• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruh. How do you lose and not qualify for an event you created? Somebody get Ice Cube to send out his guys next time :L

Robbie Hummel, heard of him. Dominique Jones, Kareem Maddox and Joey King- who? That was the best team that could be put together? Damn.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No wonder they didn’t make it.

Cant get 4 NBA guys from non-playoff teams?

That's what I was thinking. I remember Robbie Hummel at Purdue, blew his knee out. The others. I couldn't even guess where they played CBB.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have you guys seen how rich Gilbert is now that Quicken went public? Hes like 40 billion rich. Like outside of Ballmer he is probably the richest owner in the entire NBA. Kinda crazy.

its funny that as much as we talk about how a guy like LeBron has amassed so much wealth- he isnt a drop in the bucket compared to a guy like Ballmer or Gilbert.

He needs to buy the Tigers

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool...some current members with names say it's not.

All seriousness some of the things these nameless people complain about is comical. Former and current players actually complained because the Cavaliers paid Drummond nearly his entire salary and let him choose where he played? Oh, the horror.

Not nameless, but many gave them shit because they traded KPJ when any team could have had him for an unprotected 2nd rounder....but none would even offer that much.

To be fair, if they're not anonymous, are they going to be as critical vocally? Not if they want to keep their jobs (or for players to keep the remainder of the contract peaceful)...

Those two wouldn't be where I would critique. Trading for Drummond in the first place was odd, but it didn't cost them much. Love is an albatross at this point, but that's beating a dead horse. It's not like they haven't drafted well either. Maybe a trade of one of the guards (Sexton most likely) can help balance the roster a little more, but the lack of improvement record-wise is the real concern. Are they still in tank mode, or are there deeper issues?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...that's what it means when I said they had a top 3 pick, passed on Doncic and traded the pick for the 5th pick/Young.

To be exact, the Hawks got the pick that became Cam Reddish too, for whatever that's been worth so far...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, if they're not anonymous, are they going to be as critical vocally? Not if they want to keep their jobs (or for players to keep the remainder of the contract peaceful)...

Those two wouldn't be where I would critique. Trading for Drummond in the first place was odd, but it didn't cost them much. Love is an albatross at this point, but that's beating a dead horse. It's not like they haven't drafted well either. Maybe a trade of one of the guards (Sexton most likely) can help balance the roster a little more, but the lack of improvement record-wise is the real concern. Are they still in tank mode, or are there deeper issues?
Some were former players.....they would lose their jobs by being critical of another team they never played for? I mean, the guys on TNT are mostly former players. Do they hold back on air?

Idea the cavs should be so much further ahead than where they are is just absurd, especially considering where they drafted. Look at all the love the Suns are getting (and it's deserved). They are in year 7 of their rebuild. In year 3? They went 21-61. How about 4..must have improved, right? Nope. 19-63. They've also had a #1 pick to aid them.

a lot of talk about moving Sexton and I'm certainly not opposed since he's not an untouchable type. But shouldn't the Cavs be looking for a player who can go for 24+ ppg, shoot 47-48% and 37-38% from 3 while adding 4+ apg instead of dealing that player?

way I see it is really the only way the Cavs become relevant again might be hitting in the next draft. And why not add him to the current core of Sexton, Garland, Okoro, Allen (all 20-23) and Nance? Say what ya will about Gilbert but he has an obscene will to win and wants to show he can win without Lebron. If they can play I could see him paying them all to stay. and not like a FA is coming here if we free up money.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be exact, the Hawks got the pick that became Cam Reddish too, for whatever that's been worth so far...
Yep...knew they got another pick. Didn't feel like checking. Sure Reddish was the guy from the Dallas pick?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some were former players.....they would lose their jobs by being critical of another team they never played for? I mean, the guys on TNT are mostly former players. Do they hold back on air?

To be fair, the guys on TNT are kind of an anomaly. Most former players don't want to criticize other players. The TNT guys doing it has caused issues with players a time or 2 in the past. At this point though, that show has gotten so big, they're pretty much immune and can say what they want (although, that likely wouldn't stop Sir Charles anyway lol).

Dan Patrick talks about this from time to time and says that when former players ask his advice about getting into broadcasting, he tells them that they need to be able to criticize players and understand that some guys that they know or might even be friends with may take exception.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, the guys on TNT are kind of an anomaly. Most former players don't want to criticize other players. The TNT guys doing it has caused issues with players a time or 2 in the past. At this point though, that show has gotten so big, they're pretty much immune and can say what they want (although, that likely wouldn't stop Sir Charles anyway lol).

Dan Patrick talks about this from time to time and says that when former players ask his advice about getting into broadcasting, he tells them that they need to be able to criticize players and understand that some guys that they know or might even be friends with may take exception.
This is all true.....but as you seem to agree, why would anyone (especially a player or former player) accuse the Cavs of anything other than doing right by Drummond?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all true.....but as you seem to agree, why would anyone (especially a player or former player) accuse the Cavs of anything other than doing right by Drummond?

It's usually kind of an insult for a team to want to buy a player out. Essentially, it's the team saying "You suck so bad, we're willing to pay you to go away and we want to pay you a lot less than the value of your contract to do so". The Lakers tried to do that with Luol Deng a few times. He rightly told them to kick rocks.

So, the only reason I can think of is that they didn't really look at the whole situation, how much the Cavs actually paid him or that they cleared the way for him to go to a contender. They just reacted.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,706.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robbie Hummel, heard of him. Dominique Jones, Kareem Maddox and Joey King- who? That was the best team that could be put together? Damn.
Hummel is an announcer now.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trae is good but imagine if they had taken Doncic instead? Game changer.

No doubt about that. Both are damn good. But Luka has that something extra. I think he's the better all around player.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's usually kind of an insult for a team to want to buy a player out. Essentially, it's the team saying "You suck so bad, we're willing to pay you to go away and we want to pay you a lot less than the value of your contract to do so". The Lakers tried to do that with Luol Deng a few times. He rightly told them to kick rocks.

So, the only reason I can think of is that they didn't really look at the whole situation, how much the Cavs actually paid him or that they cleared the way for him to go to a contender. They just reacted.
seems reasonable, I guess.

I guess the answer to the player is don't suck/regress and live up to your deal?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems reasonable, I guess.

I guess the answer to the player is don't suck/regress and live up to your deal?

In some instances. In others, it's on the team. Don't sign someone who is clearly in decline or whose skills no longer fit the league like they once did to a big contract.

For example, the Lakers have no one but Short Buss to blame for Deng's contract.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In some instances. In others, it's on the team. Don't sign someone who is clearly in decline or whose skills no longer fit the league like they once did to a big contract.

For example, the Lakers have no one but Short Buss to blame for Deng's contract.
I mean, the Cavs were willing to take the risk as it was low risk, high reward. I have no problem with it. Deng a little different as he was 31 and clearly declining and given a longterm deal, right? Drummond still kind of young and just 1 season left on his deal....but get what you are saying.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, the Cavs were willing to take the risk as it was low risk, high reward. I have no problem with it. Deng a little different as he was 31 and clearly declining and given a longterm deal, right? Drummond still kind of young and just 1 season left on his deal....but get what you are saying.

Oh yeah, no doubt. There was really no reason for them not to bring him in. They had the money and as you point out, only 1 year left on his deal and he's only 27.

Give him some time to see if he can help them get to the playoffs. If he could...great. If not, it's easy to move on and not have him hurt next years cap.

That's why I think folks just overreacted to the word buyout. Once the Cavs saw that the playoffs weren't happening, they could have just benched him for the rest of the season. Instead, they gave him a chance to find a better opportunity for himself.