• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you know I do lean more towards the analytics approach, but not entirely and do 100% agree with your criticisms of it, which is why I wouldn't completely categorize myself in that camp.

You're 100% correct that the analytics approach has made the game a lot less fun. Less steals and less balls put in play. I can't find the exact graphic, but prior to around 2010 there were essentially zero teams that had a team batting average under .240. In 2022 (I think that was the last year they had there) it was something like 14.

I'm too lazy to break this into multiple quotes, but regarding your question of what is the difference between Kyle Seager bunting for a base hit vs. taking a walk is two fold to my understanding. First, bunting for a base hit is pretty improbable even if you're a great bunter with great speed. Second, if a guy takes a walk that means he likely worked the count which forces the pitcher to throw more pitches which means he'll be out of the game or fatigued quicker.

I will say where the analytics shines is with defense. Jeter won gold gloves just because he played for the Yankees and would have some flashy plays here and there, but to my recollection was just an average defensive player who actually graded out worse than that by the analytics crowd.

Personally I also like the pitch clock because it forces the hitter and pitcher to actually play the game + shortens the games, but it'll take some getting used to because in the one game I've watched it felt a little rushed. Also I'd like it a lot more if I didn't see a giant clock on the field counting down on my screen. Perhaps it'll look different in major league stadiums, but I'd prefer the clock not be on the screen and perhaps be where they show the scores similar to football and basketball. I found it a bit distracting.
I get the working the pitch count argument in theory but it doesn’t make sense to me. My argument obviously is pre shift ban. But my argument is sacrificing a bunt 1 time will make the pitcher eventually throw more pitches because he can no longer only try to pitch 1/3 of the zone, or it will cause more pitches because defenses would have to play more honest. I guess my main argument against it is they use, IMO, faulty numbers.

I wasn’t using defensive metrics with Jeter analogy, I was using that saying old school isn’t 100% perfect either. No idea if they have evolved the numbers or not, but I do know that was the negative about the Wong trade because eventually was the worst defensive 2B.

I get that sentiment. But is it really anymore distracting or take anymore getting used to than the newest advertisement each team gets? I fully admit if I didn’t have kids I probably would dislike it too though.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t see the game did you see watch it or how did he look? I am just so confused with this guy with his college career along with the scouting reports on him all the way up until this offseason. He was a starter last year but I can’t recall anyone projecting him the way they started this offseason. Unless I am remembering things wrong, it was Hancock with the big upside with the other 3, which I think was Miller, Dollard and Woo who’s upside were number 3’s or high leverage bullpen arms.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you know I do lean more towards the analytics approach, but not entirely and do 100% agree with your criticisms of it, which is why I wouldn't completely categorize myself in that camp.

You're 100% correct that the analytics approach has made the game a lot less fun. Less steals and less balls put in play. I can't find the exact graphic, but prior to around 2010 there were essentially zero teams that had a team batting average under .240. In 2022 (I think that was the last year they had there) it was something like 14.

I'm too lazy to break this into multiple quotes, but regarding your question of what is the difference between Kyle Seager bunting for a base hit vs. taking a walk is two fold to my understanding. First, bunting for a base hit is pretty improbable even if you're a great bunter with great speed. Second, if a guy takes a walk that means he likely worked the count which forces the pitcher to throw more pitches which means he'll be out of the game or fatigued quicker.

I will say where the analytics shines is with defense. Jeter won gold gloves just because he played for the Yankees and would have some flashy plays here and there, but to my recollection was just an average defensive player who actually graded out worse than that by the analytics crowd.

Personally I also like the pitch clock because it forces the hitter and pitcher to actually play the game + shortens the games, but it'll take some getting used to because in the one game I've watched it felt a little rushed. Also I'd like it a lot more if I didn't see a giant clock on the field counting down on my screen. Perhaps it'll look different in major league stadiums, but I'd prefer the clock not be on the screen and perhaps be where they show the scores similar to football and basketball. I found it a bit distracting.
I did forget to put one thing I actually do love about the analytics guys, which is “high leverage” arms in the bullpen. If the dude is a “closer” I had always wondered why he couldn’t pitch his 6th or 7th inning when they needed to slam the door. The other argument is they need specific roles, but I’d rather Castillo or insert dude having a 2 run lead in the 9th vs a tie game with the bases loaded in the 6th.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t see the game did you see watch it or how did he look? I am just so confused with this guy with his college career along with the scouting reports on him all the way up until this offseason. He was a starter last year but I can’t recall anyone projecting him the way they started this offseason. Unless I am remembering things wrong, it was Hancock with the big upside with the other 3, which I think was Miller, Dollard and Woo who’s upside were number 3’s or high leverage bullpen arms.
I did not see the game and I have never seen this kid pitch. I can't wait for the opportunity to see what all the buzz is about.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pulling for the guy, primarily because he can help the ballclub greatly if he can bring his numbers up anywhere remotely close to his original ranking / predicted numbers.

Although it's a cliche' ... when you have hit bottom, the only direction you can move is up.

Both Kelenic and White have the opportunity to help the Mariners reach new heights this season. If all the rest of the team ( especially pitching staff ) just maintains last years numbers, the addition of both White and Kelenic as mainstays in our line up and on the field have the potential of the M's being a 95 win team this season.

I think the next 8-12 weeks are make or break for Jared Kelenics baseball career ( with the Seattle Mariners organization )

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually got lucky and saw it live. Turns out I have channel from Chicago called Marquee and it was on. Turned it n to see Brash get screwed on a 3-2 slider right down the middle called ball 4 to load the bases with no outs.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually got lucky and saw it live. Turns out I have channel from Chicago called Marquee and it was on. Turned it n to see Brash get screwed on a 3-2 slider right down the middle called ball 4 to load the bases with no outs.
Obviously this is spring training so whatever, but I may have to change my opinion on Kelenic not being a 25 HR a year guy cause damn that was opposite field effortlessly.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1