• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torts had a few nitpicks with Brink's game. Sounded mostly like a maturity thing. Whatever it was he had his reasons and hopefully the kid gets to stay. He really is a ball of energy whenever he is on the ice. I have scratched my head before at some of Torts moves, but this year, benching, etc. see to be working.
Like I said to Las, he should sit awhile(Atkinson )and let Brink grow. It's truly night and day to any fan at this point.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peterson out, Sandstrom in!
Not only that, Petersen is on waivers and could theoretically be claimed by another team. I don't think it's very likely though, but you just never know.

That was pretty horrific on Sunday. We really should've won at least one of those two weekend games. A couple more slip-ups like that and we're fighting for our lives in the playoff race. Friday night at Washington is another big one.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that, Petersen is on waivers and could theoretically be claimed by another team. I don't think it's very likely though, but you just never know.

That was pretty horrific on Sunday. We really should've won at least one of those two weekend games. A couple more slip-ups like that and we're fighting for our lives in the playoff race. Friday night at Washington is another big one.
It is what it is.

I think we can all agree that we're playing with house money right now, so whether they buy/sell/do nothing, so long as Briere/Jones keep updating us on what they're thinking for the long term, I'm pretty happy and confident with the direction things are going.

I mean, it can always be better.
But, let's also remember that we probably didn't expect to have a playoff conversation at the beginning of the season.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanev goes for a 2nd, a mid-level prospect formerly taken in the 2nd round, and a 3rd if the Stars make the cup finals. Unfortunately underwhelming return I would say. Danny will have a hard time getting more than that for Walker.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanev goes for a 2nd, a mid-level prospect formerly taken in the 2nd round, and a 3rd if the Stars make the cup finals. Unfortunately underwhelming return I would say. Danny will have a hard time getting more than that for Walker.
Not really to underwhelming to me, he's a decent player, but he's basically a 34 year old journeyman defenseman IMO. Not sure he's a game changer, but he will be solid for the Stars. Hopefully Danny B pulls some magic and dumps Risto so we can keep Walker/ Seeler.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really to underwhelming to me, he's a decent player, but he's basically a 34 year old journeyman defenseman IMO. Not sure he's a game changer, but he will be solid for the Stars. Hopefully Danny B pulls some magic and dumps Risto so we can keep Walker/ Seeler.

Ya, only reason I say underwhelming is because he was the top rental RHD available (according to most people) and somebody normally pays through the nose for that guy at the deadline. Plus the 'heavy, physical, playoff-style' stuff typically gets some inflation at the deadline too.

On the bright side, makes Walker the top RHD left. So that should make him a hot commodity.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, only reason I say underwhelming is because he was the top rental RHD available (according to most people) and somebody normally pays through the nose for that guy at the deadline. Plus the 'heavy, physical, playoff-style' stuff typically gets some inflation at the deadline too.

On the bright side, makes Walker the top RHD left. So that should make him a hot commodity.
At this point, minus Drysdale and Risto, we kind of need him though.

That said, if this is a game of poker, we're holding pocket aces right now.

We can play him in four more games and then sell high on him at the deadline (March 8th).

If nobody is willing to play ball, we keep him for a likely playoff birth/run and try to re-sign him. I don't think we will lose him for nothing and if we do, that's unfortunate, but we're still a year or two ahead of schedule in a lot of ways. We still probably need a top pairing defenseman anyway.

Also, at the end of the day, the playoff experience for our youngsters has a lot of value.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, minus Drysdale and Risto, we kind of need him though.

That said, if this is a game of poker, we're holding pocket aces right now.

We can play him in four more games and then sell high on him at the deadline (March 8th).

If nobody is willing to play ball, we keep him for a likely playoff birth/run and try to re-sign him. I don't think we will lose him for nothing and if we do, that's unfortunate, but we're still a year or two ahead of schedule in a lot of ways. We still probably need a top pairing defenseman anyway.

Also, at the end of the day, the playoff experience for our youngsters has a lot of value.

I think the bold is kind of the key. Same need exists for a top 6 C. It's fun that they're significantly more competitive this year than expected, and guys like TK, Tippet, Farabee, and Frost are looking like higher caliber players than maybe expected coming in to the year. But there's still some pretty significant holes in the roster when compared to teams like Colorado, Vegas, Tampa, Dallas, etc. Sure they've beaten some of those teams in one off regular season games, but to beat them 4 out of 7 is another thing.

Walker, to me, is a decent #4. If you can get an asset that could amount to something more that, I'd move him. Seeler is a good #5 or #6 on a cup contender, if the return could result in more than that, he should go. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to get locked on to those level guys before you get the top of the lineup situated. All it's going to do is lead to more mediocre finishes where they're good enough to stay out of the basement but not good enough to truly compete.

I agree w/ Briere and Jones that the deadline still needs to be focused on the future, even if it means sacrificing a shot at the playoffs this year. The long term goal of yearly cup contention is more important.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got that right awaz! If we can somehow get somebody to take Risto, than Walker and Seeker stay here.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On SXM NHL today, they had the Dallas color guy on. He says the Dallas GM would not part with #1, but also he really hated giving up the prospect that he did.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hold Walker for two main reasons right now. We kind of need him in these next four games before the deadline. Secondly, his value should only increase as time trickles away and he is the last significant option at his position. It's tough for Briere because he has to weigh whether signing Walker at a certain price is more valuable than shipping him or the odds of him re-signing with us in the offseason anyway if we do ship him. Also, don't just trade him for anything. He definitely has significant value.

Definitely, we win if we retain some of his salary and get a 1st round pick for him, then re-sign him in the offseason. But, we also win if we keep him, upset someone in the playoffs and then re-sign him.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devils made a smart move helping this trade happen by retaining 25% of Tanevs salary for a 4th round pick.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, just fucking Wow! 5 unanswered goals! Yea at this point I have to agree with Awaz, I'd rather see pieces leaving to build a strong future. Even if we made the playoffs we ain't beating a top team in a best of seven series. I hope Briere can bring in some good rewards. Errson isn't ready to be the big dog yet either. Hopefully Hart is innocent in all the other BS and comes back next season to an even stronger hungry young team.