• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-23 Flyers: How about just less suck?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Avs are really good if it wasn't for those two crappy goals like a minute apart they would've won handily.
Yea my biggest concern is Kuempfer, if he can play solid Avs can win this, but man he looks bad at times. Should have stuck with Francouz.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers had a major advantage in that Panarin only wanted to play in NY and Fox also wanted to be traded to them. A good way to jumpstart the rebuild is to add a Hart caliber forward who only wants to live in your city and a Norris caliber dman who essentially forces a trade to your team by refusing to sign a contract with anyone else.

So they're not really a good comparable. Granted, the Flyers should strive to be a "destination team" like the Rangers are and they're far from it which is a major problem. But the Rangers "rebuild" isn't a typical rebuild. They were essentially handed two stars, fleeced Ottawa for Zibanejad, and hit a home run on the Shesterkin pick. Boom, top 10 team in the league.

A more realistic rebuild takes a few more years than what the Rangers did. Even if you do dump all your good players.
Three things about this post. First Fox had no say in where he wanted to go as he was just a kid coming out of college who was signed with Carolina. The Canes just made a really bad trade.
Second the Rags without Panarin are still a Stanley cup contender. He pretty much as invisible most of their run this year.
Third Hextall put us in a position where we aren't a desirable destination but we were prior to that why have we just stayed middle of the pack for like 20 years except for our 2010 run.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea my biggest concern is Kuempfer, if he can play solid Avs can win this, but man he looks bad at times. Should have stuck with Francouz.
If they win three more it wont matter.

Man i wish we could get a Stanley cup in our hands so bad!! :gaah:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should've been done two years ago when Giroux and Jake still had value and it was obvious to everyone we had no shot at a cup just a first round exit at the very best.

The Flyers, and some fans including me, put too much stock in the Flyers team going in to the pandemic stoppage. They were playing like a cup contender. They finished the season with the 6th most points in the league, won 13 out of 14 going in to the pause and through play in round. A lot of them in dominant fashion. Konecny, Couturier, Giroux, and Jake were all flirting with point-per game status. Provorov was on a lot of lists for the Norris going in to 2020-21, Hart was on the Vezina watchlist. They looked like they had the makings of a cup contender.

Unfortunately, it was just a hot streak. Not a single Flyers player has looked that good since and it's all come crumbling down.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers, and some fans including me, put too much stock in the Flyers team going in to the pandemic stoppage. They were playing like a cup contender. They finished the season with the 6th most points in the league, won 13 out of 14 going in to the pause and through play in round. A lot of them in dominant fashion. Konecny, Couturier, Giroux, and Jake were all flirting with point-per game status. Provorov was on a lot of lists for the Norris going in to 2020-21, Hart was on the Vezina watchlist. They looked like they had the makings of a cup contender.

Unfortunately, it was just a hot streak. Not a single Flyers player has looked that good since and it's all come crumbling down.
And the only thing we really lost was Niskinen, crazy how we went into almost instant free fall.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three things about this post. First Fox had no say in where he wanted to go as he was just a kid coming out of college who was signed with Carolina. The Canes just made a really bad trade.
Second the Rags without Panarin are still a Stanley cup contender. He pretty much as invisible most of their run this year.
Third Hextall put us in a position where we aren't a desirable destination but we were prior to that why have we just stayed middle of the pack for like 20 years except for our 2010 run.

Fox did have a say. He was drafted by the Flames. Didn't sign with them and was traded. Then told the Canes he wasn't going to sign with them and was traded again as a result.

From the article I linked:

"Harvard defenseman Adam Fox, whose NHL rights are owned by Carolina, won't be signing an entry-level deal with the Hurricanes, according to The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun, and the Jericho, N.Y. native is being linked to the Rangers.

Should Fox get traded to a team he wants to sign with, he could do so this year and forgo his senior season at Harvard. However, he could also do what current Ranger and Harvard alum Jimmy Vesey did in 2016 and play out his senior year in order to become an unrestricted free agent after completing his fourth NCAA season. "

The Canes were forced in to trading him because he wouldn't sign. And they were forced to trade him somewhere where he would agree to sign (his childhood team Rangers) rather than play his senior year at Harvard and take himself to unrestricted free agency where he could sign with whoever he wanted, because no team would give up assets if he wasn't going to sign with them anyway.

And give me a break on Panarin. He had 96 points this year and was 3rd on the team with 16 pts in 20 games in the playoffs. Stanley cup contender without him. You're the only person on the face of the planet that thinks that.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the only thing we really lost was Niskinen, crazy how we went into almost instant free fall.
The players drafted and traded for and signed by Hextall just aren't that good and that's the extent of it. Fletcher came in with one leg tied behind his back in an ass kicking contest and tried to help but its tough when you have been dealt that bad of a hand. Hopefully after Fletcher is gone and the new coach is gone we can get back on track starting from scratch.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's mind-blowing to me still. I liked Niskanen, but he was no where near good enough to be the difference between that Flyers team and the garbage they turned in to. Was it just the fact that he had won before? I know the stat out there is pretty nuts for how few teams have won a cup without having someone on the team that has already won one, but damn.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players drafted and traded for and signed by Hextall just aren't that good and that's the extent of it. Fletcher came in with one leg tied behind his back in an ass kicking contest and tried to help but its tough when you have been dealt that bad of a hand. Hopefully after Fletcher is gone and the new coach is gone we can get back on track starting from scratch.
Well I hope when Fletcher is gone we're not stuck with a bunch Ristolainen type contracts! There's a shit ton of better, more productive blue collar players out there besides Ristolainen, Hayes and JVR. We need better depth all the way through the lineup.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does Coots get the "C" now, or should we find a solid vet who has won to come in? Who would you choose if the latter?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S
Fox did have a say. He was drafted by the Flames. Didn't sign with them and was traded. Then told the Canes he wasn't going to sign with them and was traded again as a result.

From the article I linked:

"Harvard defenseman Adam Fox, whose NHL rights are owned by Carolina, won't be signing an entry-level deal with the Hurricanes, according to The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun, and the Jericho, N.Y. native is being linked to the Rangers.

Should Fox get traded to a team he wants to sign with, he could do so this year and forgo his senior season at Harvard. However, he could also do what current Ranger and Harvard alum Jimmy Vesey did in 2016 and play out his senior year in order to become an unrestricted free agent after completing his fourth NCAA season. "

The Canes were forced in to trading him because he wouldn't sign. And they were forced to trade him somewhere where he would agree to sign (his childhood team Rangers) rather than play his senior year at Harvard and take himself to unrestricted free agency where he could sign with whoever he wanted, because no team would give up assets if he wasn't going to sign with them anyway.

And give me a break on Panarin. He had 96 points this year and was 3rd on the team with 16 pts in 20 games in the playoffs. Stanley cup contender without him. You're the only person on the face of the planet that thinks that.
Wow that's good i dint know that about Fox good pull.

Im just saying I'm not the only one who says this about Panarin every Rangers fan at work and every one of my friends from the neighborhood and bar where saying the same thing. They thought he was playing hurt and wanted him to sit so that tells me they didn't want him playing on this run at the cup. The planet is bigger than you think.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I hope when Fletcher is gone we're not stuck with a bunch Ristolainen type contracts! There's a shit ton of better, more productive blue collar players out there besides Ristolainen, Hayes and JVR. We need better depth all the way through the lineup.
100% correct.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does Coots get the "C" now, or should we find a solid vet who has won to come in? Who would you choose if the latter?
I say give it to Couts. Im not sure but i think i remember someone wanted to give it to Laughton.

I say if not Couts lets sign Yandle again and give it to him. :pound:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My vote is for Laughton or Atkinson. I think Laughton is the true heartbeat of the team and I prefer when the star can just worry about being the star, not the extra crap that comes with the C.

But I also like they way Atkinson plays and the way he talks about giving 110% every shift. Seems like a positive guy too. I think he'd be a great C, if not Laughton. Plus if you want to change the mindset of the team you probably want more of an outside voice. Cam was here last year obviously, but just the 1 year. You give it to Laughton or Couturier you're kind of getting more of the same since they've been here for a long time.

Plus if it really is Torts, it sounds like Atkinson and Torts have a great relationship.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say give it to Couts. Im not sure but i think i remember someone wanted to give it to Laughton.

I say if not Couts lets sign Yandle again and give it to him. :pound:
I'm hoping the only way Yandle gets near our rink is if he forgot something on his way out last season.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My vote is for Laughton or Atkinson. I think Laughton is the true heartbeat of the team and I prefer when the star can just worry about being the star, not the extra crap that comes with the C.

But I also like they way Atkinson plays and the way he talks about giving 110% every shift. Seems like a positive guy too. I think he'd be a great C, if not Laughton. Plus if you want to change the mindset of the team you probably want more of an outside voice. Cam was here last year obviously, but just the 1 year. You give it to Laughton or Couturier you're kind of getting more of the same since they've been here for a long time.

Plus if it really is Torts, it sounds like Atkinson and Torts have a great relationship.
Laughton could be good, there have been tons of captains who aren't superstar limelight guys, Atkinson could be good to. We need more Atkinson on our team.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S

Wow that's good i dint know that about Fox good pull.

Im just saying I'm not the only one who says this about Panarin every Rangers fan at work and every one of my friends from the neighborhood and bar where saying the same thing. They thought he was playing hurt and wanted him to sit so that tells me they didn't want him playing on this run at the cup. The planet is bigger than you think.

Canes fans down here don't like Fox very much :D

But they're nuts too if they're saying the same thing on Panarin. There's a really big difference between not meeting the expectations of a 96 point regular season and sitting your 3rd leading point getter in the playoffs. If you sit Panarin you're talking about Andrew freakin Copp as your 3rd best forward in terms of offensive production. That's not winning a cup regardless of who's in net. The "kid line" got a bunch of chatter during their run, but combined they only had 23 points. Not that many more than Panarin by himself (16).

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laughton could be good, there have been tons of captains who aren't superstar limelight guys, Atkinson could be good to. We need more Atkinson on our team.

Agreed. Honestly Atkinson is the one bandaid holding it together regarding the Torts rumors for me. I love the way Atkinson plays and he has frequently endorsed Torts and said he's a big reason why he is the player he is. The Flyers could use a lot more of that.

Torts just annoys the shit out of me. :pound:

And I think he'll milk some playoff berths out of this squad giving management hope they can win with this roster.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Honestly Atkinson is the one bandaid holding it together regarding the Torts rumors for me. I love the way Atkinson plays and he has frequently endorsed Torts and said he's a big reason why he is the player he is. The Flyers could use a lot more of that.

Torts just annoys the shit out of me. :pound:

And I think he'll milk some playoff berths out of this squad giving management hope they can win with this roster.
Yea he annoys me to, I just wonder if he would be on the same page as the management team or would they hinder his coaching abilities?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3