• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering how our catcher situation pans out
Evan suggests that the Rangers will trade whichever backup catcher will fetch us the most in a trade. Myself, I always go with the theory that you keep the best and trade the rest.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan suggests that the Rangers will trade whichever backup catcher will fetch us the most in a trade. Myself, I always go with the theory that you keep the best and trade the rest.
Each case is different I think. Would trade either back up catcher for a top pitcher.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Each case is different I think. Would trade either back up catcher for a top pitcher.
We won't get anything close to a top pitcher for either of them.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won't get anything close to a top pitcher for either of them.
Consider it a pkg deal and then trade the better of the two if that is what it would take.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider it a pkg deal and then trade the better of the two if that is what it would take.
I don't think the front office is looking to make any big package-type deals at this point. Maybe next offseason or during the 2023 trade deadline. They have a catcher to trade now though. When they are ready to makes a bigger trade there will be lots of trade pieces for us to work with.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Scott Halicke:

Rangers Injury UpdateRHPs José Leclerc and Jonathan Hernández are "in a good spot" in their rehab from Tommy John surgery. Hernández is expected to return in mid-June, with Leclerc trending toward a return in late May. While Hernández is already on the 60-day Injured List, the club does not currently have the same plan for Leclerc.3B Sherten Apostel (knee surgery) should be able to play for Triple-A Round Rock in the coming days.INF Justin Foscue is still recovering from a back strain.OF Steele Walker is in concussion protocol after taking a ball to the head.C Sam Huff and LHP John King are all fully cleared with no limitations. For Huff, that includes his ability to catch. King will likely be kept in the bullpen this season with little-to-no consideration for a spot in the starting rotation.

Never any mention of Kyle Cody.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

Round Rock manager Matt Hagen is going to have his hands full balancing where and when Wendzel and Smith are going to play this season.

The short answer is every day, but it’s more complicated than that. They both going to play third base and shortstop. Smith will play center field at least once a week, and Wendzel will be in left field once a week.

The Rangers discussed starting Smith at Double A Frisco, where he finished last season, to avoid any disruptions in his schedule. The Rangers want Wendzel and Smith as versatile as possible if and when they are called up to the majors.

“We're going to balance it,” Fenstermaker said. “We ultimately felt that they were both ready for Triple A and we wanted to push them and have them feel like they were knocking on the door right there to potentially help us.”

Smith and Wendzel, along with Thompson, were the prospects who played the best in Cactus League games. Thompson and Leody Taveras will share center field.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Jeff Wilson:

Stepping on the gas

Three noteworthy prospects received promotions from last season even though they were injured and barely played at their 2021 levels.

The Rangers, though, feel confident that Roby, outfielder Evan Carter and shortstop Max Acosta are well equipped for the challenge.

“I think we typically look at a combination of few factors, one being kind of their skills foundation as a baseball player. Do they have what we would describe as survival skills -- the approach, the speed of the game and feel for the game?” Fenstermaker said. “And then also just the makeup of the individual. Are they mentally strong and prepared to go and navigate through their first full-season assignment?”

All three do something at an advanced level that should help them perform, and the Rangers love their character and work ethic.

Carter, who had only 106 at-bats last season at Down East before a lingering back injury shut him down, has an acute understanding of the strike zone. Roby, who was limited to 22 innings at Down East before he was shut down with an elbow injury, throws a ton of strikes and has quality stuff.

Acosta needed surgery to fix thoracic outlet syndrome after just 66 at-bats in the Arizona Fall League. He needs to play as many games as possible after barely playing since signing in 2019.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still has elite stuff Bet he gets traded

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The long forgotten prospect, JP Martinez. He was going to be special at one point.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is good to see Foscue is playing again.