• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NFL Draft Discussion thread

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also if New England trades up for a QB and hits on it that would suck so much.
One bad season and they go all out in FA and the draft .

FOMO is real

atleast russell and Elway are not calling the shots.
Paton’s time to shine . The dude seems to be very well connected and should read the environment correctly

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yall know our leading receiver, Tim Patrick had 0 drops on 74 targets last year?
Let’s give him a standing ovation. OC has had like 3 this month.
Patrick was not our leading WR.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herbert is just getting started. I agree he isn’t Mahomes (nobody is) but he definitely looks special from our first sample of him as a professional.
I am waiting to see what he does this year before calling him great. RGIII looked like a franchise QB his first year, but not great after that. Herbert does appear to be on the path to a successful career.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am waiting to see what he does this year before calling him great. RGIII looked like a franchise QB his first year, but not great after that. Herbert does appear to be on the path to a successful career.

Well I’d say the injury RG3 suffered was the main cause of his decline.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked at a Mock draft that had us trade 9 to Philadelphia for 12, 84, and a 2022 3rd. Here are what the mock had use taking:
12 - Najee Harris - RB - Alabama
40 - Zabel Collins - LB - Tulsa
71 - Nick Bolton - LB - Missouri
84 - Patrick Jones - EDGE - Pittsburgh

Not thrilled with a RB in the first round, and back to back LB seems odd to me.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t think anybody would argue with your statement here. But you can’t deny he is trending in the right direction.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did a lot of work with Manning last offseason as well. Don't get me wrong this news is good to hear and if nothing else shows Lock is trying to make good decisions. Sometimes though a guy can make all the right decisions and still fail in the NFL. I don't think this news changes what the Broncos do in the draft.
More importantly Carl - is the support Lock has from his teammates - in particular Risner in this case. As Risner points out - moving to a rookie QB requires some patience in terms of 1 or 2 seasons of learning - such his Risner's example Mahomes and Josh Allen's two years before the Bills started to win.

If the Broncos are going to a rookie QB - why sign Karem Jackson - or Von Miller for that matter? Hoping you can draft the 4th best QB of this year's college crop and hope that guy will lead the Broncos to the playoffs in his first year - is a loser's bet and the players know it. Manning wasn't the point of this link - except to show Lock's earnestness in getting better and Manning's believe in Lock.

You had it correct in your latest podcast when you said - in your heart you want a new QB, but your head is less convinced it will go that way.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think anybody would argue with your statement here. But you can’t deny he is trending in the right direction.
I did mention he is pointed in the right direction.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More importantly Carl - is the support Lock has from his teammates - in particular Risner in this case. As Risner points out - moving to a rookie QB requires some patience in terms of 1 or 2 seasons of learning - such his Risner's example Mahomes and Josh Allen's two years before the Bills started to win.

If the Broncos are going to a rookie QB - why sign Karem Jackson - or Von Miller for that matter? Hoping you can draft the 4th best QB of this year's college crop and hope that guy will lead the Broncos to the playoffs in his first year - is a loser's bet and the players know it. Manning wasn't the point of this link - except to show Lock's earnestness in getting better and Manning's believe in Lock.

You had it correct in your latest podcast when you said - in your heart you want a new QB, but your head is less convinced it will go that way.

Few things here...

1) Do you actually see the team winning and standing a chance at the Super Bowl with Lock at the helm? I don't. I see them in that 7 to 9 win range with him. Maybe squeaking into the playoffs at best but that is about it.

2) Manning also spoke highly of Siemian and thinking he could be the future of the Broncos. I really don't care what players say because of course they are going to defend teammates. If they didn't honestly that would be the bigger story.

3) You sign those guys because you like what they bring to the locker room and because it isn't just about the rookie QB but understanding coaches are fighting for their jobs as well as players so want to bring back the best chance to see them successful.

4) Plenty of rookie QB's have been on successful teams. RG3 helped lead his team to the playoffs. Now given ended up suffering an injury and was never the same, but to me that is the type of player you are getting in Fields. Russell Wilson went 11-5 as a rookie. Lamar Jackson took a losing team before he jumped in and helped lead them to the playoffs. All of those guys except maybe RG3 had one thing in common of having a solid cast of players around them to make it where they didn't have to do everything. So right now I would say the Broncos have done a good job of setting up a rookie to not have to carry the team week in and week out.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is one thing I have noticed as a huge plus with Lock. Teammates do like and believe in him. Definitely doesn’t mean he is going to be great but at least it shows they like and respect him. Something I don’t feel we have had at QB since Manning retired outside maybe Case Keenum who was very much a stop gap.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few things here...

1) Do you actually see the team winning and standing a chance at the Super Bowl with Lock at the helm? I don't. I see them in that 7 to 9 win range with him. Maybe squeaking into the playoffs at best but that is about it.

2) Manning also spoke highly of Siemian and thinking he could be the future of the Broncos. I really don't care what players say because of course they are going to defend teammates. If they didn't honestly that would be the bigger story.

3) You sign those guys because you like what they bring to the locker room and because it isn't just about the rookie QB but understanding coaches are fighting for their jobs as well as players so want to bring back the best chance to see them successful.

4) Plenty of rookie QB's have been on successful teams. RG3 helped lead his team to the playoffs. Now given ended up suffering an injury and was never the same, but to me that is the type of player you are getting in Fields. Russell Wilson went 11-5 as a rookie. Lamar Jackson took a losing team before he jumped in and helped lead them to the playoffs. All of those guys except maybe RG3 had one thing in common of having a solid cast of players around them to make it where they didn't have to do everything. So right now I would say the Broncos have done a good job of setting up a rookie to not have to carry the team week in and week out.
Your feelings about Lock show up in your win predictions in your first point. Yes - I can see Lock leading a team to more than 9 wins - and more importantly so can his teammates.

Your point on Manning is a false equivalency as Manning did not spend time in the film room with Siemian - as he is with Lock and Manning isn't making comments about Lock - he is just working with him. Why would Manning waste his time with a loser -when he can make commercials instead?

Your 3rd point - works for Lock too - since as I have pointed out Lock's teammates support him - and that certainly speaks to his locker room presence.

RGIII had a fluke year. Russell Wilson - was a later than 1st round pick. Lamar Jackson is the exception, but this past season it looked like the league caught up with his skills.

Lock has had two different OCs - a pandemic season - rookie receivers (dropped passes) - two QB coaches - the loss of his likely All pro receiver - and two injuries in two seasons - along with multiple injuries to the rest of the Broncos - the sampling on his ability is certainly incomplete.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note: Lamar definitely was not healthy last year. His knee really held him back. Will be interesting to see how he does next year and not that Lamar was bad last year nor did you say he was. Just random thoughts here.

carry on!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note: Lamar definitely was not healthy last year. His knee really held him back. Will be interesting to see how he does next year and not that Lamar was bad last year nor did you say he was. Just random thoughts here.

carry on!
Well - that's the other reason not to mortgage a teams resources for college QB - they good get injured and then you have nothing - or a wasted year. It's hardly a good sign for Lamar Jackson to have a knee problem with his skill set.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your feelings about Lock show up in your win predictions in your first point. Yes - I can see Lock leading a team to more than 9 wins - and more importantly so can his teammates.

Your point on Manning is a false equivalency as Manning did not spend time in the film room with Siemian - as he is with Lock and Manning isn't making comments about Lock - he is just working with him. Why would Manning waste his time with a loser -when he can make commercials instead?

Your 3rd point - works for Lock too - since as I have pointed out Lock's teammates support him - and that certainly speaks to his locker room presence.

RGIII had a fluke year. Russell Wilson - was a later than 1st round pick. Lamar Jackson is the exception, but this past season it looked like the league caught up with his skills.

Lock has had two different OCs - a pandemic season - rookie receivers (dropped passes) - two QB coaches - the loss of his likely All pro receiver - and two injuries in two seasons - along with multiple injuries to the rest of the Broncos - the sampling on his ability is certainly incomplete.

All good points. Obviously our evaluation of Lock and what he can become is different which is a driving force in this discussion. Throw in our different evaluation of the QB class this year.

If the Broncos miss out on the QB's this year I'm not going to be too upset. I will be hoping that Lock gets things figured out and maybe just maybe turns into something special. I would love nothing more than to be wrong about Lock.