• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because they are only in year 3 of a rebuild that started with losing arguably the best player ever and well over the cap (still over cap)?

I mean, LA - a FA destination - took 7 years just to make the playoffs in their rebuild. IF they go this year, NY took 8. Your own team was playoffless for 6 seasons. 4 of them were 198, 18, 10 then a huge leap....to 28 wins. Also got 2 #1 picks to finally help them get out. Cavs got two #5 picks with a bottom 2 record. So there's that, too.

where should they be halfway into year 3?

I was responding to Wiggy's assessment of the current team.

The Sixers only had 1 No. 1 pick. And Cavs fans complaining about bad luck with the ping pong balls is.... amusing.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's all we need.....a guy who can grab offensive rebounds and somebody we can throw lobs into the post.

Gasol on the perimeter isn't working and he's toast. Drummond is 27 and in his prime. He also provides a rim protector on defense.
Do you at least wonder why no one has been willing to give up an asset that matters for him the last 2 seasons?

No one has said he doesn't have some talent nor that LA shouldn't have at least brought him in.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also made close to 30 million. Kind of hard to match contracts. And he is their new starter at C. WAY BETTER than Gasol.
Lakers opponents must love this. He clogs the lane making it easier for the defense ro pack it in. Give most opponents the choice and they’d love to see LeBron and AD become mostly jump shooters because the lane is packed and it’s harder for them to get to the rim.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a die-hard sports fan who knows his stuff....not a casual fan who lets his hatred of a rival effect rational thinking when making his picks.

You called me a "casual fan". Now that's funny. Sorry sport, but it's pathetic to root for your rival.

You think Carolina fans root for dook?

You think Bama fans root for Auburn?

You think Michigan State fans root for meeeechegan?

And it'll be a cold day in hell before an Ohio State fan roots for meeeechegan.

If you answered yes to any of those questions then you don't understand sports as well as you think. Now picking them to advance in the Tourney is different. But you didn't say that. All said was you liked that USC advanced.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has 3 20-20 games this season, tied for 1st in the League.
K and as one scout said (I'll try to find the quote) he's the type who can put up a 20-20 and do little to help his team win.

Love had a number of 20-20 games and can shoot and is a willing passer. Not sure I can recall you making such positive comments about him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look who he was playing with.

We need his scoring and rebounding right now with James and AD out.
Haha...right, because "look who he is playing with". at least for now.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also made close to 30 million. Kind of hard to match contracts. And he is their new starter at C. WAY BETTER than Gasol.
OK...but some good players make that amount (often a lot more) and get moved for valuable assets. Not Drummond.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was responding to Wiggy's assessment of the current team.

The Sixers only had 1 No. 1 pick. And Cavs fans complaining about bad luck with the ping pong balls is.... amusing.
My bad.....Embiid not #1.

who is complaining about the bad luck? You asked why. Never mind teams who are FA destinations - NY, LA and Philly (not on NY/LA level but moreso than Cleveland) - took 8 (maybe), 7 and 6 years to get back to playoffs. Cavs are in year 3. And those teams had many picks that were higher than 5th.

And if the lottery gods aren't smiling on us yet I get it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
def.....

and i mean- Garland and Sexton were like 19-20 years old when drafted. It always takes more time on the defensive end and for guys to develop physically.

the coach is a lot better in Bickerstaff. Okoro has been defending the opposing teams best perimeter player and while he has had nights where he has gotten scorched hes also hung in there and fought and had some good games defensively. At his age thats all you want to see.

they need a talented wing to try and bring the roster together. Kuminga or Suggs would be excellent.
And I hear some of our fans complain about Okoro's offense. No doubt it needs improvement, but with the work ethic we hear he has not something that cannot happen...maybe even in a big way.

Not sure fans realize there are some elite players who were even a couple years older than Okoro who didn't do much as rookies. And they had Summer League and a traditional offseason leading up to the season with practices, etc.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad.....Embiid not #1.

who is complaining about the bad luck? You asked why. Never mind teams who are FA destinations - NY, LA and Philly (not on NY/LA level but moreso than Cleveland) - took 8 (maybe), 7 and 6 years to get back to playoffs. Cavs are in year 3. And those teams had many picks that were higher than 5th.

And if the lottery gods aren't smiling on us yet I get it.
Philly isn’t an NBA FA destination city. It’s been nearly impossible to get a FA to consider Philly.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, Gasol finally hit the wall this year it looks like and Harrell is just not equipped to play center. Drummond should help in that regard.

Yeah, I'm hoping that we will get a "Playoff Gasol" like we got "Playoff Rondo" last year. But I'm a little worried that "Playoff Gasol" might end up being more like "Playoff P". lol

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you at least wonder why no one has been willing to give up an asset that matters for him the last 2 seasons?

No one has said he doesn't have some talent nor that LA shouldn't have at least brought him in.

I think it was mainly his contract. 10 years ago, he was an all star caliber player and worth what he was making. In today's game...he just wasn't worth that kind of money.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...but some good players make that amount (often a lot more) and get moved for valuable assets. Not Drummond.

He's an outdated player; I was shocked the Cavs traded for him last season. I thought the Pistons were stuck with him.

However, the Lakers did very well last year with similar old school centers in McGee and Howard. Regardless of how much Drummond made previously, he's miles better than those two at this point in their careers and only costs the Lakers the prorated vet min. Do I expect him to be a Laker next season? Doubtful, as he will want more money than the Lakers can afford (or should be willing to pay), so they'll go looking for the next bargain veteran.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm hoping that we will get a "Playoff Gasol" like we got "Playoff Rondo" last year. But I'm a little worried that "Playoff Gasol" might end up being more like "Playoff P". lol

I'm fine with Gasol now that the Lakers have a younger, physical alternative on the roster. He's still useful defensively when his agility isn't challenged, is a solid passer and hits the occasional three.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly isn’t an NBA FA destination city. It’s been nearly impossible to get a FA to consider Philly.

They got Dwight when he panicked, thinking he should be a first day priority in free agency. That should improve with Doc and Morey running things.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got Dwight when he panicked, thinking he should be a first day priority in free agency. That should improve with Doc and Morey running things.
Meh. I’m not writing home about a guy who gets 10 minutes a night coming off the bench.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of focus here on an ass clown like Drummond who at best gets 8-10 minutes off the bench in the playoffs. He’s a dinosaur. He’s a big in the modern game that can’t shoot, can’t facilitate, can’t space the floor. He’s overpaid for what he is and that’s why he couldn’t be traded and instead was bought out.
I guess you missed the Lakers winning the title using guys like that (McGee, Howard) last year. They don't have those guys this year. Drummond is an easy fit right into their role(s), sharing time with Gasol who brings a different style (although he has slowed).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. I’m not writing home about a guy who gets 10 minutes a night coming off the bench.

That was the only "name" FA signing I could find for them this season. 7 and 8 in 17 mpg isn't anything to sneeze at.