• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Preseason Thread

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am also surprised that it is him. They must have their minds set as to who stays at this juncture.

My best guess for the LB group is Anzalone, Rodrigo, Barnes, Pittman and one of Board or Woods.
Does J. Okwara fit in here anymore? He also is injured.
I think they keep all those LBs. Board is ahead of all those guys right now and Woods is too good on ST.

JO is an end now. Especially with all the injuries. We may be Okwaraless all year. No sign of Romeo getting back and Julian cant stay healthy. With Bryant and Commisky emerging we might be letting the brothers heal up this year. Could even cut Julian. Hopefully Romeo comes back.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions 53-man roster projection heading into the preseason finale

What do you guys think?

I say too many CBs. Dont need 8. I would keep CJ Moore and Justin Jackson along with D Taylor and Josh Woods. We will probably be able to when we send certain players to IR once the season begins. Can make a case for Skipper and Stenberg too. We can let W Harris and T Benson go and maybe even M Hughs.

I think they got the kicker wrong. Hopefully Seibert will look as bad vs Steelers as he did last week.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Board is ahead of all those guys right now

Anzalone is considered LB1 with Rodrigo as LB2 to pair with him.

I agree with Woods but I'm not sure how many they keep at this time.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JO is an end now. Especially with all the injuries.

All throughout the spring, mini-camps, OTA's, DC and Kelvin Sheppard labeled him as an off the ball LB, but I do see him being used as Charles Harris' rotation replacement.

I think Julian will be used as a SAM at times along with Pittman and Barnes. Pittman is currently ahead of Barnes and Pittman is a 4-phase ST ace.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree with their probable picks for QB, RB, TE, LB, CB and S

Having 8 CB might appear to be too much but until Jacobs is healthy enough to be considered active, I think they're correct in choosing that many. Harris - unfortunately - could be considered/used as both CB/S. Hughes is the most likely candidate to be cut as his run defense is extremely questionable, but he does have the ability to play inside or outside. Chase Lucas is the real deal, but he needs those live game reps.

I think Kennedy has ousted Cephus as the last WR in that group. My Cephus bias has been deflated.

Benson isn't likely to be cut as he, Parker, Price and Melifonwu are all gunners.

Lastly, I think D. Taylor has outperformed Jason Cornell to this point, but I cannot see them risking Taylor being cut and being picked up by another team. Cornell has the upper side of being there for 3 years, but he hasn't showed anything in pre-season games so far.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they got the kicker wrong. Hopefully Seibert will look as bad vs Steelers as he did last week.

Neither one of them is accurate beyond 45 especially when it's 50+

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All starters, minus Goff, are allegedly playing an entire half - or close to that amount - against the Steelers.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All throughout the spring, mini-camps, OTA's, DC and Kelvin Sheppard labeled him as an off the ball LB, but I do see him being used as Charles Harris' rotation replacement.

I think Julian will be used as a SAM at times along with Pittman and Barnes. Pittman is currently ahead of Barnes and Pittman is a 4-phase ST ace.
TBH I am not sure Julian even fits anymore. I would rather have Woods but not by much.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBH I am not sure Julian even fits anymore. I would rather have Woods but not by much.

He's a better fit as an 3-4 Rush/OLB than he is for our base 4-3/4-2-5/4-1-6.

Julian is still bad as a run defender.

Also, Pittman and Barnes are more than capable of providing that SAM position, but I do not see either of them as a capable back-up to Charles Harris.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A week ago, I had assumed Kennedy might be on the trade block. Someone from CBS believes it to be Cephus.

Lions WR Quintez Cephus

Detroit's receiving corps is quite underrated, with D.J. Chark and Jameson Williams joining Amon-Ra St. Brown and Josh Reynolds out wide. That leaves Cephus, just 24 and coming off an injury-shortened year, on the brink. It's possible another team could have more use for his long-term upside as a reserve.

Cut Candidate from NFL.com

Cephus has started games for the Lions the past two seasons and has had some moments; he seems to do his best work versus NFC North opponents. But what is his future with the team? Durability has been an issue, and with August folk hero Tom Kennedy once again destroying the preseason, the Lions might want to keep a more reliable (the word Dan Campbell most often uses when describing Kennedy) option until Jameson Williams is healthy enough to play.

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was recently looking at the Lions roster and noted that when Austin Bryant was at his combine his weight was 271 - 2019. In 2020 he was listed at 278, 2021 he was listed at 265 and this year he weighed in at 250 which is nearly equivalent to Charles Harris.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have a worthwhile backup QB currently on your roster Dan.

Heading into the preseason finale, the Lions plan on playing all their starters, except for Goff, indicating a significant opportunity for the reserve quarterbacks.

“Number one we’ve got our first o-line out there,” Campbell talked about the opportunity. “We’ll have our receivers, so they’re going to have – they’re going to have all the bullets at their disposal for the most part. And so, let’s see what they do with that. I think that’s the best way to say it.”

When asked to clarify if just one reserve quarterback would get that opportunity, or if both Boyle and Blough would get a chance to work with the starters, Campbell said it was still being discussed by the coaching staff.

“We’ll talk about that tonight,” Campbell explained. “I would see Boyle starting us out here.”

Each quarterback brings a different set of intangibles to the roster

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's up in the air regarding Jacobs going on PUP or keeping him on the active list and having him available for limited practices the first 4 weeks.

Levi is the most questionable one as to what they're going to do with him. I'm expecting he makes the initial 53-man roster and then goes on IR which would make him a possibility to come back this year. Late last year in regular season he couldn't even sit in a chair for film room or group meeting without writhing in pain. My belief is to simply put him on IR before final cuts and that would mean he is done for the year.

the following is a quote from Erick Schlitt

Placing him on injured reserve ahead of cuts would end his season, and while that would open up a roster spot, it doesn't seem like that is something they’re considering at this time.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After further thought/self-debate, I might consider the following

(2) - QB: Goff and it doesn't matter for QB2. - I went with Blough
(9) - OL: Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Vaitai, Sewell, Brown, Kraemer, Nelson, Stenberg
(4) - TE: Hock, Wright, Zylstra, Mitchell
(6) - WR: Chark, AR-SB, Reynold, Raymond, Benson, WR6 Kennedy or Cephus because it doesn't matter once Jameson is healthy
(4) - RB: Swift, Williams, Hulu - Reynolds, Igwebuike
Total (25)
Vaitai can play OT in an emergency if both Decker and Sewell are injured at same time
Blough has the better pocket awareness/ability to scramble/deep ball placement, but he is dink and dunk and turnover prone
Boyle has a history dating back to CFB of erratic accuracy/pocket awareness/rarely scrambles

(4) - DE: Hutch, Harris, Bryant, Okwara
(6) - DL: Brockers, McNeil, Onwuzurike (later moved to IR after final 53), Cominsky, Buggs, D. Taylor
(5) - LB: Anzalone, Rodrigo, Barnes, Board, Pittman
(7) - CB: Oruwariye, Okudah, Jacobs (could move to PUP), Parker, W. Harris, Lucas, Price
(4) - - S: Walker, Elliot, Moore, Melifonwu
Total (26)

ST
(1) - LS: Daly
(1) - -P: Fox

(0) - PK: cut them both and when Onwuzurike is moved to IR after the final 53 is determined then re-sign one to the roster and one to the PS just like they did last year to Bullock and Gonzalez. They'll have to inform both Seibert and Patterson of their intentions prior to the final 53. Neither PK would be a great loss in my opinion and that stands to point as well to Blough or Boyle.

You have to remember that DC/AG will still run a 3-4 base against some of those run-oriented teams that have an elusive QB like last year. Brockers, Cominsky, Buggs and Taylor all can play that 5/4i tech when in a 3-4 base with two OLB/Rush Ends. McNeil will see more 3-tech alignments this year in their 4-3 base and that comes right from the mouth of DC/AG.

J. Okwara, Pittman and Barnes all can play AM or even a 3-4 base OLB/Rush End when needed

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After further thought/self-debate, I might consider the following

(2) - QB: Goff and it doesn't matter for QB2. - I went with Blough
(9) - OL: Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Vaitai, Sewell, Brown, Kraemer, Nelson, Stenberg
(4) - TE: Hock, Wright, Zylstra, Mitchell
(6) - WR: Chark, AR-SB, Reynold, Raymond, Benson, WR6 Kennedy or Cephus because it doesn't matter once Jameson is healthy
(4) - RB: Swift, Williams, Hulu - Reynolds, Igwebuike
Total (25)
Vaitai can play OT in an emergency if both Decker and Sewell are injured at same time
Blough has the better pocket awareness/ability to scramble/deep ball placement, but he is dink and dunk and turnover prone
Boyle has a history dating back to CFB of erratic accuracy/pocket awareness/rarely scrambles

(4) - DE: Hutch, Harris, Bryant, Okwara
(6) - DL: Brockers, McNeil, Onwuzurike (later moved to IR after final 53), Cominsky, Buggs, D. Taylor
(5) - LB: Anzalone, Rodrigo, Barnes, Board, Pittman
(7) - CB: Oruwariye, Okudah, Jacobs (could move to PUP), Parker, W. Harris, Lucas, Price
(4) - - S: Walker, Elliot, Moore, Melifonwu
Total (26)

ST
(1) - LS: Daly
(1) - -P: Fox

(0) - PK: cut them both and when Onwuzurike is moved to IR after the final 53 is determined then re-sign one to the roster and one to the PS just like they did last year to Bullock and Gonzalez. They'll have to inform both Seibert and Patterson of their intentions prior to the final 53. Neither PK would be a great loss in my opinion and that stands to point as well to Blough or Boyle.

You have to remember that DC/AG will still run a 3-4 base against some of those run-oriented teams that have an elusive QB like last year. Brockers, Cominsky, Buggs and Taylor all can play that 5/4i tech when in a 3-4 base with two OLB/Rush Ends. McNeil will see more 3-tech alignments this year in their 4-3 base and that comes right from the mouth of DC/AG.

J. Okwara, Pittman and Barnes all can play AM or even a 3-4 base OLB/Rush End when needed
Pretty close to the way I see it as well. Couple battles left on O-line. Stenberg and Kraemer are fighting for 1 spot. Same for Nelson and Skipper. I still want W Harris gone. He does nothing well. Really want to hold an extra RB and LB. I would cut Benson. That leaves room to add J Jackson and J Woods.

Just noticed we are short a safety. S Smith would probably need to be kept so maybe Jackson has to go.

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple battles left on O-line. Stenberg and Kraemer are fighting for 1 spot.

Maybe, but I don't see it that way. I believe they keep both Kraemer and Stenberg as reserves at the OG position and try to sign Jarvis to the PS.
Kraemer has been repping at OC, OG and minimal reps at OT.
Stenberg has mostly repped at LG with some at RG.
Skipper and UDFA Obina Eze are likely headed to the PS and if that happens there is no need for another swing OT on the final 53 if they keep Nelson. Nelson has been fairly horrible except when he's the 6th OL.