• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are the wolves hell bent on adding another tempermental big man??

Ayton and Gobert?? Jesus christ.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see. Not a lot of teams with cap space left so they may be able to get him on the "cheap" but again it's a 4 for 1 deal for every player they sign.

That is the point.

All the reporting leading up to free agency was that they were okay with that.

Payton definitely less of a priority because I think Kuminga can play that role and offer more offensive upside as he develops.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitchell or Gobert, not likely both?

Windhoest has a good segment this morning how last time danny did this he trades it down to the studs and rebuilt

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It definitely sucks to lose GP2, but he's earned every penny he'll be getting. He went undrafted, bounced around the NBA and G-League for years, through multiple roster cuts and finally secured himself a 3 year 28M deal. I always thought his market was around 3 yrs 30 and he got just a little less.

I read since the season has ended that the Warriors would prioritize Looney first, then GP2. Given the nature of the Warriors roster, it's at least understandable that they prioritized Looney. But damn, this sucks to see him go. I don't think his production is easily replaced. He's a legit menace on defense. On top of that he came back early in the finals from a fractured elbow. The Warriors don't beat the Celtics without him.

We're going to have to hope Moody is ready for regular rotation minutes.
This hurts because he was one of the few playoff rotation pieces. Porter means nothing, didn't need him. This is a legit issue. Doesn't really matter in the regular season. In the playoffs you need all the defense you can get (the Ws won the finals on their defense).

He deserves every penny of course but I thought they'd be willing to pay the tax to keep him and Looney. Now it looks like Looney only. The playoffs are a long way away so the story will evolve in ways we don't see. Doesn't change their status as one of the contenders next year. But not gonna sugarcoat it, I'm bummed they didn't keep him.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they also didn’t use the mle last year

So it does seem like they have some limits they are working with at some level. Even if it’s long term smoothing of tax payments

The Warriors are looking at a total payroll, including tax, around 400M. That's a lot even if you're raking in a lot of money.

But then again the Warriors are fresh off of a championship. So, this is really a unique spot. If there is anytime to pay that much in tax, it's now. But we shall see.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This hurts because he was one of the few playoff rotation pieces. Porter means nothing, didn't need him. This is a legit issue. Doesn't really matter in the regular season. In the playoffs you need all the defense you can get (the Ws won the finals on their defense).

He deserves every penny of course but I thought they'd be willing to pay the tax to keep him and Looney. Now it looks like Looney only. The playoffs are a long way away so the story will evolve in ways we don't see. Doesn't change their status as one of the contenders next year. But not gonna sugarcoat it, I'm bummed they didn't keep him.

I'm not with you at all on Porter. He was less of a priority, but I watched him be extremely effective in games as our stretch 4. The finals he didn't do much but I thought he brought a lot to this team.

The problem with paying Porter is that you're always going to have to be wary of his injury history and paying him effectively to play 70% of the games each season. I can see the Warriors hesitancy to bring him back on any sort of substantial deal.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y
Yeah going to need more help from the younger guys. A lot more competition this year barring more injuries.

Clips
Nuggets
Suns with possibly KD
Lakers with possibly Kyrie
Grizz
TWolves
Pelicans with Zion

I still see the Warriors better than most of those but Clips, Nugs and Suns look really good on paper right now as well.
Pretty much. Just like this year, no team is going to be the dominant favorite. Just like this year, the Ws are one of 6-7 teams that can realistically win a ship.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams eager to get those extensions done before the cap explodes in 2024.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not with you at all on Porter. He was less of a priority, but I watched him be extremely effective in games as our stretch 4. The finals he didn't do much but I thought he brought a lot to this team.

The problem with paying Porter is that you're always going to have to be wary of his injury history and paying him effectively to play 70% of the games each season. I can see the Warriors hesitancy to bring him back on any sort of substantial deal.
The injury thing is one reason but also Kuminga plays the same position and he's gonna need to step up anyway. We were never gonna keep all 3 of those and I thought for sure it would be Looney and Payton. Defensive stoppers like Payton are hard to replace, and we don't have a young guy who looks like that. We do have minutes for guys who can replace Porter. So no I don't mind Porter leaving, didn't think he'd be staying. I did think Payton would and I'm bummed.