• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Off Season

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let the board die. It should be an eventful offseason. Plus I'll be posting random photoshopped images so post your ideas

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for blake to do something besides collect picks. Team has 0 direction.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theoretically they have cap space for signing UFAs and prospects for trading. Some teams have neither, some teams have one or the other, very few have both.
kings need to do something, can’t sell tickets if there is no hope.
. I don’t think Eichel is likely (maybe the Ducks to replace Getzlaf)
There are some 2nd line forwards and 2nd pairing Defense men as UFAs but big names will look for big money with Seattle driving up prices

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright I'm putting this here because it applies more to this thread than the Draft thread.

While I think the Kings overpaid for Danault I do like the signing because the kings got a legit NHL center that can shut down other teams best players. I know everyone wanted a 40-50 goal scorer but Eichel wasn't really an option. His injury status and the Sabers reluctance to disclose the information is going to make it hard for him to be moved. Also I'm not convinced he's going to be a 40 goal scorer any time soon again. If at all.

Danault gives the kings something they haven't had since Stoll and Richards left. A legit 2 way forward that can give Kopitar a break on the PK giving him more energy to go to work on offence. Kopitar won't be relied on to shut down the other teams best players on a nightly basis anymore.

Adding Arvidsson should also help with adding more scoring. This coupled with the fact that Kopitar isn't having to log heavy minutes trying to shut down the other teams top players and the offence should improve. Specials teams should improve. I realize there are a lot of could/should in these statements but then again nothing is certain.

I know Alex Edler isn't the sexy big name LHD everyone wanted but he's an upgrade IMO to Maataa and slots the current D corps much better now.

As I mentioned in another thread that the Danault pick up also gives the Kings an opportunity, should they choose, to give Byfield another season or partial season in the AHL (he doesn't have to report back to the OHL if he's not playing in the NHL.) This applies to Turcotte, Vilardi, Kupari, and Tyler Madden as well. Neither would need to be rushed and will now have 2 legit two way centers to learn from.

None of the signings this offseason are going to make the team a cup contender now but they are building blocks that will help guide the youth and still be around when the team is ready to take the next step. Fight to make the playoffs this season, get that experience now and in the next 24 months you will have built the culture to win the in they playoffs. I think the moves were good not great but the market had a lot to do with it also.

I give Blake a B for now in the offseason. Could be upgraded to a A- if they indeed make the playoffs this season. Lots of offseason to go still also so a lot may still get done. Good start tho.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great points, I just think all that cap space should have been spent on another winger over a center. The Kings are loaded at center, way too many in fact.

There is a huge hole at 2C since Carter left, Kempe sucks there, Legend is slow and IMO doesn't have the speed necessary to be a 2C, and guys like Kupari, Turcotte, etc. aren't ready for a role like that. I just feel a trade would have been the better way to go to not only clear space in the pipeline but also nab a guy maybe younger than Danault (28).

With Edler, at least it's only a 1 year deal, not over the top dollat wise and addresses the LD position. At the very least maybe we see Maata gone, he was a mess last season or he drops down to 3D which is where he truly belongs. Edler plays with an edge too, which has been missing for a lot of years on the back end minus Doughty overall.

I just think for all that cap space LA had, it wasn't well spent. At least Brown and Carter come off the books next season, Quick in two. They'll have some more space to work with the next 2-3 years (Kopitar too will be coming off leaving only Danaultans Doughty as bigger dollar deals) so they'll be better positioned to take on what I think will become a bad contract in Danault. If the kids pan out, they will be getting raises too at that time.

The Kings simply have too many prospects and they should have been moved so the pipeline could be managed better.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of same as xis. Been diving in on various sources. "The Hockey Guy" on Youtube is pretty good, even though it looks like the most mom and pop operation. He claims he watches at least part of every single game during the season, so that is literally all he does. Sort of what he prides himself on. Anyway, he likes Vilardi, and thinks he has a good "200 foot game", but should not be at Center. He thinks the Danault signing moves Vilardi to wing where he belongs, and he predicts you'll see much more out of him going forward.

I saw Danault quotes saying Robitaille greeted him and sold him on LA in French and Danualt was all about it. He said LA was the only team that really understood his value and he couldn't wait to come in. Claims Blake laid out the plan for incorporating the youth and taking that next step with Danault slotted behind Kopitar.

I know we have to score, and I think Arvidsson was part of addressing that, but the signings were a first good step I think. Saw a lot of money thrown around last week so we'll see how Danault contract holds up later.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think danault will be fine, just a little more than i would have liked .....so what at this point.....edler, mehdont feel one way or another about him but at leasthe does what most of the other d (besides doughboy) doesnt do, so thats a good step.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not really serious here

Maybe the kings are planning a 1-3-1 offense.
There is a hockey system that uses the 1-3-1 in all zones. 1 forward (center) , two wings, 1 (middle) center and 1 defender. It depends a lot on clearing passes in the d zone for high risk offense creating mistakes and miss matches. You need the middle center to be strong on defense.
I doubt any coach in the NHL would run it as the main system but when I look at the number of centers on this team and the lack of defenders I thought it would be funny.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think danault will be fine, just a little more than i would have liked .....so what at this point.....edler, mehdont feel one way or another about him but at leasthe does what most of the other d (besides doughboy) doesnt do, so thats a good step.

Thing is.... Almost everyone overpaid for what they got somehow. Not sure if it was the teams with the open cap space driving up the prices or if all the GM's are just simply retarted.

Dougie Hamilton just got $9mil for 7 years to play for his 4 team in 7 years. Good player no doubt, but is he worth 7 million a year?

Ryan Suter got a 4 year deal with Dallas $3.65 million AAV. Again he's a great player and has been a good leader but 36 year old on a 4 year deal?

Wait till the Kraken find out Philipp Grubauer isn't worth 5.9 million for six years. I think he was sheltered in Colorado and will be exposed now.

I can go on but you get the point.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I definitely get that. my thought is just because people are overpaying for players does not mean you need to. I was hoping more of something via trade if a good contract could not be found.....

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like him as a player. But the kings will not be playing the same shitty teams over and over again like last season. They will be facing better teams than last year so I expect production of some players we saw last year to be worse. I hope the legend.... Can't play..... Euthanasia.....brown..... Can put up some points With arvidson.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not having Colorado, Vegas and Mini for nearly 50% of the teams you play will not be bad. The "experts" have Calgary and Vancouver over the Kings in the division. I don't agree. I think they can battle for the 3rd spot in the division as long as they can avoid major slumps. No more excuse to go on 0-5 runs. There's going to be a lot of short leaches this year. If you're not producing one way or another you're not staying in the lineup.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what Ray Ferraro said referring to Danault. A coach once told him that a certain guy (forgot his name) was a 50 goal scorer. What he meant is that he only scores 15 goals but prevents about 35. I know he isnt the sexy pickup but the more I am reading, the more I am liking him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ken Hitchcock told that to Mike Madano when he went to Dallas. He said you can be a 50 goal scorer who never wins, or you can kill penalties and use your talent on the other end. Be a 30 goal scorer with a championship.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is Danault will score 30 goals over the next 4 years.

=)~~

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Results based off WAR statistic (wins over replacement) by player
I predict many beers consumed by kings fans

Attachments

• 7A237866-B896-4601-B527-BCA359A76B8B.jpeg
    7A237866-B896-4601-B527-BCA359A76B8B.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 10

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Results based off WAR statistic (wins over replacement) by player
I predict many beers consumed by kings fans
Yikes.

Obviously we don't know what else Blake has planned up his sleeve, but with the current roster (even adding say one of the prospects or something) I think this will be a late 10s/early teens draft pick yet again.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes.

Obviously we don't know what else Blake has planned up his sleeve, but with the current roster (even adding say one of the prospects or something) I think this will be a late 10s/early teens draft pick yet again.
That’s sad to think about. Knowing that this team will be near or in the lottery yet again.