• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,157.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard yesterday that he actually has a team he'd like to go to. but isn't willing to say which one publicly yet.
No got to get that deal first

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard yesterday that he actually has a team he'd like to go to. but isn't willing to say which one publicly yet.
Read that as well. Really hope it’s not the Sixers. I don’t think he’s a great fit and it would assuredly cost them Maxey. Gun to my head, Maxey is seen by most as the better player in just 2 years from now.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,157.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the SG-A extension and the Ja'Mike trade is final, won't the Thunder be a cap team?
It will be close, that’s why it’s likely that Dort is going to be moved because he only has one year left on his deal. The Kemba money falls off after this year too so long term they still have flexibility.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's trolling.

He's technically under contract.

If he signs with a new team, they are getting hit with a tampering charge and everyone knows it.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be close, that’s why it’s likely that Dort is going to be moved because he only has one year left on his deal. The Kemba money falls off after this year too so long term they still have flexibility.
Wish to Christ Sixers could get in on Dort. I just don’t think the Sixers match up well with OKC’s goals in a trade though.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

Plus, it's not really possible to get him unless he opts in.

I actively try to avoid all salary cap discussions outside of the basics.

But, doesn't a team need to be below the hard deck to be eligible for a sign and trade?

If that's true, a team like the Clippers would need to shed salary first.

I would guess the Lakers are in a similar position once Russ opts in.

I don't know all of the parameters with the cap. But what seem to be the 3 easiest paths, don't make a lot of sense.

1 is that both Kyrie and Westbrook opt in and get traded for each other. Which I can't see KD being okay with.

2 is that Kyrie decides that money isn't important to him, opts out and signs with the Lakers for the TPMLE. Aside from the shitstorm THAT would create and the fact that the NBAPA would lose their minds...I don't think even Kyrie is crazy enough to walk away from $30 million.

3 is some kind of sign and trade, but I believe that would hard cap the Lakers which, among other problems, would severely limit their ability to put decent players around them.

That leaves the possibility of a 3 team deal...but other teams can offer more in a 2 team deal, so he'd essentially have to force his way to the Lakers.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish to Christ Sixers could get in on Dort. I just don’t think the Sixers match up well with OKC’s goals in a trade though.
Just trade up and take my guy, Jalen Williams, Santa Clara.

Y'all fucked up getting rid of Mikal.

This would allllllmmmmmmmossssst undo that mistake.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's trolling.

He's technically under contract.

If he signs with a new team, they are getting hit with a tampering charge and everyone knows it.

I don't think tampering comes in to play when it's a player talking about where he'd be willing to be traded to or sign as an FA. If the team Beal may be interested in says something, then it's tampering.

Lebron recently said, he could play for the Warriors, that's okay...But if Kerr or some other non-player even said as much as "Lebron's style of play would be a great fit for us", they could get hit with tampering.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In a weird way, Westbrook to the Hornets actually makes sense. They play a wide open, up and down style that Westbrook would actually fit in.

The problem would be, I don't think you would want Westbrook and LaMelo on the floor together a lot...so who swallows their pride and comes off the bench?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know all of the parameters with the cap. But what seem to be the 3 easiest paths, don't make a lot of sense.

1 is that both Kyrie and Westbrook opt in and get traded for each other. Which I can't see KD being okay with.

2 is that Kyrie decides that money isn't important to him, opts out and signs with the Lakers for the TPMLE. Aside from the shitstorm THAT would create and the fact that the NBAPA would lose their minds...I don't think even Kyrie is crazy enough to walk away from $30 million.

3 is some kind of sign and trade, but I believe that would hard cap the Lakers which, among other problems, would severely limit their ability to put decent players around them.

That leaves the possibility of a 3 team deal...but other teams can offer more in a 2 team deal, so he'd essentially have to force his way to the Lakers.
Yeah, it's a tangled web.

Any higher salary teams will need assistance facilitating a trade.

But, there won't be many teams that can take on a salary over 35-40 mil on their own.

You'd have to break up Westbrook's salary between multiple teams.

Of the teams on the list, we know Portland isn't helping with that because they are trying to win.

Don't know about the Spurs either.

But, Indy and Orlando.....probably, yeah.

Especially if you are eating Brogdon.

Problem with that is other teams actually want him, allegedly.

Here's a article on teams expected to have space when free agency begins.

Don't expect a wide number of gaudy deals to be made this summer, because as it stands right now, only five teams are projected to have significant cap space to work with. The Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Orlando Magic, Portland Trail Blazers and San Antonio Spurs are all projected to have more than roughly $20 million in cap space available, with the Magic and Pistons set to have the most at over $27 million apiece.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a weird way, Westbrook to the Hornets actually makes sense. They play a wide open, up and down style that Westbrook would actually fit in.

The problem would be, I don't think you would want Westbrook and LaMelo on the floor together a lot...so who swallows their pride and comes off the bench?
Jordan is a trash owner, just like Sarver.

Loves owning a team.

Refuses to pay to retain talent.

I could totally see this happening.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

Plus, it's not really possible to get him unless he opts in.

I actively try to avoid all salary cap discussions outside of the basics.

But, doesn't a team need to be below the hard deck to be eligible for a sign and trade?

If that's true, a team like the Clippers would need to shed salary first.

I would guess the Lakers are in a similar position once Russ opts in.

I think the Lakers stayed below last year, and their free agents should be enough to keep them under even with Russ' year to year raise.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's a tangled web.

Any higher salary teams will need assistance facilitating a trade.

But, there won't be many teams that can take on a salary over 35-40 mil on their own.

You'd have to break up Westbrook's salary between multiple teams.

Of the teams on the list, we know Portland isn't helping with that because they are trying to win.

Don't know about the Spurs either.

But, Indy and Orlando.....probably, yeah.

Especially if you are eating Brogdon.

Problem with that is other teams actually want him, allegedly.

Here's a article on teams expected to have space when free agency begins.

Don't expect a wide number of gaudy deals to be made this summer, because as it stands right now, only five teams are projected to have significant cap space to work with. The Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Orlando Magic, Portland Trail Blazers and San Antonio Spurs are all projected to have more than roughly $20 million in cap space available, with the Magic and Pistons set to have the most at over $27 million apiece.

Three way trade?

Westbrook to the Hornets
Rozier, Hayward to the Nets
Kyrie to the Lakers

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan is a trash owner, just like Sarver.

Loves owning a team.

Refuses to pay to retain talent.

I could totally see this happening.

Does he refuse to pay...or is he just impatient? It seems like he brings guy in and if they don't win fast enough, he moves on rather than look to make tweaks and/or let guys develop.

Scary Terry and a healthy Hayward would solve a lot of the Lakers issues. Don't know if it would mnake them title favorites...but it would put them squarely in the convo.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers stayed below last year, and their free agents should be enough to keep them under even with Russ' year to year raise.
This is for sign and trade guys, specifically.

Opt-in and trade guys aren't subject to this rule.

I'm just thinking about worst case scenarios. If guys like Beal, Kyrie want the trade and the bag, what type of constraints are they under?

Clippers are out.

We have 168 mil in salary and have exceeded the hard deck.

You'd be looking at about 7 minimum salary guys with Lebron, Beal and AD.

The luxury tax apron, which hard-capped teams must remain below, is $155,196,200.

The Tax Apron is the amount above the Tax Level that cannot be exceed by any team that uses the non-taxpayer mid-level exception or the bi-annual exception, or by any team that acquires a free agent in a sign-and-trade. When the Tax Apron applies to a team, it serves as a “hard cap” that the team cannot exceed under any circumstances.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does he refuse to pay...or is he just impatient? It seems like he brings guy in and if they don't win fast enough, he moves on rather than look to make tweaks and/or let guys develop.

Scary Terry and a healthy Hayward would solve a lot of the Lakers issues. Don't know if it would mnake them title favorites...but it would put them squarely in the convo.
Title favorites, no.

Playoff team, yep.

Hayward isn't washed.

But, he's also not the guy who left Utah either.

Depending on him and Davis for your success would terrify me.

Rozier, I love.

If he can play off ball with Lamelo, he would thrive with Lebron.

As for Jordan, yes.

I honestly believe he's both cheap and a bit incompetent.

Remember: He's the guy who turned down four 1st rounders for Frank Fucking Kaminsky... lol

He's also the guy that is looking to trade his 2 nd best player and not pay his 3rd.

Bridges isn't a max player. But, he is for THEM.

I really expected Mitch to offset that more.

In fairness, he was smart to not pay Kemba.

Gotta tip my hat on that one.

Last edited: