• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, on the Hoop Collective they said the Nets are not interested in the Lakers offer.

They won't take Westbrook and are not just looking for draft compensation.

They want a replacement.

Stein said the same.

Woj said the same.

Lakers need to get another team involved or move on to another deal.

Because, the Nets have repeatedly said Hell no.

I think this is a mistake on some level

Especially if kyrie is gonna leave at the end of the year

And they can’t take Mitchell anyway due to the silly extension rules

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.

Kyrie isn't the immediate problem.

Durant is.

I don't think they have any intention on trading Durant, even now.

They have a better chance of KD reporting for camp with Irving on he roster.

Especially now that Kyrie appears to be onboard.

It's not like the Lakers offer will decrease.

So, they have no reason to care about a timeline...or rush.

The Lakers offer will change significantly if not disappear if they decide to move on, especially as camp approaches.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie on a contract Year could bring more at the deadline for a team that’s looking to win now.

Except for that whole...no one wants him thing. This isn't some older vet or good player that a team is looking to move so they can tank. He's a distraction that a win now team isn't likely to want to deal with. He'd be a gigantic risk.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We tend to overlook the fact that these guys are young and haven't lived a "normal" life since they were 12 years old. As Jaylen Brown said the other day, "From the time I first stepped on a court, the only time I haven't been on one, I've been in bed or in the bathroom."

I am not talking about elite prospects though.

I am talking about kids I knew who were good enough to play some pretty solid D1 basketball, but just about every one of them thought they were going to the league.

They weren’t.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where Jeannie Buss needs to step in and have a chat with her brain trust and let it be known that the Lakers will keep an open mind about Kyrie but that the Lakers need to move on to other more accessible deals that improve their lot like maybe the three-team deal that was going to bring Turner to the Lakers.

There were two teams that were willing to take on Westbrook if the deal included two future number ones: Utah and Indiana. So Jeannie needs to let her principals know that the Lakers need to go after those trades and to forget about Kyrie because the Nets have already made it known that they are not interested in a Kyrie deal unless the Lakers offer win-now players. The key here is moving Westbrook out the door.

If nothing happens, this belief that started with HC Ham and is a now a bandwagon proposition that somehow Westbrook is going to lockstep to Ham and Lebron this season is simply not going to be the case (plug-in the Tiger stripes cliche here).

I know this is not popular but maybe what Plaschke has predicted will indeed come to pass because of the locker room level of the quiet feud between Westbrook and James and the fact that Davis hates playing the five. So injuries and all sorts of internal strife is a very real possibility this season. Thus, the Lakers may be facing another disaster of a season unless Westbrook is removed.

Chasing your tail accomplishes little except to just get you exhausted.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many big time athletes took pay cuts in their later years to give their team room for a better chance for championships. LeBron will never ever be one of them. He wants every penny and- if the Nets dont relent and trade them Kyrie---- it will be tough for the Lakers to get him as a free agent in the offseason.

LeBron and Davis alone will represent 87 million in cap next offseason.

They badly need to trade THT and get someone to take his money is what it comes down to.

because I will tell you another thing- Kyrie sure as hell does not seem like a guy that will take less money either.
It's pretty simple IMO; Kyrie's chance to get to the Lakers and stay paid is now. If he plays nice and lets the Nets off the hook, he won't be a Laker unless the Nets change their trade demands by the deadline. The Lakers will move on to other options as camp approaches.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, while I don't see that trade happening, it depends on the perspective.

Obviously, it works for the Lakers and Knicks.

For the Nets, considering no one but the Lakers is interested in trading for Kyrie, that's probably about as good as they are going to get for him and it moves Harris as well. Their other option is keep him and risk losing him after the season while getting nothing in return. I don't know if that group with KD can get out of the east, but I think it could put them in the mix if they can all stay healthy.

The Jazz are blowing it up and @wildturkey said that they'd be getting a bunch of picks...not to mention cap space. Looks like Ainge is trying to do what he did in Boston, so that deal would help with that.
The problem, well one of them, is dealing with Danny Ainge.

He has to win every trade by prime Usain Bolt like margin of victory.

I like the players Utah would get back from the Knicks.

But, imo, eating 47 mil for a single draft pick seems very far fetched, even with the significant draft compensation they'd likely get from the Knicks.

The other problem is the Nets return.

Even if you believe Bogdo for Harris is a wash, a 1st round pick, Rose and Beverly is a terrible return for Kyrie RIGHT NOW.

Both are constantly injured.

Both are expiring deals ( Rose has a 15 mil team option)

Neither would help the Nets retain Durant.

Neither are win now players.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty simple IMO; Kyrie's chance to get to the Lakers and stay paid is now. If he plays nice and lets the Nets off the hook, he won't be a Laker unless the Nets change their trade demands by the deadline. The Lakers will move on to other options as camp approaches.
....and he might.

Durant my be a different story.

But, the Nets should wait to find out.

One thing is for sure, the Durant wants Kyrie gone rhetoric is either false or greatly exaggerated.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except for that whole...no one wants him thing. This isn't some older vet or good player that a team is looking to move so they can tank. He's a distraction that a win now team isn't likely to want to deal with. He'd be a gigantic risk.
Could be. But the Nets first goal is to get Kyrie and KD back in the fold. Why would an underwhelming return now be enough to move off that goal? Brooklyn is a spot that can land FAs. Letting Kyrie walk for nothing isn’t ideal but is that underwhelming return worth anymore? Two of the three are on one year deals so next season they have another year of Rose? Meh.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think either KD or Kyrie are going anywhere this season. The evidence is mounting that the Nets will smooth things over with them and they'll begin the season with both playing for the Nets. The earliest things may change would be the trade deadline. But even then, I think the league as a whole as already put a kabosh on any more Golbert-like player movements in future proposed deals. No team wants any future part of that sort cleaning house transactions unless you are Danny Ainge in Utah.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't right now.

But, a team with a legitimate championship window might reconsider at the deadline.

He could easily be the 2022 version of the Rasheed Wallace trade for the Pistons or the Bison Dele addition for the Bulls.

Both those guys had baggage.

But, they put those teams over the hump during their championship runs.

If Kyrie goes full clown car, like Rondo did for the Mavs, he is off the roster when the Season ends.

The Nets likely won't get a large return.

But, that's also the case in the deal Turkey posted.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem, well one of them, is dealing with Danny Ainge.

He has to win every trade by prime Usain Bolt like margin of victory.

I like the players Utah would get back from the Knicks.

But, imo, eating 47 mil for a single draft pick seems very far fetched, even with the significant draft compensation they'd likely get from the Knicks.

The other problem is the Nets return.

Even if you believe Bogdo for Harris is a wash, a 1st round pick, Rose and Beverly is a terrible return for Kyrie RIGHT NOW.

Both are constantly injured.

Both are expiring deals ( Rose has a 15 mil team option)

Neither would help the Nets retain Durant.

Neither are win now players.

Agree with all of this except the Kyrie part. Any team in the league could easily beat the Lakers best offer for him. It's been crickets. I would think that if another team was even remotely interested, there would be at least 1 rumor. With nothing but silence for all this time, not sure why anyone would think think they are suddenly going to start getting offers.

As for Ainge, looking at it as one trade would help him be able to claim a win, because it would ultimately be 3 viable players, plus a ''name'' that folks will show up to watch, a bunch of picks and ultimately, a huge amount of cap space.

But yeah, if he looked at it as separate trades, then he would win the trade with the Knicks, but lose the one with Lakers which would about kill him. lol

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be. But the Nets first goal is to get Kyrie and KD back in the fold. Why would an underwhelming return now be enough to move off that goal? Brooklyn is a spot that can land FAs. Letting Kyrie walk for nothing isn’t ideal but is that underwhelming return worth anymore? Two of the three are on one year deals so next season they have another year of Rose? Meh.
I really don't see a team picking up that Rose option.

15 mil is a lot for a guy with that many miles, that many injuries.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't see a team picking up that Rose option.

15 mil is a lot for a guy with that many miles, that many injuries.
Does a team retain Bird rights if they decline an option?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be. But the Nets first goal is to get Kyrie and KD back in the fold. Why would an underwhelming return now be enough to move off that goal?

That's been their first goal this whole time. But KD and Kyrie have both gone back and forth and changed their demands throughout this whole process, which hasn't helped.

Also, something folks seem to have forgotten about is that KD said he wants both Marks and Nash fired...last I heard, they both still work for the Nets and I haven't heard anything about KD moving off of that demand.

So even if Kyrie is now committed to staying with the Nets, is KD committed? And if the Nets end up trading KD, what does that do to Kyrie being committed?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't right now.

But, a team with a legitimate championship window might reconsider at the deadline.

I'd be very surprised if a legit contender would want him, even at the deadline. For a team like that, there would other choices available that would cost less and not risk ruining their chemistry.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does a team retain Bird rights if they decline an option?
Looks like it.

From the CBA.....

Still, team options can be useful at the end of a contract, since turning down that option allows the team to retain some form of Bird rights on the player — waiving a player with a non-guaranteed salary doesn’t present that same opportunity. Additionally, a handful of contracts still don’t become fully guaranteed once an option is picked up, giving teams an extra level of flexibility.