• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-2023 NBA Season Thread

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the walking contradiction in you......It's great when Embiid leads better players to the 4 seed, right? and even though team healthier only wins 1 round?
Well yes, I thought we already established that in the seeding system that utilitizes the widely recognized base ten method of counting that <checks notes> a 4 seed is indeed better than a 6 seed. Were the Sixers actually healthier or is it that Embiid played through a broken orbital, Harden played through a wonky hamstring while Murray and Porter refused to go?

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has. Do you watch him or do you just box score watch? The way basketball stats are charted Embiid gets no stat that reflects when he is doubled in the post and he makes the correct pass out of it, the defense makes the correct rotation to the guy who receives the pass and that guy takes advantage of the rotation and finds the wide open guy for the clean look. Embiid starts that play. Embiid creates that open look because of the double he draws and yet statistically that’s a nothing. That’s why I bothers me when people lean exclusively on stats to judge a player.

I am clearly being a bit sarcastic here…

I know Embiid is a very good passer.

I just disagree strongly about the value of the 2B players.

I think the offensively value Jokic brings is far greater than Embiid to a team and more then offsets the defensive edge for Embiid.

Joker’s play style is just so easy to fit with. I have always lauded Klay Thompson for being the type of player who can fit with literally anyone. Well, Jokic is similar in that I just think he meshes with any style.

Embiid is more ball dominant in a way that you have to think a bit more about roster construction in who you pair with him.

Just my opinion, but I think you are significantly underestimating Joker’s offensive value. Because as good as Embiid is, Joker is just next level.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has. Do you watch him or do you just box score watch? The way basketball stats are charted Embiid gets no stat that reflects when he is doubled in the post and he makes the correct pass out of it, the defense makes the correct rotation to the guy who receives the pass and that guy takes advantage of the rotation and finds the wide open guy for the clean look. Embiid starts that play. Embiid creates that open look because of the double he draws and yet statistically that’s a nothing. That’s why I bothers me when people lean exclusively on stats to judge a player.
Unless the stat favors Embiid.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don’t watch the Sixers much do you. It’s ok. (1)But it’s clear that you don’t see them much. It’s been a big point of emphasis for him and it began last season and it’s even better this season. (2)He has cut down on his turnovers out of doubles and he’s started to make teams pay passing out of double teams.

1. I've watched 6 or 8 of their games. But only when Embiid's playing. So yeah haven't seen many games.

2. That's always a good thing. Does he at times try to get too flashy? Only asking because last season he averaged 3.1 TO's and this season it's slightly up, 3.7. But I noticed he's also taking about a 1.5 shots more per game than last season.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely not. I have already acknowledged multiple times, not just today, that Embiid is the better defender. It would be crazy to say otherwise.

But I think NJ's all around offensive game is better than Embiid's. What gives Jokic the edge is his next-level court vision. He sees things a like a PG on the floor.

Embiid will always have the edge on the defensive end.
And I’ve long argued that the gap between Jokic and Embiid offensively isn’t as vast as the difference defensively. There are very few defenses in the league that are focused so heavily on the presence of a single guy. Guys that come to mind are Giannis (Bucks use him on the worst scoring threat so that he can roam all over and help all over the court). Gobert and Embiid are 5s that have everything filtered to them in the lane. Where Embiid is better than Gobert is his ability to switch on the perimeter and be able to stay with guards. Bam is another guy. Smart is an exceptional defensive player because of his on the ball defense like Ben Simmons but neither guy is the fulcrum of the scheme they play, they’re just an elite cog in their team’s defensive scheme.

You can say Joker has improved defensively. Ok. That gets him to almost average or adequate. Embiid is an All Star caliber defender in addition to being an All Star caliber offensive player. I’ll take the two way player all day everyday.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yes, I thought we already established that in the seeding system that utilities the widely recognized base ten method of counting that <checks notes> a 4 seed is indeed better than a 6 seed. Were the Sixers actually healthier or is it that Embiid played through a broken orbital, Harden played through a wonky hamstring while Murray and Porter refused to go?
The 76ers were healthier.

I thought it was priceless when you tried to use when Maxey was picked as some sort of negative for him as a teammate, but this one tops it. You are holding against Jokic because his teammates couldn't go, but Embiid better because his would brave it? And Murray "refused to go"? Didn't he tear an ACL?

Yep....ya gotta love this forum.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I’ve long argued that the gap between Jokic and Embiid offensively isn’t as vast as the difference defensively. There are very few defenses in the league that are focused so heavily on the presence of a single guy. Guys that come to mind are Giannis (Bucks use him on the worst scoring threat so that he can roam all over and help all over the court). Gobert and Embiid are 5s that have everything filtered to them in the lane. Where Embiid is better than Gobert is his ability to switch on the perimeter and be able to stay with guards. Bam is another guy. Smart is an exceptional defensive player because of his on the ball defense like Ben Simmons but neither guy is the fulcrum of the scheme they play, they’re just an elite cog in their team’s defensive scheme.

You can say Joker has improved defensively. Ok. That gets him to almost average or adequate. Embiid is an All Star caliber defender in addition to being an All Star caliber offensive player. I’ll take the two way player all day everyday.

I fully understand why you'd take Embiid.

Truthfully you can't go wrong with either.

Both are dominant. But in such completely different ways.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I've watched 6 or 8 of their games. But only when Embiid's playing. So yeah haven't seen many games.

2. That's always a good thing. Does he at times try to get too flashy? Only asking because last season he averaged 3.1 TO's and this season it's slightly up, 3.7. But I noticed he's also taking about a 1.5 shots more per game than last season.
When Harden was out, they ran the offense completely through Joel. His touches and usage rate were through the roof especially because for a good deal of the time Harden was out, Maxey was also out.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone set up a one on one game between them, I’ll cover all bets.

I know you are joking, but I always think it is funny when people use 1 on 1 to prove who the better player is.

I suspect Embiid would have the edge in 1 on 1.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone set up a one on one game between them, I’ll cover all bets.
That’s advantage Embiid. Joker is going to have to defend. He can’t hide. Additionally, one on one he has no one to pass to negating his best attribute as a player.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s advantage Embiid. Joker is going to have to defend. He can’t hide. Additionally, one on one he has no one to pass to negating his best attribute as a player.
Damn you......now the odds will be made to reflect this.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 76ers were healthier.

I thought it was priceless when you tried to use when Maxey was picked as some sort of negative for him as a teammate, but this one tops it. You are holding against Jokic because his teammates couldn't go, but Embiid better because his would brave it? And Murray "refused to go"? Didn't he tear an ACL?

Yep....ya gotta love this forum.
Go read articles out of Denver from May. I have. Go see what the Denver beat reporters were saying about both of those guys who were out on the floor each day working out for weeks before the playoffs.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go read articles out of Denver from May. I have. Go see what the Denver beat reporters were saying about both of those guys who were out on the floor each day working out for weeks before the playoffs.
If you care to support your own point please feel free......though I'm never one to decide how ready/healthy someone else is and neither should a reporter.

But either way, so what? They didn't go and Jokic had to play without him and Harden and Maxey did play and Embiid received the benefit. If you'd like to discuss Murray possibly dogging it that's another conversation.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you care to support your own point please feel free......though I'm never one to decide how ready/healthy someone else is and neither should a reporter.

But either way, so what? They didn't go and Jokic had to play without him and Harden and Maxey did play and Embiid received the benefit. If you'd like to discuss Murray possibly dogging it that's another conversation.
You mean the guys close to the team? The guys who heard rumors for weeks that these guys would be back for playoffs and reported that?