• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 season

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this on acmepackingcompany.com-

Green Bay remains the worst run defense in the league by DVOA, and 2nd worst by EPA/Play,

Good thing they went defense heavy in the past 5 or 6 drafts. :rolleyes2:

Going defense in the first round of the draft is a good strategy and the players the Packers drafted during that stretch have been hits. The way I see it, the problem is not the players or the drafting philosophy; it's the defensive scheme deployed and injuries.

Where do you start? From the front office on down.

Since the Ron Wolf years, the Packers front office has been one of the best in the business. Since the beginning of the Holmgren era, the Packers have had a losing record four times... FOUR TIMES in 30 years! Conversely, they made the playoffs 22 times in that same time span. To have that type of sustained success, your front office HAS to be doing its job well.

Now I'm not saying every Packers front office decision has hit the mark; every franchise hits and misses, but the Packers have had hits more consistently than other franchises and that's a key reason why we've seen sustained success.

I - and most other Packers fans - have repeatedly stated that we need a more aggressive defense. The last three DCs we've employed have been "bend don't break" guys (keep guys in front of you & don't give up big passing plays). While the Packers D has been decent in preventing those big plays, they've sucked at stopping the run, stopping the short passing game and creating turnovers. Now, the Packers have good starting CBs that can handle man coverage so it's an ideal time to get aggressive defensively. Therefore, it's obvious GB should start with a change in DC.

There's really not many more major changes needed. This season started with a banged-up OL and injured+inexperienced WR corps that led to some early losses; then when those things started to come together some key injuries on defense occurred. Throw in some uncharacteristic mistakes on the field and a surprisingly tough schedule of opponents and we've got a team that performed below expectations this year. A secondary adjustment I would make to the team is NOT re-sign Sammy Watkins or Randall Cobb - both guys are constantly injured and neither have the capability of getting open anymore. There's not going to be much available in the WR free agent market to replace them, but I think it will be addition by subtraction just to move on from both guys. I would also take a strong look at who is available at WR with one of my two first round picks (that will both probably be first half of round 1) - should be able to snag one of (if not the) highest rated WRs on the board.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EDIT: Packers just released Watkins.

He was garbage all season; I'm glad they're clearing him off the roster now for Doubs. And that solidifies GB NOT retaining him [hallelujah!].

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another edit: I thought GB got a 2023 first rounder in the Adams trade. I was wrong. GB only has one first rounder currently on the board.

...Maybe maybe GB will trade Rodgers to Vegas for Carr and their 2023 first? :D

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going defense in the first round of the draft is a good strategy and the players the Packers drafted during that stretch have been hits. The way I see it, the problem is not the players or the drafting philosophy; it's the defensive scheme deployed and injuries.

Since the Ron Wolf years, the Packers front office has been one of the best in the business. Since the beginning of the Holmgren era, the Packers have had a losing record four times... FOUR TIMES in 30 years! Conversely, they made the playoffs 22 times in that same time span. To have that type of sustained success, your front office HAS to be doing its job well.

Now I'm not saying every Packers front office decision has hit the mark; every franchise hits and misses, but the Packers have had hits more consistently than other franchises and that's a key reason why we've seen sustained success.

I - and most other Packers fans - have repeatedly stated that we need a more aggressive defense. The last three DCs we've employed have been "bend don't break" guys (keep guys in front of you & don't give up big passing plays). While the Packers D has been decent in preventing those big plays, they've sucked at stopping the run, stopping the short passing game and creating turnovers. Now, the Packers have good starting CBs that can handle man coverage so it's an ideal time to get aggressive defensively. Therefore, it's obvious GB should start with a change in DC.

There's really not many more major changes needed. This season started with a banged-up OL and injured+inexperienced WR corps that led to some early losses; then when those things started to come together some key injuries on defense occurred. Throw in some uncharacteristic mistakes on the field and a surprisingly tough schedule of opponents and we've got a team that performed below expectations this year. A secondary adjustment I would make to the team is NOT re-sign Sammy Watkins or Randall Cobb - both guys are constantly injured and neither have the capability of getting open anymore. There's not going to be much available in the WR free agent market to replace them, but I think it will be addition by subtraction just to move on from both guys. I would also take a strong look at who is available at WR with one of my two first round picks (that will both probably be first half of round 1) - should be able to snag one of (if not the) highest rated WRs on the board.

I think you are pretty spot on. What I see as a failure is post season. I believe Rodgers has been able to cover up a lot of deficiencies in the regular season only to get exposed come playoffs. Rodgers and the team have performed poorly in post season. Now, it’s not realistic to think they should win the Super Bowl every year but to have only one SB under the Rodgers era is a travesty. I put a big part of the blame on the front office for making bad decisions from the coaching staff to the players.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are pretty spot on. What I see as a failure is post season. I believe Rodgers has been able to cover up a lot of deficiencies in the regular season only to get exposed come playoffs. Rodgers and the team have performed poorly in post season. Now, it’s not realistic to think they should win the Super Bowl every year but to have only one SB under the Rodgers era is a travesty. I put a big part of the blame on the front office for making bad decisions from the coaching staff to the players.
I agree that Rodgers should ideally have more than one ring. I agree that fingers must point to management to some extent whenever a failure occurs in any business; however, management wasn't on the field when the onside kick slipped through Bostick's hands or when Bojorquez's punt got blocked. Players, coaches and management are all part of the equation. Player health plays a big factor. Luck plays a big factor. Momentum plays a big factor. None of those three things have anything to do with management. You need a lot of things to go right to hoist the Lombardi and unfortunately for us Packer fans things just haven't quite gone our way when it mattered most through the Rodgers era. It's easy to point fingers at the team leaders when the team falls short, but the team leaders do not have complete control. For the vast majority of the Rodgers era, Rodgers did his part very well and other factors caused the shortfall. ...Can't expect Rodgers to go tackle Larry Fitzgerald, too.

Quite frankly, I could see the Packers back in the NFC Championship game again next year if our healthy aggressive defense is forcing turnovers and our offense is synchronized.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Rodgers should ideally have more than one ring. I agree that fingers must point to management to some extent whenever a failure occurs in any business; however, management wasn't on the field when the onside kick slipped through Bostick's hands or when Bojorquez's punt got blocked. Players, coaches and management are all part of the equation. Player health plays a big factor. Luck plays a big factor. Momentum plays a big factor. None of those three things have anything to do with management. You need a lot of things to go right to hoist the Lombardi and unfortunately for us Packer fans things just haven't quite gone our way when it mattered most through the Rodgers era. It's easy to point fingers at the team leaders when the team falls short, but the team leaders do not have complete control. For the vast majority of the Rodgers era, Rodgers did his part very well and other factors caused the shortfall. ...Can't expect Rodgers to go tackle Larry Fitzgerald, too.

Quite frankly, I could see the Packers back in the NFC Championship game again next year if our healthy aggressive defense is forcing turnovers and our offense is synchronized.
Again, I think you’re spot on. I don’t place all the blame on mgt for the reasons you mentioned but some of their decisions have a direct impact on what happens on the field. One of the biggest examples I can give is hiring a DC with a bad track record. Either they didn’t do their do diligence when vetting him or like they have done in the past is got him on the cheap, or both. Just multiple decisions made in the office which have a domino affect on the field.

No doubt, players have to make plays. Injuries are huge in the NFL, specially when it comes to the end of the season. Usually, the healthiest team makes it to the end. It takes everything, mgt, coaches, offense, defense, special teams and players to be successful. As we’ve seen, if one or more have deficiencies, it can be the difference of moving on in the playoffs or moving out.

On a positive note- I like what I see in the two rookie WOs. Doubs and Watson may become a force to reckon with in years to come.

Also have to give Nixon a lot of praise for bringing the return game back from the dead.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I’ve heard Rodgers talking about the playoffs. Does he really think they have a shot? Not only at making the playoffs but making some noise in the playoffs? He must know deep down this year is a lost cause. The 2 wins over shitty teams has his ability to think a little cloudy. I believe he will get a dose of reality on Xmas day. They should be able to move the ball a little bit against Miami but the defense will be a liability once again.

34-17 Miami

This game will end any talk about the playoffs.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I’ve heard Rodgers talking about the playoffs. Does he really think they have a shot? Not only at making the playoffs but making some noise in the playoffs? He must know deep down this year is a lost cause. The 2 wins over shitty teams has his ability to think a little cloudy. I believe he will get a dose of reality on Xmas day. They should be able to move the ball a little bit against Miami but the defense will be a liability once again.

34-17 Miami

This game will end any talk about the playoffs.
My prediction was on point until the end of the first half. One thing is for sure, GB needs to draft OL/DL next year. It doesn’t matter how good the QB is if he has zero time to throw or the RB is getting touched in the backfield you won’t be very successful. Same for the defense. If the opposing QB has all day to throw the ball, the QB doesn’t have to be all world to have success.

Watching the Miami game you can see the difference. As soon as GB snaps the ball Miami is in the backfield. On the opposite side of the ball, Tua has all day to throw it. That has to change next season.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction was on point until the end of the first half. One thing is for sure, GB needs to draft OL/DL next year. It doesn’t matter how good the QB is if he has zero time to throw or the RB is getting touched in the backfield you won’t be very successful. Same for the defense. If the opposing QB has all day to throw the ball, the QB doesn’t have to be all world to have success.

Watching the Miami game you can see the difference. As soon as GB snaps the ball Miami is in the backfield. On the opposite side of the ball, Tua has all day to throw it. That has to change next season.
Mixed feelings. Always good to see a Packer victory. At least this year if they sneak in the playoffs I won’t have any misconception that they have a good chance of making it til the end.

When I wrote the previous post it was at the end of the first half. I give GB credit for making some adjustments at half time and getting it done. Defense stepped up and got 3 turnovers. I think they struggle to get pressure but let’s see what happens.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me it's more about the style the 2 teams play. Miami is very aggressive on D, in modern NFL standards, and Green Bay is more of a read and react type D. I think that's the problem with the Packer's D, they don't have the scheme to switch back and forth, I think they have the players to do it, but I don't think the coach believes that is a solid approach. Which is why I want him gone. I don't like to fire coaches, but sometimes it's needed, IE Dom Capers for the last 4 years of his tenure.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it's more about the style the 2 teams play. Miami is very aggressive on D, in modern NFL standards, and Green Bay is more of a read and react type D. I think that's the problem with the Packer's D, they don't have the scheme to switch back and forth, I think they have the players to do it, but I don't think the coach believes that is a solid approach. Which is why I want him gone. I don't like to fire coaches, but sometimes it's needed, IE Dom Capers for the last 4 years of his tenure.
I was pleasantly surprised of the half time adjustments but I’m with you, I think Barry has to go as well.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been awhile since I’ve watched the talking heads on E*PN. Odds are favoring GB this Sunday but the majority have Minny winning. They don’t think the past 3 wins GB has any weight. I also think Minny will win but I also thought Miami was going to win. I can see it going either way but I don’t see the defense slowing Minny down. I’ve been wrong before so…

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been awhile since I’ve watched the talking heads on E*PN. Odds are favoring GB this Sunday but the majority have Minny winning. They don’t think the past 3 wins GB has any weight. I also think Minny will win but I also thought Miami was going to win. I can see it going either way but I don’t see the defense slowing Minny down. I’ve been wrong before so…

Appears Packers slowed down Minnesota pretty good.

Special teams other than punt blunder had huge game. Defense was exceptional... holding Vikings to 3 points after blocked punt huge... shut down Jefferson and Cook very well.

Guess it is on to the Lions and a shot at the playoffs next Sunday.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had 2 incorrect predictions this weekend. I didn’t see Michigan choking in the playoffs…again but it happened. I also thought GB had a chance against Minny but lose. I never thought they would have did what they did though.

Nixon is the spark they needed on ST. Lafleur and Barry have started to impress me a little.

Turnovers are great but I think they can be deceiving as well. You just can’t rely on several turnovers every game. I will say I was pleasantly surprised with how well they played but they will need a better pass rush if they make the post season. They don’t necessarily need sacks, just more pressure to throw the timing off the QB and receivers.

The offense isn’t in playoff form. Looks like they are running the ball with success but 3rd down and red zone performance has been subpar and if it doesn’t improve it will be another short stay in the playoffs if they make it.

IMO, short of a SB win, I still think Barry has to go. Not sure why he didn’t have them playing this way from the beginning but I’m guessing a playoff appearance might save him.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appears Packers slowed down Minnesota pretty good.

Special teams other than punt blunder had huge game. Defense was exceptional... holding Vikings to 3 points after blocked punt huge... shut down Jefferson and Cook very well.

Guess it is on to the Lions and a shot at the playoffs next Sunday.

I agree. They stopped them with turnovers. Turnovers are great, just can’t hang your hat on them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had 2 incorrect predictions this weekend. I didn’t see Michigan choking in the playoffs…again but it happened. I also thought GB had a chance against Minny but lose. I never thought they would have did what they did though.

Nixon is the spark they needed on ST. Lafleur and Barry have started to impress me a little.

Turnovers are great but I think they can be deceiving as well. You just can’t rely on several turnovers every game. I will say I was pleasantly surprised with how well they played but they will need a better pass rush if they make the post season. They don’t necessarily need sacks, just more pressure to throw the timing off the QB and receivers.

The offense isn’t in playoff form. Looks like they are running the ball with success but 3rd down and red zone performance has been subpar and if it doesn’t improve it will be another short stay in the playoffs if they make it.

IMO, short of a SB win, I still think Barry has to go. Not sure why he didn’t have them playing this way from the beginning but I’m guessing a playoff appearance might save him.

This team is far from a Super Bowl caliber team. If they still had Gary I would give them a chance to make a little noise in playoffs. But if they do make it... see them getting bounced in Week1 as they most likely play SF.

Offense still not hitting on all cylinders due to passing game.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is far from a Super Bowl caliber team. If they still had Gary I would give them a chance to make a little noise in playoffs. But if they do make it... see them getting bounced in Week1 as they most likely play SF.

Offense still not hitting on all cylinders due to passing game.

Crazy thing is...i thought the same thing in 2010 when they went on the road and won it.

Better squad back then. I dont think they are a SB caliber team either.

Lots of issues going on to see them advance deep in the playoffs if they make it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy thing is...i thought the same thing in 2010 when they went on the road and won it.

Better squad back then. I dont think they are a SB caliber team either.

Lots of issues going on to see them advance deep in the playoffs if they make it.

2010 team I thought had a chance... they were never losing by more than 6 points at anypoint during the season. Had lots of injuries and lost a lot of close games. Rodgers was improving as season went along.

This year... Packers got blown out in a few games, no one returning from injuries that will help with January push if the beat Detroit on Sunday and I do not see Rodgers improving his performance over what we have seen this year.

Personally... if Lions win on Sunday I will not be disappointed.