• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Off Season Thread

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but disagree. They all need to go. I just think they got lucky, the west is weak and the kings look better than they really are. Those of us that pay attention can see they basically floundered to this position. Unfortunately i am convinced they are targeting a season from now for a G and that is Flakes "window". Unless they collapse completely this season we got him for min of 2 im guessing 3

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Floundered" is a great adjective. I do not see a plan like we saw with Dumbo, I see a bunch of mish mash moves throwing shit on a wall and seeing what will stick.

You're probably right about Blake, and probably even McLellan - I think the Kings will keep them for the sake of continuity more than anything else regardless of results, but I do think after what will be his 7th year at the wheel and if they don't get out of the first round, a new leadership group needs to be brought in. There simply has not been enough success under Blake, period. If you go to the drafting alone, his win is Anderson - he inherited Kopitar and Doughty, Kempe and Roy were drafted under Dumbo. The draft is my focal point because that is how you build a long term winner. Vegas is an anomaly, not the rule but it sure seems like he is following that "plan".

There is way too much of a country club feel with no accountability at Staples.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, who’s going to clean house? What I mean is, Phil is pretty hands off. I honestly don’t think that he cares about the Kings at all. To him they’re the anchor for Crypto. So who would fire Flake and Lucky? Also, who would take over if they are fired?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you consider “Flaming Out”?

Another first round loss. 104 points, Korpisalo, Gavrikov, plenty of offense and a 3-0 lead in G4 only to lose in 6 games instead of 7? I fully consider 2022-23 a step back even though they broke 100 points.

After capping the team out to where they can't even afford a standard 23 man roster and another first round exit, someone's head needs to roll. We will see how it goes I suppose.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, who’s going to clean house? What I mean is, Phil is pretty hands off. I honestly don’t think that he cares about the Kings at all. To him they’re the anchor for Crypto. So who would fire Flake and Lucky? Also, who would take over if they are fired?
Not sure who would take over but AEG did bring Dumbo from outside the organization and it paid off well so I would hope they'd do the same thing again. Can't replace Blake with a Blake clone. Dan Beckerman would make that call, AEG CEO. Robotile and Bowlby report to him.

Uncle Phil is 100% hands off, he doesn't give two squats about the Kings, they're just a tax write off for him.

Last edited:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Blake has to compare himself to Dumbo, you know he does. Dumbo's fourth year on the job, WCQF loss. Fifth year, WCQF loss. Sixth year, Stanley Cup. Seventh year, WCF appearance. Eighth year, Stanley Cup.

Blake's fourth year (2021), no POs. Fifth year (2022), 7 game WCQF loss. Sixth year (2023), 6 game WCQF loss.

Big shoes to fill yes, but there has to be more organizational success. Under Dumbo Ontario was even winning more meaningful games.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Legend is scheduled for 7/28, I believe it'll either be signed at the eleventh hour to avoid arbitration or they'll go. Since Vilardi elected, the Jets control term (1 or 2 years) and if he truly is seeking $4.5-$5 million it makes 110% sense why LA moved him. He wants money but his lack of availability is a true concern for any team not just LA or Winnipeg.

Worst possible scenario for Winnipeg would be to get an award they do not feel comfortable with and then walking away. Imagine that, Vilardi would have been traded in a blockbuster only to hit free agency 6-8 weeks later.

That actually might benefit him, he would immediately become the best UFA left in early August and you know some team would give him a 5x$6 or something.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick article, sounds like he knows he is no longer the top dog and is willing to pass on what he can. Still bummed he didn't finish as a King and how it all went down, but taking the sentimentality out of it he was nothing short of bad last season.

Hope he can ride his career out healthy and thanks buddy - you were an awesome King.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Villardi takes 2 year bridge deal. $3.4375 (how does one come up with this number, I don't know).

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So so deal, Great deal for the jets who are in no position to do anything anyway..... So if he works out great if he gets hurt, it does not ruin their season

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually a decent deal for Vilardi, but Jets were smart limiting it to 2 years. Got nothing against the guy, hope he stays healthy and sets himself up for a bigger deal in 2 years.

That dollar figure however would bot have worked for LA at all considering their cap situation, lot of stuff making sense now connecting the dots.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Villardi takes 2 year bridge deal. $3.4375 (how does one come up with this number, I don't know).

Haha I know, I always crack up when I see XX signs 7 year/$47.10562 million...and 0.03 contract.

A lot of it actually has to do with MQOs for their following contracts (for RFAs anyway), literally $100,000 puts them on a different bracket which affects team cap, potential Offer Sheets and subsequent draft pick compensation, etc.

It's all calculated for a specific reason and why teams have capologists.

Last edited:

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analogically bore the crap out of me. I do enough math in real life, homework with kids, work, etc., so I really don’t care how the analyst arrived at the answer, I only care about the end results.
So whenever is see an article that has a preamble discussing the hows and the whys, I get bored.
This article isn’t that, yeah they talk about the analytics and have links to the formulas and such, but they jump right in and I like that.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting. It’s now or never for Q and a few others.

Absolutely. The Kings are in win now mode and the training wheels needs to come off.

Nothing has developed from the vaunted prospect pool (in fact TA did a Top 50 Summer Prospect ranking today and the Kings have 1 player on that list, Clarke at 10. They gutted roster players, not really prospects so consider that. The pool isn't that good) and now basically L1-3 are set depending on Kaliyev and Buster producing. PLD acquisition should have lit a fire under Buster's ass and I hope it does, it's show time or no time for a guy like him. Don't want to be pessimistic but after seeing him for 3 years there is nothing special about him but I truly hope he proves me 200% wrong because that only helps LA.

Such a huge year for this franchise on so many different levels.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Kings’ goalie situation is a C at best, the defense is going to have to pick up the slack. The offense is going to have to put up at least 4 goals per game in order to make up for goals against. And I don’t think that this offense is going to be able to put up enough goals in order to cover for the lack of skill in goal.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings are banking on just capable goaltending this season assuming the defense will remain strong in terms of limiting high danger chances and eliminating second or more chances and also that the offense will improve with PLD, Kopitar and Dunno elevating winger play.

This is where Buster and Kaliyev play a role, they absolutely must produce and show more than they have to date.

Like others have stated, the plan is to most likely upgrade in net either at the deadline when more cap space is available or during the offseason when the cap will go up considerably more.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think budter and/or kaliyev are moved st deadline if their current play continues. If they show promiss, then the Kings bank on offseason to pick up a G

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think budter and/or kaliyev are moved st deadline if their current play continues. If they show promiss, then the Kings bank on offseason to pick up a G
But that defeats the purpose of the “win” now trade that Flake made. If the can is being kicked down to next season, what was the point of taking on so much salary?