• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well talk about an underwhelming end to that saga. Would've thought Hayes would have more value than that at 50% retained. Johansen deal I guess is a good comparable, but still thought Hayes would get like a 3rd or 4th rounder at 50%.

Bummer.
We're retaining $3.5 million per season for 3 full seasons and we only get back a 6th round pick!? Yeah, that's pretty fucking bad in my opinion. It also shows us how truly horrific the original signing of Hayes was to only get this much for him after cutting his cap hit in half.

I suppose the main reason we're trading him away though is to create space for younger talent and to not have a high dollar player on the team unless he is truly elite. That and Hayes, much like Provy, appeared to have burnt his bridges in Philly, for whatever reason. Couturier is pretty much there as an elite player. He will earn that contract when he gets healthy because he impacts every area of the game and will also be a point per game guy offensively.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, now that we know Sanheim was involved in the original trade, haven't we just ruined that relationship? Looks like that kid is going to be gone, one way or another. He has a full NTC, so if he was willing to waive it, it looks like both parties essentially want him out of Philly.

This Flyer team next season could truly end up being Couturier, Atkinson and the Phantoms.

Btw, it still stings quite a bit that we have zero 2nd round picks in the upcoming draft. Perhaps that will change. We do have the ammunition to trade up into that round, for sure.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Hayes, Torts must've told Briere behind closed doors, get rid of this fucking guy at all costs...Lol

How does everyone feel right now about being right on track to win the Cup in 2030? LOL

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, now that we know Sanheim was involved in the original trade, haven't we just ruined that relationship? Looks like that kid is going to be gone, one way or another. He has a full NTC, so if he was willing to waive it, it looks like both parties essentially want him out of Philly.

This Flyer team next season could truly end up being Couturier, Atkinson and the Phantoms.

Btw, it still stings quite a bit that we have zero 2nd round picks in the upcoming draft. Perhaps that will change. We do have the ammunition to trade up into that round, for sure.
His NTC starts on July 1, 2023.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His NTC starts on July 1, 2023.
That makes sense. So, we're getting rid of him before the new contract even technically kicks in. What happens if we can't deal him in the next 4 days? Suddenly he can veto any trade for the next 4 years...Lol It just seems like we're ruining a relationship that we are going to have for a minimum of 4 seasons before it even begins.

This is like telling your fiance that you're having second thoughts 4 days before the wedding...Rofl

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't understand how Sanheim fell that much off he wasn't a bad dman. The Hayes fiasco was brutal did not end slightly well this will take a long time to recover.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how Sanheim fell that much off he wasn't a bad dman. The Hayes fiasco was brutal did not end slightly well this will take a long time to recover.

I think Sanheim will bounce back. If they can get anything close to Krug and a 1st back for him, I'd definitely deal him. That's a real nice haul that the Blues were apparently willing to give for just Sanheim based on the Hayes return plus more cap flexibility is always good. But I think he'll bounce back and be good. Contract looks scary right now, but if he bounces back it won't be terrible.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty big trade. I'd be pretty happy if I were a Jets fan, that's a strong return for a guy that I wouldn't label a super star.
Agreed Dubois has flaws and the big one is that he's never happy. Jets get 3 NHL'ers and les habs 2nd really can't go wrong.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sanheim will bounce back. If they can get anything close to Krug and a 1st back for him, I'd definitely deal him. That's a real nice haul that the Blues were apparently willing to give for just Sanheim based on the Hayes return plus more cap flexibility is always good. But I think he'll bounce back and be good. Contract looks scary right now, but if he bounces back it won't be terrible.
Yep I wouldn't move him unless they get something decent only 27. Although if rebuilding anyone over should be gone.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough. If he returns to the form of '21-'22, he could be a decent second pairing defenseman that plays 23 minutes a night and maybe even pushes for power play time. Unfortunately, he's only had one other season of 30+ points and basically only shows us flashes of brilliance. Yes, he's already 27, and yet we're still wondering if he can consistently perform well as a top four defenseman (after 6 seasons in the league).

That's a bit sketchy, so I don't blame us for trying to unload him.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk if he fell off or if it's a combination of the whole team being bad and also him getting less playing time and/or opportunities to do his thing.

That's the mystery. Statistically though, has he really ever shown us that he's worth his upcoming contract of $6.25 million per? I would say not quite. Now is that the fault of the team and coaches for not playing to his strengths or giving him the right opportunities? Perhaps so, perhaps not.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk if he fell off or if it's a combination of the whole team being bad and also him getting less playing time and/or opportunities to do his thing.

That's the mystery. Statistically though, has he really ever shown us that he's worth his upcoming contract of $6.25 million per? I would say not quite. Now is that the fault of the team and coaches for not playing to his strengths or giving him the right opportunities? Perhaps so, perhaps not.
Yes true hard to tell when the teams bad overall. Hard to look good. I guess I'm ok either way but if they go to the studs then may as well move him. Move anyone who won't be around in the long run.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7. Philadelphia Flyers: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg

I could see the Flyers taking Leonard here. He’d certainly fit the classical identity of the organization and add another scoring threat after they targeted one in Cutter Gauthier last year (he and Gauthier are about to be teammates at Boston College and then the world juniors, and played with the U18s at the same time for a time at the NTDP, too). I could see them taking one of the top defencemen here after Keith Jones’ talk of building through the blue line (Reinbacher if he’s there, and consideration to a guy like Willander if he’s not). But the more I’ve thought about it, the more I’ve come back to Michkov. I think the Provorov move, and the chatter around Carter Hart and some of the other things they’re considering right now, are strong indicators that Danny Briere is serious about this process. And what do they need more than a potential top-of-the-league, game-breaking point producer?

22. Philadelphia Flyers: Tanner Molendyk, LHD, Saskatoon Blades​

If it’s Michkov at No. 7, I’d expect the Flyers to take a centre or a defenceman here, with preference towards a blueliner and strong consideration given to Bonk if he’s still around. If it’s a centre, Ritchie feels like the most likely, though there are a lot of names (Heidt, Brindley, Stenberg, Stramel, Edstrom, Nelson, etc. have all played it to varying degrees). Push comes to shove, though, if they take a forward with their first pick, I’d expect them to strongly consider Molendyk and Morin here. Molendyk’s skating wins out. Sounds like he impressed folks at the combine, too.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets just hope Danny B is a better drafter than a trader as that return for Kevin Hayes terrible. :tsk:
I'll wait to see what they do with the half salary saved before passing judgment.
If that flexibility is used to acquire a 3rd/4th rounder, the calculus changes.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll wait to see what they do with the half salary saved before passing judgment.
If that flexibility is used to acquire a 3rd/4th rounder, the calculus changes.
Getting absolutely nothing for a player who had 54 points while eating 50% of hi salary is a terrible trade any way you slice it.

You say the flexibility may get us a 3/4 rounder then why not just make a better trade and get a 3/4th rounder for Hayes and eating 50% of his salary?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting absolutely nothing for a player who had 54 points while eating 50% of hi salary is a terrible trade any way you slice it.

You say the flexibility may get us a 3/4 rounder then why not just make a better trade and get a 3/4th rounder for Hayes and eating 50% of his salary?
What other trade was available?