• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, to me, that's the issue of a mid-season tournament. What reward can you give a team that doesn't diminish the end of season playoffs and championship, but will still be important enough that contending teams won't want to load manage their stars during it?

Soccer is the only real blueprint we have and it definitely seems those clubs value those cups quite a bit. It does create a bit of confusion...like it's obvious a Champs league is the peak but would Man U prefer a Europa title to winning the Premier league? Probably not. How about the FA cup or the Europa?

Anyway I'm probably speaking Greek to some of you but I do like the format there even though the nba cannot replicate it as you have no league on par with them.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, to me, that's the issue of a mid-season tournament. What reward can you give a team that doesn't diminish the end of season playoffs and championship, but will still be important enough that contending teams won't want to load manage their stars during it?
To me if you want to do something like that you could have a first half champion by record. Anything to incentivize effort in the regular season to me is a good thing.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soccer has a major trophy for winning the season, a separate trophy for winning the league tournament (English FA cup, Spanish Copa del Rey, etc.), and finally, various international trophies for the best teams (Champions League, Europa, etc.). And they have the Olympics and World Cup every other year in the off season. Plus, relegation if your team cannot cut it, which winds up being a really nifty way of eliminating cheap owners/inefficient teams. If any mid-tier team were to win one of the trophies, it's a major accomplishment and brings in $$$$.

In the US, the regular season means something, but not everything.
There's only one championship to root for.
Other than that, the owners will do whatever they have to in order to make more $$$$.
There's no threat of relegation, so poor teams are incentivized to 'tank' in an effort to improve their team.

Lots of ways to fix that, but if it costs the owners $$$$, it will never happen.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me if you want to do something like that you could have a first half champion by record. Anything to incentivize effort in the regular season to me is a good thing.

Didn't MLB do something like that during one of it's strike shortened seasons?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soccer is the only real blueprint we have and it definitely seems those clubs value those cups quite a bit. It does create a bit of confusion...like it's obvious a Champs league is the peak but would Man U prefer a Europa title to winning the Premier league? Probably not. How about the FA cup or the Europa?

Anyway I'm probably speaking Greek to some of you but I do like the format there even though the nba cannot replicate it as you have no league on par with them.
Winning the Europa League gets you an auto bid to play in the Champions League the next season.

Champions League brings major $$$$, so yeah, the international games are of higher importance because they mean more revenue and the chance to bring in better players looking to play in that spotlight.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, just looked it up, it was 1981. Seems like the first half winner wouldn't be too worried about the 2nd half of the season.

Back then definitely. With the wild card play in it would be less valuable

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Winner of the cup tourney gets the best lottery odds. Like 20%.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep im with you here. To me this would work more in the NHL

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Literally just came across this on the nerd site :

cwick: Which would a team rather have, the FA Cup or a season of Champions League play?

grace: At the risk of upsetting traditionalists, within the club it surely has to be Champions League.

tchow: If it’s about the money, there’s no question.

cwick: And I’m sure Champions League helps with recruitment, too.

grace: If the fans would rather see their team win a trophy, that’s totally reasonable, but internally it has to be the money.

ryan: Thomas Tuchel even said Chelsea’s priority was top four, not the FA Cup.

cwick: As I am on record saying, trophies are overrated. More games = more narrative = more fun for fans.

tchow: I still think the FA Cup means something pretty special for fans (says the Arsenal fan).

ryan: I think Arsenal is a pretty good example of how a cup can make a club think it’s better than it actually is, but I don’t see that happening to Leicester.

grace: It’s not as though Leicester’s business model relies on top four every year. It can just keep running the same plan again and again.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Literally just came across this on the nerd site :

cwick: Which would a team rather have, the FA Cup or a season of Champions League play?

grace: At the risk of upsetting traditionalists, within the club it surely has to be Champions League.

tchow: If it’s about the money, there’s no question.

cwick: And I’m sure Champions League helps with recruitment, too.

grace: If the fans would rather see their team win a trophy, that’s totally reasonable, but internally it has to be the money.

ryan: Thomas Tuchel even said Chelsea’s priority was top four, not the FA Cup.

cwick: As I am on record saying, trophies are overrated. More games = more narrative = more fun for fans.

tchow: I still think the FA Cup means something pretty special for fans (says the Arsenal fan).

ryan: I think Arsenal is a pretty good example of how a cup can make a club think it’s better than it actually is, but I don’t see that happening to Leicester.

grace: It’s not as though Leicester’s business model relies on top four every year. It can just keep running the same plan again and again.

Yea. It does create an interesting dilemma as to priorities. And then you have Europa which is Champs league lite and Man U with a shot at winning that. Then what if they upset the Champs league winner? Would that be more important than a Premier title even?

Lol I'm going too far with this

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed this from a few days ago but this is a cool thread about the Raptors SuperFan that got inducted into the Hall of Fame

Reactions: DJ

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t see how.

The teams that would be in contention for the tournament would be mostly the same teams in contention for top playoff seeds.

Unless you are rewarding players with large cash bonuses, I can’t think of anything else that would motivate them to perform without cheapening the regular season.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First round bye would be pretty juicy