• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Official Seahawk Draft thread

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One huge difference in the new order is JS hires and fires coaches. The coaching staff answers directly to him, and he stated as much early on after Pete left. The other is Schneider now having final say in all football decisions, vs Pete having it before. Those are 2 big differences that I don't think can be stated casually. The process of how we do this year's draft might not be worlds apart from how it's been done in the past, but the decision authority that produces the outcome is certainly changed.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last two drafts (where I believe is when Pete had his 'power' removed - after the Wilson trade) were very uncharacteristic of Seattle in the Pete era. No moving back in the 1st, taking a DB in the 1st (even though Pete loved him), and a WR.... no crazy reaches... high value picks with Cross - could've gone top 5, and JSN - could've gone top 15 (could be argued we should've taken Carter but Witherspoon was a pro bowler, Carter was not - Detroit certainly seemed miffed with us)... it's almost like Carroll switched to the 3-4 to have his last little ounce of control with the team and roster decisions lol. When it failed horribly, he was fired.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unbelievable how many ASSUMPTIONS being posted here as FACTS. lmao.

lets see it was 2016? 2017 when Pete said "I am to busy during the season to be heavily involved ins player scouting/trades."

My assumption which is as good as anyone's here is JS had a lot of control in player personal moves and had as much power if not more in players drafted as he had more time to interact with scouts or in some cases his OWN scouting of players not to mention he is the one that would be making the phone calls DURING the season for trades. Pete was involved yes but his time was spent coaching and in the offseason JS had way more info on players scouting than Pete did. NEITHER had final say but if one did on a player NOT on the Hawks or in the draft JS would trump Pete for time invested and knowledge.

Like it or not Pete and JS were in bed with each other and both are 100% responsible for the mess we are in. Don't be foolish or stupid just to throw Pete under the bus when in fact it was every bit JS as much as it was Pete if not more. Putting the blame on the one person thats gone is lazy thinking.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unbelievable how many ASSUMPTIONS being posted here as FACTS. lmao.

lets see it was 2016? 2017 when Pete said "I am to busy during the season to be heavily involved ins player scouting/trades."

My assumption which is as good as anyone's here is JS had a lot of control in player personal moves and had as much power if not more in players drafted as he had more time to interact with scouts or in some cases his OWN scouting of players not to mention he is the one that would be making the phone calls DURING the season for trades. Pete was involved yes but his time was spent coaching and in the offseason JS had way more info on players scouting than Pete did. NEITHER had final say but if one did on a player NOT on the Hawks or in the draft JS would trump Pete for time invested and knowledge.

Like it or not Pete and JS were in bed with each other and both are 100% responsible for the mess we are in. Don't be foolish or stupid just to throw Pete under the bus when in fact it was every bit JS as much as it was Pete if not more. Putting the blame on the one person thats gone is lazy thinking.

anyone looking to give JS a pass is fooling themselves.

But it was pretty clear who was in charge when Pete was here.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much is made of Pete having final say on things. GM and HC need to work together otherwise you have a mess. Shanahan and Lynch or McVay and Snead work together and the GM for both teams run the draft and are in charge of the scouting. I'm sure both Shanahan and Mcvay have a say if they feel the team has a need and what type of players are needed. Seems like some here want to give JS credit for the positives and give Pete the blame for the negatives when the reality they share both the credit and the blame.
Despite JS now having final say, it's not changing much as Macdonald and the coaching staff will have their input, convey what positions they have needs at and what type of players they are looking for, but JS is the one running the draft, making trades up or down. Same as always.
I think the whole last word came about because Pete had some experience with a GM who wasn't working with him (Patriots) and in fact the next HC on that team got the power Pete got here.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much is made of Pete having final say on things. GM and HC need to work together otherwise you have a mess. Shanahan and Lynch or McVay and Snead work together and the GM for both teams run the draft and are in charge of the scouting. I'm sure both Shanahan and Mcvay have a say if they feel the team has a need and what type of players are needed. Seems like some here want to give JS credit for the positives and give Pete the blame for the negatives when the reality they share both the credit and the blame.
Despite JS now having final say, it's not changing much as Macdonald and the coaching staff will have their input, convey what positions they have needs at and what type of players they are looking for, but JS is the one running the draft, making trades up or down. Same as always.
I think the whole last word came about because Pete had some experience with a GM who wasn't working with him (Patriots) and in fact the next HC on that team got the power Pete got here.
100% correct.

YEP and that's all because Pete is no longer here. THATS THE ONLY REASON! I feel bad for the people that think like this because its based 100% off emotion not facts and is just lazy thinking. I myself wouldn't even call it thinking but more like knee jerk reactions to make them sleep better at night haha.

What i see that could have happened more often than many here realize is Pete and John might not have agreed on players so they would move to a different player that they agreed on. This might be why we got Penny not Chubb and so on. Reaches on players or were they just the first guy they agreed on with the highest draft grade??? makes one think.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a couple years ago and I'm not sure where the articles were, but I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Pete lost quite a bit of power after the Wilson trade....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a couple years ago and I'm not sure where the articles were, but I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Pete lost quite a bit of power after the Wilson trade....
Couple of things
1) Jody went along with the Wilson trade but wanted to see the team progressing in the right direction. These after the season meetings with Jody were no lark. She asked tough questions and made clear there would be accountability. Frankly she has been nothing like we (Seahawks fans) expected. She engaged with what is going on and in fact is a tough boss. That's my take anyhow.

2) Lately I've heard it said that JS took control after the Wilson trade, but like any story or rumor it gets changed in the telling until it's unrecognizable from what was originally said. This rumor came about when JS got his extension. He asked that a clause be added that the coaching staff fall under his domain once Pete was no longer with the team. He asked this because he felt Pete may retire soon. This is where it started and now after multiple telling it has changed to "Pete lost power after the RW trade".

The only thing that really changed is Jody is in charge and she expected results or changes would be made barring extenuating circumstances.

Last edited:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of things
1) Jody went along with the Wilson trade but wanted to see the team progressing in the right direction. These after the season meetings with Jody were no lark. She asked tough questions and made clear there would be accountability. Frankly she has been nothing like we (Seahawks fans) expected. She engaged with what is going on and in fact is a tough boss. That's my take anyhow.

2) Lately I've heard it said that JS took control after the Wilson trade, but like any story or rumor it gets changed in the telling until it's unrecognizable from what was originally said. This rumor came about when JS got his extension. He asked that a clause be added that the coaching staff fall under his domain once Pete was no longer with the team. He asked this because he felt Pete may retire soon. This is where it started and now after multiple telling it has changed to "Pete lost power after the RW trade".

The only thing that really changed is Jody was in charge and she expected results or changes would be made barring extenuating circumstances.
I like her approach. Let the FO do their jobs but if you fuck up, you own it.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was her brother's appraoch.
And she's sticking to it which is nice. I wasn't sure at the time when she took over if she was going to be fully invested or not. Still early but I kind of feel she may keep the team instead of selling.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And she's sticking to it which is nice. I wasn't sure at the time when she took over if she was going to be fully invested or not. Still early but I kind of feel she may keep the team instead of selling.

I think she is obligated to sell the team.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think she is obligated to sell the team.

I don't think she has to sell the team soon (there was no formal date, but she is obligated at some point to sell and the proceeds or profit goes to Paul Allen's marked charities), but it's in her interest to wait until 2025 to sell per an arrangement with the state of Washington to avoid a 10% 'sales tax' so to speak.

I thought the removal of Carroll kind of meant Jody was not willing to sell the team (given new ownership usually means new coaches, etc.) but who knows... Again, she does not have to sell the team in 2025 and I don't think Allen's will had any specific date it has to be done by.... she could hold onto the team for 20 years... it's just whenever she does sell it, Paul had stipulations (charities) that it'd go to.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jody has stated that 10 to 20 years is "a fair and accurate time frame" to sell the Seahawks. So could be a while yet.

When she moved on from Pete this year, I was thinking there's no way she sells 'soon'. If she wanted to sell I would've thought she'd keep Pete onboard for one more season since new regimes usually mean new head coaches. It wouldn't make any sense for MacDonald to come here if he knew the team would be sold the following year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When she moved on from Pete this year, I was thinking there's no way she sells 'soon'. If she wanted to sell I would've thought she'd keep Pete onboard for one more season since new regimes usually mean new head coaches. It wouldn't make any sense for MacDonald to come here if he knew the team would be sold the following year.
Yup yup yup.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think people just like to BELIEVE it was Pete and not JS, how their dreams have been crushed. So in actuality JS has had pretty much free reign. This is about how i saw it except I figured they were more 50/50 into it and from this it sounds like JS pretty much did what ever he wanted as long as it didn't turn Pete sour. JS says rarely so that means it did happen at least once and it think it was with the drafting of Wilson, JS wanted him in the first Pete did not.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people just like to BELIEVE it was Pete and not JS, how their dreams have been crushed. So in actuality JS has had pretty much free reign. This is about how i saw it except I figured they were more 50/50 into it and from this it sounds like JS pretty much did what ever he wanted as long as it didn't turn Pete sour. JS says rarely so that means it did happen at least once and it think it was with the drafting of Wilson, JS wanted him in the first Pete did not.
Well I don't think JS did whatever he wanted, that's too strong, obviously he wants the staff to be on broad with picks and trades. What I heard about drafting RW is JS was wanting to pull the trigger in round 2 and Pete told him wait one more round ( He didn't want to miss out on Wagner).

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I don't think JS did whatever he wanted, that's too strong

I said as long as it didn't turn Pete sour. Like JS said it was more along the lines of "I could tell when he didn't like a trade or acquisition". Other than that Pete let him do what he pretty much wanted to help the team. Drafting and tendencies should feel about the same as any other draft. Good or bad we are going to have to ride with it.