• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Official Seahawk Draft thread

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woolen is fine when he isn't trying to tackle someone with a 300 pound Onlineman pushing him around. To many people were to easily getting to the 2nd level and thats what makes a running game successful. THATS one of the big reasons our run defense was so bad. Need better Dline and linebacker play to keep people clean.

Woolen will never be a great run defender most likely. But plenty of great corners were mediocre run defenders.

The bigger question for Riq is about his ability to play press man coverage which tends to require more physical play from the corners and is something that MacDonald likes to employ a lot.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woolen is fine when he isn't trying to tackle someone with a 300 pound Onlineman pushing him around. To many people were to easily getting to the 2nd level and thats what makes a running game successful. THATS one of the big reasons our run defense was so bad. Need better Dline and linebacker play to keep people clean.
I get that when that situation you mentioned happens but not going to give the guy a pass when a 190lb RB runs over him or he makes a horrible attempt at tackling the WR on the sidelines, allowing him to extend the play a few more yards downfield... That happened too often last year... He needs to improve much more this year in order to solidify him as our starting CB, imo... He was not that good last year... Kind of strange that we drafted (2) CB's with that presumably being a position of least need heading into the draft... Wasn't Riq benched in favor of MJax last season?

He got poor marks at a 37.3 in run defense while missing 9 tackle attempts (14.5%)

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that when that situation you mentioned happens but not going to give the guy a pass when a 190lb RB runs over him or he makes a horrible attempt at tackling the WR on the sidelines, allowing him to extend the play a few more yards downfield... That happened too often last year... He needs to improve much more this year in order to solidify him as our starting CB, imo... He was not that good last year... Kind of strange that we drafted (2) CB's with that presumably being a position of least need heading into the draft... Wasn't Riq benched in favor of MJax last season?

He got poor marks at a 37.3 in run defense while missing 9 tackle attempts (14.5%)

Woolen also had the best passer rating of all of our corners.

I think it is possible that MacDonald is concerned that Riq won't be a good fit in his defense and thus he might be looking to move him. I think it is ALSO possible, and probably more likely, that he doesn't think that Jackson or Brown are all that great and would like to upgrade at least one of them.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that is accurate. Per PFF:

View attachment 361024

That's the PFF grade. I was going by the numbers in Footballer Reference which had Woolen with 79 passer rating and Devon with an 81.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would consider L. Williams into this draft since we gave up a 2nd to get him... It will be fun to watch LW and BMII playing side by side...
Agreed. I'm really looking forward to Mac bringing in a Ravens style defense. Good solid draft to start and need another solid draft next year to really bring this defense to form.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I'm really looking forward to Mac bringing in a Ravens style defense. Good solid draft to start and need another solid draft next year to really bring this defense to form.

I really loved this draft. I don't know whether the specific players were the right picks or not. Honestly, nobody does. But I love that they focused on the line scrimmage. 6 of their 8 picks were line of scrimmage guys.

So much is going to rely on how well the linebackers we signed do and whether MacDonald can put our DL in positions where they can succeed.
Hopefully we go to that hybrid 3-4 with Nwosu, LW, Murphy, and Jones are the DL and we use Taylor, Mafe, and Hall as on ball backers.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woolen will never be a great run defender most likely. But plenty of great corners were mediocre run defenders.

The bigger question for Riq is about his ability to play press man coverage which tends to require more physical play from the corners and is something that MacDonald likes to employ a lot.

Never said Woolen was a great run defender but thats NOT his job.

CB like Woolen were not drafted to "tackle running backs"

Yes Woolen had a down year but wow after a PROBOWL ROOKIE SEASON you all are dickheads for bailing on him because he doesn't like to tackle at the LoS. Lets see, some of the best corners in the league over the last couple decades were not great at tackling at the LoS this isn't something thats uncommon for speed cover guys. Yes it sucks to have a guy that doesn't like to mix it up at the LoS but he still is a good Cover corner who went through the "COMMON" sophomore slump.

Our DL/LB were not doing their jobs at stopping the run and this had a knock on effect with woolen. He was not the reason our Run defense sucked LMAO.

A CB SHOULDN'T BE MAKING TACKLES ON A RB! if he is your run defense sucks and well it did.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes Woolen had a down year but wow after a PROBOWL ROOKIE SEASON you all are dickheads for bailing on him because he doesn't like to tackle at the LoS. Lets see, some of the best corners in the league over the last couple decades were not great at tackling at the LoS this isn't something thats uncommon for speed cover guys. Yes it sucks to have a guy that doesn't like to mix it up at the LoS but he still is a good Cover corner who went through the "COMMON" sophomore slump.

Our DL/LB were not doing their jobs at stopping the run and this had a knock on effect with woolen. He was not the reason our Run defense sucked LMAO.

A CB SHOULDN'T BE MAKING TACKLES ON A RB! if he is your run defense sucks and well it did.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with Pritchett and Jones is they're Corners.

We don't need CBs. We need Safeties

That is why bad grades IMO

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Where do you see me bailing on Woolen?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with Pritchett and Jones is they're Corners.

We don't need CBs. We need Safeties

That is why bad grades IMO

We drafted corners in the 5th and 6th round. If we are expecting a 5th or 6th rounder to be a starter then we are setting ourselves up for failure.

We have a bunch of safeties on the roster. Jenkins, Love, Wallace, Reed, plus Okada and Sutherland who were on the PS last year. I don't think adding bodies does all that much.

With day 3 picks, I think you take the players you think have the best chance of sticking regardless of position.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We drafted corners in the 5th and 6th round. If we are expecting a 5th or 6th rounder to be a starter then we are setting ourselves up for failure.

We have a bunch of safeties on the roster. Jenkins, Love, Wallace, Reed, plus Okada and Sutherland who were on the PS last year. I don't think adding bodies does all that much.

With day 3 picks, I think you take the players you think have the best chance of sticking regardless of position.
Agreed but I'm a PON not BPA guy.

We addressed 3 Left 3 wide open

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed but I'm a PON not BPA guy.

We addressed 3 Left 3 wide open

You focus on PON on Day 1 and 2. Day 3 is purely BPA because the odds are so low that they will actually hit.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we needed a S but lets face it, S is the least valuable position on defense. we need DL and LB a lot more.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we needed a S but lets face it, S is the least valuable position on defense. we need DL and LB a lot more.
At this point we should be very satisfied with the DL investment. Big money for Williams and Jones a first on Murphy, a second on Mafe, and the trade and resigning of Nwosu and more besides that was spent on the DL. LB remains a concern but with a improved DL that alone should assist the LBs for a improvement over last season. The run defense needs to improve from 31st in the league to at least middle of the pack and the pass defense needs to take a step forward also.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Settle down there... No need for name calling...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late to the party and didn't watch much of the draft after round 1, but a couple thoughts I take away:
  • For the first time a while, I feel like the draft was executed consistently pretty much start to finish with the stated identify of the team. Didn't try to get cute or carry on like we were smarter than everyone else, didn't over-think it with 1.16 or try some "brilliant" trade down move to make up for not having a 2nd round pick and risk losing the opportunity that fell into our lap.
  • Not all that surprised we didn't draft a QB once there were 6 off the board in the first 12 picks. This QB class seemed to be mostly about those 6, and our "flier" pick was probably Sam Howell.
  • I'm a big fan of the Byron Murphy pick. He seems to be exactly what we need in the way of a disruptive force in the middle of the DL. I doubt he's a "starter" week 1, but I can't imagine him not getting all sorts of opportunity to have as good of a rookie season as can be. Maybe some like taller/longer players on the line, but Murphy looks built for "low man wins" situations.
Looking forward to seeing these guys on the field.