• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 offseason thread

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit!

I can't believe John Collins finally got off the trade block. Myles Turner is so lonely now

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New CBA has left the trade market in shambles. No one wants large money deals.

People are REALLY overplaying that excuse.

The new CBA only changes things for teams that were $17.5M OVER the tax threshold. ATL wasnt ever going to qualify. Mostly because they could never afford that. They have never been over the luxury tax......let alone over by such a large amount.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiting for the report this afternoon about how he loves Portland and wants to win there.

Then around midnight he'll like a post on Instagram about him teaming with Butler and Ba

This was reported days ago.

But, it’s funny they left out the part of who he’s over there with.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb fuck.

At absolute worst, he’d be Lauri Markennan.

Say, wasn’t that guy Allstar material?
Everyone seems to remember Larry Bird after he was in a back brace. He was never a supreme athlete, but he was a good enough one before his body disintegrated.

Edit: I also would love to see what prime Bird would be like with modern day views on the 3.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone seems to remember Larry Bird after he was in a back brace. He was never a supreme athlete, but he was a good enough one before his body disintegrated.

Did you know Larry Legend's the only NBAer to win ROY, League MVP, Finals MVP, all star game MVP, COY & executive of the year?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Edit: I also would love to see what prime Bird would be like with modern day views on the 3.

I always hate that obituaries use the most recent photo of a person more often than not.

Dont show me a person when they were old. Show me a photo when they were in their prime!

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always hate that obituaries use the most recent photo of a person more often than not.

Dont show me a person when they were old. Show me a photo when they were in their prime!
What is crazy, Bird with an injury that ends 99% of peoples careers and he put up 20/9/8 for 2 years.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,596.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if the Hawks might use that trade exception to add a player.....

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again.....if the CBA had kept the exact same rules in place as the previous one, ATL would still have made this move to get under the luxury tax.

Most if not all of the moves we have seen this offseason would have played out the same under the previous agreement.

The simple fact is that the NBA was out of cap space this year like no other year than we have ever seen. Normally you have anywhere from 5-8 teams rolling into the offseason with $20M of cap space (and some a lot more).

This year there are literally only 4 teams with cap space. And only 2 of them have a significant amount of it (Houston with $50M and Indy with $16M). That is absolutely unheard of.

Hell even the example he gives of the Jazz is offbase. They dont have cap space. Which means they weren't allowed to sign any free agent past exemptions without sending money out either.

People talking about the new CBA effecting so much are completely exaggerating its effect. Most of what we have seen THUS far wouldnt have changed. Now some teams who are willing to spend most years might get crazy down the road and give away a good player for nothing to get under the 2nd apron....but it hasnt happened quite yet.