• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Lions Off-Season Thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still doesn't include cap savings once Trey Flowers is released. I don't understand the reasoning as to why it hasn't happened already. Is there a rule having to wait until new league year begins to use the post-June 1st cut designation? This cap space also doesn't include Kalif Raymond's 2022 cap hit.

Total Cap Liabilities: $226,031,775
  • Top 51: $197,500,241
  • Team Cap Space: $12,014,545

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't pertain to this year's cap space, but in 2023 our possible cap space could be sitting with approximately 61M assuming Flowers dead money is completely written off this year (23M cap hit for 2023) and including Brockers (10M cap savings for 2023) not being retained for 2023.

There are still many questions of who remains on the 2023 roster as far as expected and unexpected UFA's next year plus.
Chark 6M dead money if he is released would lessen that alleged 61M
Goff 20M dead money if he is released would lessen that alleged 61M

Hockenson's 5th year option (they haven't officially agreed to that yet) at nearly 10M would be 1st to lower that 61M

2023 more important UFA's
------------------------------------------------------------
RB J. Williams
RB Craig Reynolds (ERFA) he stays or doesn't play
OC E. Brown
DE A. Bryant
LB A. Anzalone
CB A. Oruwariye
SS W. Harris
P J. Fox (RFA)
RT M. Nelson (RFA)
LT D. Skipper (RFA)
LS Scott Daly (ERFA)
PK R. Patterson (ERFA)
OG T. Kraemer (ERFA)
TE B. Wright (ERFA)

I didn't include 32 other UFA because they're mostly these futures singings or bottom end roster players specifically to get to 90-man roster

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mbert

We're not Broke
I am not sure I love this, Now we have Chark for 1, but are paying him for 3, I am not sure how sustainable this is. Walker going from 3 to 12 year 2 is one of the big things.

Then again, if the saints can start every year -60 million in cap space and still spend every year why can't we. Every year we hear the bill is finally come due, and every year they keep chugging along.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ioannidis was just released, and I think he could add some value to the dline.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep.

If I'm not mistaken, you had mentioned him as a player you liked from the 2018 draft.
I'm down for this possible add on to roster

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure I love this, Now we have Chark for 1, but are paying him for 3, I am not sure how sustainable this is. Walker going from 3 to 12 year 2 is one of the big things.

LOL. I've been bitching about this kick the can down the road contract manipulations for years and you pretty much told me to "go fuck myself as its how business is done". Hhhmmm.

It's not only Chark's, TW lll contract, it extends to numerous players contracts that it becomes perilous similar to the Rams, Packers, Saints, Chiefs, Cowboys, Bills and whomever else I forgot at this time.

It's bad business.

Now, I'll receive the same old response that the cap space goes up every year. Yes, it does, however, it never evens out in comparison. Never.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

If I'm not mistaken, you had mentioned him as a player you liked from the 2018 draft.
I'm down for this possible add on to roster
I don't think from the draft, I wanted to trade for him last year as I thought he was very talented, but buried in dline that is loaded.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think from the draft, I wanted to trade for him last year as I thought he was very talented, but buried in dline that is loaded.

Your take might be right and at this time I won't bother on looking through history.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is he more 3-4 Base Big End or can he play 3-tech with some 5/4i-tech mixed in when we do employ those 3-4Base alignments? I honestly don't recall his best fit.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he more 3-4 Base Big End or can he play 3-tech with some 5/4i-tech mixed in when we do employ those 3-4Base alignments? I honestly don't recall his best fit.
He was at his best when the Redskins had more of a 3-4, he might not be a great fit anymore, the new 4-3 is when his production declined.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

R D.J. Chark Jr.: One year, $10 million fully guaranteed (up to $12 million)

Chark missed the majority of the 2021 season with a fractured ankle, but there should be no long-term concerns, and he’ll still be just 25 years old in Week 1 of the 2022 season. Chark earned a career-best 75.8 receiving grade in his sophomore 2019 season, going over 1,000 receiving yards with just two drops on 114 targets.

The LSU product is every bit of 6-foot-4 and ran a 4.34-second 40-yard dash, a true big-bodied burner on the outside. He has skills that simply cannot be taught. The Lions did very well here to get him on a one-year flier, providing a huge boost to their offense. And now Chark can also play his way into a substantial multi-year deal next offseason.

Grade: Above average

Edge Charles Harris: Two years, $14 million

Harris put together a rewarding contract-year breakout for Detroit last season, earning a 78.7 PFF pass-rushing grade on 871 defensive snaps. It was the first time he cleared 500 defensive snaps in a season, and his 52 quarterback pressures were more than he recorded in his previous three seasons combined.

That kind of jump tends to be dangerous when it comes to contract extensions from the team’s perspective, but this looks to be a reasonable deal for Detroit. Harris can get to the quarterback from wide alignments, and the Lions aren’t exactly flush with pass-rushing options as of now.

Grade: Above average

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

43. WR D.J. CHARK JR., JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Chark’s relationship with former Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer didn’t get off to the best start, as Meyer said he was a “big guy that played little.” In a wide receiver room devoid of top-end talent, Chark was supposed to be that guy. Unfortunately, an ankle injury sustained in Week 4 knocked him out for the remainder of what was quite the eventful season in Jacksonville. Chark may look to depart for greener pastures, and there should be a handful of teams interested in adding a 6-foot-4 wide receiver with 4.3 speed.

Strengths:
– Speed
– Size
– Ball skills and body control

Weaknesses:
– Physicality running routes
– Feel for zone coverage
– Contested catches

Scheme Fit/Role:
DEEP THREAT/NO. 3 RECEIVER: Chark has the speed to burn and an excellent frame to give defensive backs all kinds of problems at the catch point or if he can gain any separation in his route. He has the speed to run away from defenders after the catch but struggles to set up corners or win against physicality. His speed should always be valuable and a team like New Orleans could use that threat.

Recent Injury History:
Chark has had a pretty extensive injury history including missing almost all of the 2021 season with an ankle injury. He has a slight frame and has shown a concerning level of durability.

Contract Projection: Two years, $25 million ($12.5M per year, $15 million total guaranteed)

Bottom Line:
Injuries will scare teams off Chark as will the weaknesses in his game, but he has game-changing speed and is a little more than just a one-trick pony on the deep ball, and that always has a place in an NFL offense. He will be a luxury pick for a team that already has a solid receiving corp.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While most likely not at the top of the draft picks, we'll still need a TE2 and a swing OT. The latter could easily wait until day 3 while the former could possibly be a value pick, depending on previous drafted players, somewhere in 3rd round.

Personally, I'm good either way as Brock Wright is one TE who needs to further develop and may be seen as adequate enough to go into training camp.
And no love for Matt Nelson? Or is his injury that bad that he might be done?

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't pertain to this year's cap space, but in 2023 our possible cap space could be sitting with approximately 61M assuming Flowers dead money is completely written off this year (23M cap hit for 2023) and including Brockers (10M cap savings for 2023) not being retained for 2023.

There are still many questions of who remains on the 2023 roster as far as expected and unexpected UFA's next year plus.
Chark 6M dead money if he is released would lessen that alleged 61M
Goff 20M dead money if he is released would lessen that alleged 61M

Hockenson's 5th year option (they haven't officially agreed to that yet) at nearly 10M would be 1st to lower that 61M

2023 more important UFA's
------------------------------------------------------------
RB J. Williams
RB Craig Reynolds (ERFA) he stays or doesn't play
OC E. Brown
DE A. Bryant
LB A. Anzalone
CB A. Oruwariye
SS W. Harris
P J. Fox (RFA)
RT M. Nelson (RFA)
LT D. Skipper (RFA)
LS Scott Daly (ERFA)
PK R. Patterson (ERFA)
OG T. Kraemer (ERFA)
TE B. Wright (ERFA)

I didn't include 32 other UFA because they're mostly these futures singings or bottom end roster players specifically to get to 90-man roster
We really need to get Fox and Patty paid.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A SS that mostly fits our need, however, we do run zone concepts that are not all matchup zone.

64. S JAYRON KEARSE, DALLAS COWBOYS

Kearse signed a veteran minimum salary deal with the Cowboys this offseason and was one of many safety additions alongside Damontae Kazee and hybrid S/LB Keanu Neal. Despite the competition for snaps, Kearse has emerged as the best of the bunch, earning a career-high 76.8 grade on over 1,000 snaps after never having played more than 503 in a single season.

Strengths:
– Size
– Man coverage vs TEs
– Tackling

Weaknesses:

– Sample size
– Something of a ‘tweener

Scheme Fit/Role:

MATCHUP SS: Kearse is at his best using his size and length to cover tight ends one-on-one as the answer to how that position has developed in recent years. He has the size to combat those bigger bodies and the coverage skills to go man-to-man. Teams that play a lot of man coverage or matchup zone should consider him specifically for that assignment.

Recent Injury History:

Kearse played over 1,000 snaps in the regular season in 2021 before picking up a hamstring injury before Week 18.

Contract Projection:
Three years, $15 million ($5M per year), $8.25 million total guaranteed

Bottom Line:
Jayron Kearse is a potential answer to the matchup problems caused by tight ends who can run and catch like wideouts but in a 250-pound frame. Kearse has man coverage skills but in a much bigger body. How he fares in traditional zone assignments is less clear, which limits his market.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And no love for Matt Nelson? Or is his injury that bad that he might be done?

Nothing to do with his injury.

I'd get more bang for my buck traveling to New York and constantly passing through their subway turnstiles for 3 1/2 hours on "any given Sunday"

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

43. WR D.J. CHARK JR., JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Chark’s relationship with former Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer didn’t get off to the best start, as Meyer said he was a “big guy that played little.” In a wide receiver room devoid of top-end talent, Chark was supposed to be that guy. Unfortunately, an ankle injury sustained in Week 4 knocked him out for the remainder of what was quite the eventful season in Jacksonville. Chark may look to depart for greener pastures, and there should be a handful of teams interested in adding a 6-foot-4 wide receiver with 4.3 speed.

Strengths:
– Speed
– Size
– Ball skills and body control

Weaknesses:
– Physicality running routes
– Feel for zone coverage
– Contested catches

Scheme Fit/Role:
DEEP THREAT/NO. 3 RECEIVER: Chark has the speed to burn and an excellent frame to give defensive backs all kinds of problems at the catch point or if he can gain any separation in his route. He has the speed to run away from defenders after the catch but struggles to set up corners or win against physicality. His speed should always be valuable and a team like New Orleans could use that threat.

Recent Injury History:
Chark has had a pretty extensive injury history including missing almost all of the 2021 season with an ankle injury. He has a slight frame and has shown a concerning level of durability.

Contract Projection: Two years, $25 million ($12.5M per year, $15 million total guaranteed)

Bottom Line:
Injuries will scare teams off Chark as will the weaknesses in his game, but he has game-changing speed and is a little more than just a one-trick pony on the deep ball, and that always has a place in an NFL offense. He will be a luxury pick for a team that already has a solid receiving corp.
You love him now. Admit it.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really need to get Fox and Patty paid.

Not paying Fox is going to come back to haunt them unless he incurs some catastrophic injury. I get it that Holmes is nickel and diming money but it's the wrong position to take. Flipping field position by a Punter can be tantamount. If Holmes repeats this same shit with Fox next year as an RFA, then if I'm Fox, I'm leaving once another team makes any kind of offer.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You love him now. Admit it.

Nope. I posted it for the simple reason that he cannot beat press-man coverage consistently and doesn't truly win one-on-one matchups outside of using his speed. I watched him at LSU for the two years he was healthy. He was injured his freshman and sophomore years with ankle injuries.