• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Official Seahawk Draft thread

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you would likely find a similar hit rate for most positions, or worse. Even when you are talking about the top drafting teams, they still don't do much better than 50%
Yeah, you could very well be right. I wonder what positions are the 'easiest' to hit on (in round 1). I know it's not QB. Maybe CB?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you could very well be right. I wonder what positions are the 'easiest' to hit on (in round 1). I know it's not QB. Maybe CB?

OL and EDGE in this draft. We know probably 5 QBs and 3 WRs are going in the top 10... I will also say Bowers at 16 is a possibility and that is very much a hit although I wouldn't say it's easy.

If you need an OL and you're drafting in the first half of this year... this is kind of the year to pull the trigger. I know Schneider doesn't like IOL early... but if there was a draft where we're picking....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure looks like Troy Fautanu is the most popular player being mocked for the Hawks at 16. Hard to be upset about that, though it's certainly not the sexy/flashy choice. Unless you just whiff on the player, it's difficult to go wrong by beefing up the trenches. The other player I've seen projected for us who is really interesting to me is Payton Wilson, ILB from NC State. Chad Reuter has us taking him after trading down to 22. I'm too lazy to check to see if that mock came out before we signed the 2 LBs, but those are both 1 year deals anyway.
More and more mocks have the Seahawks taking Troy Fautanu and easy to understand, it's a position of need, highly thought of and our new OC coached him in college. Mocks that have the Seahawks trading back are all over the place. Lately I've seen Graham Barton being the choice. Again a position of need, highly thought of and is said to be able to play all the OL positions. I have seen mocks (when the Seahawks trade back) where the Seahawks go DT (when a DT drops in a mock Murphy or Newton) then taking a OL in the second.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More and more mocks have the Seahawks taking Troy Fautanu and easy to understand, it's a position of need, highly thought of and our new OC coached him in college. Mocks that have the Seahawks trading back are all over the place. Lately I've seen Graham Barton being the choice. Again a position of need, highly thought of and is said to be able to play all the OL positions. I have seen mocks (when the Seahawks trade back) where the Seahawks go DT (when a DT drops in a mock Murphy or Newton) then taking a OL in the second.

I'm quite curious to see what Seattle will do if positions of necessary 'not need' fall to them.

Latu, Turner, Bowers, Odunze (I imagine he'll go early but he could fall).... going to be quite interesting...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm quite curious to see what Seattle will do if positions of necessary 'not need' fall to them.

Latu, Turner, Bowers, Odunze (I imagine he'll go early but he could fall).... going to be quite interesting...
Looking at the board QBs, WRs and OTs are going ahead of the 16th pick which will push top players at other positions down the board, however missing that second round pick makes it feel like that will lead to a trade back. In the past it does seem like JS likes moving back and adding picks and this year the second round has better prospects then usual it seems like. I do wonder if JS has a surprise for Seahawks fans this draft like he's has in the past.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the board QBs, WRs and OTs are going ahead of the 16th pick which will push top players at other positions down the board, however missing that second round pick makes it feel like that will lead to a trade back. In the past it does seem like JS likes moving back and adding picks and this year the second round has better prospects then usual it seems like. I do wonder if JS has a surprise for Seahawks fans this draft like he's has in the past.

I'll disagree with you a little bit... it seems like Seattle moved back because Carroll wanted to move back. Seattle over the last couple years stood exactly still and took the BPA.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll disagree with you a little bit... it seems like Seattle moved back because Carroll wanted to move back. Seattle over the last couple years stood exactly still and took the BPA.
The last two drafts Seahawks had top ten picks which is different then Seahawks usual position in the draft. Secondly did JS try to move back but didn't find a offer good enough? Hard to say. I strongly disagree that Pete was micro managing the draft especially the last half a dozen drafts because he no longer had personal insights on players coming out of the draft. Pete is more the CEO type and personally I felt Pete would of been more attracted to taking a swing at a home run and moving up to grab a star.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last two drafts Seahawks had top ten picks which is different then Seahawks usual position in the draft. Secondly did JS try to move back but didn't find a offer good enough? Hard to say. I strongly disagree that Pete was micro managing the draft especially the last half a dozen drafts because he no longer had personal insights on players coming out of the draft. Pete is more the CEO type and personally I felt Pete would of been more attracted to taking a swing at a home run and moving up to grab a star.

I mean fair point.. Seattle hired John and Pete the same year if I recall, and we did not trade back in the draft with Okung and Thomas.... so maybe you got something there.

To me it seemed like the drafting philosophy changed in 2022 but you could be bringing up a good point... did we not have the draft capital in other drafts to make a decision let alone that move.

I dunno... fair points that I can't disagree with.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it is far more likely that Pete was the one who defined the draft board than any particular trades.

JS traded up or down based on who was left of their draft board.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is far more likely that Pete was the one who defined the draft board than any particular trades.

JS traded up or down based on who was left of their draft board.
Pete had a full time job coaching, been out of college loop for over a decade. What leads you to believe he defined the draft board?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete had a full time job coaching, been out of college loop for over a decade. What leads you to believe he defined the draft board?

Because the draft board is a mix of talent and need and value. Pete wasn't scouting the players of course. But he was probably the final say on where each player slotted.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the draft board is a mix of talent and need and value. Pete wasn't scouting the players of course. But he was probably the final say on where each player slotted.
If he wasn't scouting players how would he slot the players? Now if Pete felt the team had a need at a position I'm sure he let JS know, but I don't see Pete getting involved with all the phone calls made to see if a move up or down can be made. That's JS job.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wasn't scouting players how would he slot the players? Now if Pete felt the team had a need at a position I'm sure he let JS know, but I don't see Pete getting involved with all the phone calls made to see if a move up or down can be made. That's JS job.

You think JS was scouting the players? There are literally hundreds of players with dozens of hours of film.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think JS was scouting the players? There are literally hundreds of players with dozens of hours of film.
Of course that is why every GM has a scouting staff. JS watches college games to scout players while Pete is busy preparing for the next opponent but yeah it's too big a job for one person which is why every team has the scouting department.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course that is why every GM has a scouting staff. JS watches college games to scout players while Pete is busy preparing for the next opponent but yeah it's too big a job for one person which is why every team has the scouting department.

I'm sure JS and Pete both watched games. JS likely watched more.

But Pete always had the final say on football decisions.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sucks we don't have a 2nd round pick. Sure there are OT worth 1st round grades that many are talking about sliding inside to the guard position where they could be stars but After those guys the true inside talent Guard/Center is 2nd round talent. We need linebackers also and this is a BAD group of linebackers where we might not see one picked till after the 40th or 50th selection. CB group also not all that great and Safeties are not much better if they even are. I see depth players all over the place in positions of need for us not starters. Going to have to draft a OT and slide him inside. As far as Linebackers and Safeties I wouldn't hold your breath that we find a starter quality player in any of those positions.

If the Hawks trade down and pick up a late round 2nd they might find a player in the late 2nd round that could be a future star but not at a position of need. If you need Safeties, CB or linebackers this is NOT the draft for you. Hell even TE is thin, yes there is a good TE ( Bowers ) in this class then a couple solid back-ups ( Sanders, Stover ) but that's about it. Hawks need OL, DT, Linebacker, Safety and TE. Yuck. There are maybe 3 players in those groups that would be available to use in the 1st or 2nd rounds worth drafting ( OL, DT ) but we DO NOT have a 2nd and if they trade down to get a 2nd they will miss out on a starter quality Olineman most likely.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure JS and Pete both watched games. JS likely watched more.

But Pete always had the final say on football decisions.
If your focus on final say that would be the owner. JS was the GM and his duties included running the draft and making the decisions. I'm not divorcing JS from his history by saying it was Pete making the decisions in the draft, because I don't believe that to be the case in most instances anymore then I would say Macdonald is making the decisions if JS drafts players that fit his system or Grubbs. Obviously the GM works hand and glove with the coaching staff or it becomes disfunctional.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your focus on final say that would be the owner. JS was the GM and his duties included running the draft and making the decisions. I'm not divorcing JS from his history by saying it was Pete making the decisions in the draft, because I don't believe that to be the case in most instances anymore then I would say Macdonald is making the decisions if JS drafts players that fit his system or Grubbs. Obviously the GM works hand and glove with the coaching staff or it becomes disfunctional.

Obviously JS has a lot of influence in personnel decision. But I don't think it is reasonable to say that JS' role is the same with Macdonald as it was with Pete.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously JS has a lot of influence in personnel decision. But I don't think it is reasonable to say that JS' role is the same with Macdonald as it was with Pete.
Not the same but probably not that different either. Pete's more the CEO type and not a micro manager. Obviously Macdonald doesn't have the veto power Pete had but other then that should be pretty similar otherwise IDK how it would work.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the same but probably not that different either. Pete's more the CEO type and not a micro manager. Obviously Macdonald doesn't have the veto power Pete had but other then that should be pretty similar otherwise IDK how it would work.

I think you are downplaying Pete's influence a lot. Pete most definitely was a micro manager, as all head coaches are.