• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Lions Off-Season Thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibility to add to iDL for one year only. Yes, he's 32, but he played out of position last year according to this write-up. I know there were several of us who wanted to bring him in before Caldwell was fired. If correctly projected to receive 3M for 1-year, then that isn't a bad risk. I'd have to wait until tier2 free agency comes to a close.

96. DI SHELDON RICHARDSON, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Richardson was a cap casualty of the Cleveland Browns following the 2020 season, and while they were probably smart to save the cash/cap they did, the Browns interior defender unit ranked dead last in 2021 partly because of Richardson’s absence. Richardson graded out above 60.0 in every facet in 2021 and generated 37 quarterback pressures, continuing his impressive consistency as a quality interior pass rusher.

Strengths:
– Winning with power as a pass-rusher
– Experience starting at multiple positions on DL

Weaknesses:
– Moved too easily in the run game in 2021
– Not a dynamic pass-rush threat

Scheme Fit/Role:
VERSATILE INTERIOR DEFENSIVE LINEMAN: Richardson has primarily played defensive tackle on four-man fronts of late, but he did kick out to defensive end this past season in Minnesota and has graded out best when lined up over tackles during the past three seasons. The 31-year-old is durable and still brings a well-rounded game, even if he's no longer the dominant run defender he was early in his career for the Jets.

Recent Injury History:
Richardson's 6,722 regular season defensive snaps since 2013 rank 11th among all defensive linemen. It's hard to knock his availability.

Contract Projection: One year, $3 million fully guaranteed

Bottom Line:

Richardson is coming off a career-worst 62.1 PFF grade in 2021 — a season in which he had to transition from the interior to the edge following the losses of Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen. He has graded above the 60th percentile as a run defender and pass rusher on the interior over the past three seasons and projects as an average to slightly above-average starter entering the 2022 season.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't give a second thought towards try to sign Jefferson at their projected cost of 2-years and 11.5M, however, if the cost ended up as a 1-year 3-4M, then I'd definitely consider him as an option. He'd be a better option than Jashon Cornell, imo.

174. DI QUINTON JEFFERSON, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

While Jefferson's 51.5 PFF grade marked a career-low, his 686 snaps, 46 quarterback pressures and six sacks were all career-highs. Jefferson is a solid pass-rushing 3-technique who can disrupt on the interior — a coveted skill set across the league.

Strengths:
-Lateral agility
-Productive pass-rusher over last three years

Weaknesses:
-Gets stuck on blocks in the run game
-One really productive season was 2019

Scheme Fit/Role:
ROTATIONAL INTERIOR LINEMAN: Jefferson can line up anywhere between the C gaps, and he's provided reasonable production across multiple teams in recent years.

Recent Injury History:
Jefferson had foot surgery after the 2019 season, but he played in every game in 2020 and 2021.

Contract Projection: Two years, $11.5 million ($5.75M per year), $6 million total guaranteed

Bottom Line:
Jefferson is a quality rotational option who can rush the passer from multiple alignments. He's gotten moved more than you'd like to see in the run game in recent years, so limiting his exposure to double teams is important, but he can provide a solid complementary pass-rushing option.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't give a second thought towards try to sign Jefferson at their projected cost of 2-years and 11.5M, however, if the cost ended up as a 1-year 3-4M, then I'd definitely consider him as an option. He'd be a better option than Jashon Cornell, imo.

174. DI QUINTON JEFFERSON, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

While Jefferson's 51.5 PFF grade marked a career-low, his 686 snaps, 46 quarterback pressures and six sacks were all career-highs. Jefferson is a solid pass-rushing 3-technique who can disrupt on the interior — a coveted skill set across the league.

Strengths:
-Lateral agility
-Productive pass-rusher over last three years

Weaknesses:
-Gets stuck on blocks in the run game
-One really productive season was 2019

Scheme Fit/Role:
ROTATIONAL INTERIOR LINEMAN: Jefferson can line up anywhere between the C gaps, and he's provided reasonable production across multiple teams in recent years.

Recent Injury History:
Jefferson had foot surgery after the 2019 season, but he played in every game in 2020 and 2021.

Contract Projection: Two years, $11.5 million ($5.75M per year), $6 million total guaranteed

Bottom Line:
Jefferson is a quality rotational option who can rush the passer from multiple alignments. He's gotten moved more than you'd like to see in the run game in recent years, so limiting his exposure to double teams is important, but he can provide a solid complementary pass-rushing option.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think about the Lions free agency so far?

Seems pretty reasonable. Not over spending too much and got some nice players locked up like Harris, Chark and Walker.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's finally official. Trey Flowers' release is not a pre or post June-1 cut. His 10.386M cap savings is now on record.

We're flush with cap space, so might as well contact LB'ers D. Levy and C. Jones to see if they're up to the task.

Total Cap Liabilities: $214,999,010
  • Top 51: $175,214,476
  • Team Cap Space: $21,447,310
  • Offense: $115,526,717
  • Defense: $74,048,507
  • Special: $4,405,000

Contracted Players (74 total)​

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems pretty reasonable. Not over spending too much and got some nice players locked up like Harris, Chark and Walker.
So far it has gone pretty much to my plan so no complaints. We need a lot of defense now.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I watched the Lions last year I thought they just looked overmatched. As a long time Lions fan I have seen them lose in a number of strange and unique ways. They've tried bad coaches and bad schemes. They've played poorly, or had holes in the roster. They've been injured or simply given up. Sometimes they play better than the other team and still lose on luck, or on big calls. Blown or missed or jade up or even real. They've done it all. They even had a game they were going to win and the refs just said the game was over and we didn't get to play the rest of it. Many different kinds of losses. But this past year was boring, they just didn't have any talent at any spot on the roster.

But they've made a big push this off-season to sign their own guys and not a big push to sign other teams guys. Oh they did go after one guy from the only team worse than themselves. Not that I really think that's any indictment of baby Chark but it's still ironic.

Whatever though. I'm fine with them throwing this season for a shot at a QB #1 overall next year. Or that pass rusher from Bama, he looks nice too.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I watched the Lions last year I thought they just looked overmatched. As a long time Lions fan I have seen them lose in a number of strange and unique ways. They've tried bad coaches and bad schemes. They've played poorly, or had holes in the roster. They've been injured or simply given up. Sometimes they play better than the other team and still lose on luck, or on big calls. Blown or missed or jade up or even real. They've done it all. They even had a game they were going to win and the refs just said the game was over and we didn't get to play the rest of it. Many different kinds of losses. But this past year was boring, they just didn't have any talent at any spot on the roster.

But they've made a big push this off-season to sign their own guys and not a big push to sign other teams guys. Oh they did go after one guy from the only team worse than themselves. Not that I really think that's any indictment of baby Chark but it's still ironic.

Whatever though. I'm fine with them throwing this season for a shot at a QB #1 overall next year. Or that pass rusher from Bama, he looks nice too.
Lions also have never given us a reason to believe they will hit on draft picks, which meant the only way to add talent would be through Free Agency. One draft in and they have done very well, universally agreed they had one of the best drafts last year. This year they have 5 of the top 100 picks.

The way I see it, Lions have a top 10 oline, and a very good stable of RB's. The only major weakness of the offense was WR, and that is improved already, with a chance to add more in the Draft.

I think the Lions made the right call this offseason, Let your draft improve your team, only spend when the team is closer to competing. I think they win 6-7 games this year instead of 3.5. Building through the draft just makes sense, Campbell is in no rush with the contract he got.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But this past year was boring, they just didn't have any talent at any spot on the roster.

You sure about that? Penei Sewell, Taylor Decker, TJ Hockenson, AR-SB, D. Swift, Jonah Jackson improved greatly over his rookie season, Vaitai was much better, and no sacks given up by him. There's lots to fix, but your statement comes across as a defeated, sour grapes, Lions fan.
In today CFB world, most of these kids aren't prepared to play in the NFL and that's inclusive of the so-called blue-chip players. It takes a year or two for them to become acclimated because the coaching at the college level is pretty much abysmal.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One draft in and they have done very well, universally agreed they had one of the best drafts last year.

Yep, and there's still plenty of need for improvement, however, we saw flashes of what could be in minute areas for Levi O and Barnes. Those two need to get on an ascending track.

he way I see it, Lions have a top 10 oline, and a very good stable of RB's. The only major weakness of the offense was WR, and that is improved already, with a chance to add more in the Draft.

Agree and well stated. As much as I was boo-hooing with the amount of money given to Chark, I no longer have a buyer's remorse, but it could've been much worse as in signing a player to a contract like Christian Kirk's.

I think the Lions made the right call this offseason, Let your draft improve your team, only spend when the team is closer to competing.

This right here.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sipping blue Kool-aide, but I'd rather see Holmes and company take the more reserved route then to bury this team in debt with high-priced free agents who usually don't pan out, all the while stunting the growth of the younger players who need time to develop.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following makes me feel better regarding the acquisition of WR Chark. I'll still be concerned with his injury history; however, a 1-year contract means we can move on rather easily if he's not a fit.

Chark met with the media on Thursday after officially signing his new deal, and explained that he had longer deals on the table, but the Lions offered something some of those other teams didn’t: the right culture.

“I had a few who wanted to do long-term deals, but it wasn’t the right fit,” Chark said. “This was the right fit. I’m happy about my decision.”

Detroit has put a heavy emphasis on culture since bringing in general manager Brad Holmes and head coach Dan Campbell

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Blough and Boyle is pissing money away and there's no getting around it.

The Detroit Lions are re-signing quarterback David Blough to a one-year, $1.35 million deal, per Pelissero. The team is signing tight end Garrett Griffin, who played under head coach Dan Campbell while with the Saints, Pelissero reported.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this commercial tonight while watching March madness. I thought it was comical and good for you Matt Stafford. Boom !

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Blough and Boyle is pissing money away and there's no getting around it.

The Detroit Lions are re-signing quarterback David Blough to a one-year, $1.35 million deal, per Pelissero. The team is signing tight end Garrett Griffin, who played under head coach Dan Campbell while with the Saints, Pelissero reported.
Why even bother. Just bring in a UDFA. Same talent level.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You happy now?

Yep.

They can do better drafting a chase/will Lb in this year's draft instead of hoping JRM is going to drastically improve in what seems like year 9.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

They can do better drafting a chase/will Lb in this year's draft instead of hoping JRM is going to drastically improve in what seems like year 9.
FA too. How about that Kyzir guy from SD?