• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly isn’t an NBA FA destination city. It’s been nearly impossible to get a FA to consider Philly.

I don't think that is entirely true. It isn't LA, New York or Miami, but I think they are probably in that next tier with teams like Houston or Boston. Being consistent winners with a respected coach and GM will help a lot.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was responding to Wiggy's assessment of the current team.

The Sixers only had 1 No. 1 pick. And Cavs fans complaining about bad luck with the ping pong balls is.... amusing.
well this is misleading since Embiid would have been the #1 pick had he not been scheduled to miss the entire year.

The Sixers could wait it out- and if anything- LIKED that he wouldnt play his first year and "red shirt" because they wanted to continue to suck.

Also- you did have 2 #1 overall picks- Simmons and Fultz.

2014- Embiid- #3- would have went #1 if he could have played his first year
2015- #3 overall Jahlil Okafor
2016- #1 overall Simmons
2017- #1 overall Fultz
2018- #10 overall Bridges (traded to Phoenix)

Cavs thus far in the rebuild:
Sexton- #8 overall
Garland- #5 overall
Okoro- #5 overall

one of these things is not like the other. lol

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well this is misleading since Embiid would have been the #1 pick had he not been scheduled to miss the entire year.

The Sixers could wait it out- and if anything- LIKED that he wouldnt play his first year and "red shirt" because they wanted to continue to suck.

Also- you did have 2 #1 overall picks- Simmons and Fultz.

We traded up for Fultz.

And Embiid was the No. 3 pick. That isn't misleading. It is fact. Had the Sixers not taken him, he could have kept falling. Injured big men aren't exactly a safe choice.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly isn’t an NBA FA destination city. It’s been nearly impossible to get a FA to consider Philly.
Maybe that's because they had a coach and perhaps FA players didn't want to play for? I mean, I get it's not on the level of NY, LA, Miami but it's in the next tier. Certainly ahead of Cleveland.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was mainly his contract. 10 years ago, he was an all star caliber player and worth what he was making. In today's game...he just wasn't worth that kind of money.
Contract part of it, no doubt. But players with bigger contracts (even a lot bigger) get moved.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an outdated player; I was shocked the Cavs traded for him last season. I thought the Pistons were stuck with him.

However, the Lakers did very well last year with similar old school centers in McGee and Howard. Regardless of how much Drummond made previously, he's miles better than those two at this point in their careers and only costs the Lakers the prorated vet min. Do I expect him to be a Laker next season? Doubtful, as he will want more money than the Lakers can afford (or should be willing to pay), so they'll go looking for the next bargain veteran.
Having had both not so sure Drummond is miles better than McGee. More talented? Probably. But if the Cavs got the elite wing they need to become a decent playoff team and had to have a backup center I'd take McGee over Drummond.

But since he needs to start and they could use some scoring he could be a good fit in LA.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We traded up for Fultz.

And Embiid was the No. 3 pick. That isn't misleading. It is fact. Had the Sixers not taken him, he could have kept falling. Injured big men aren't exactly a safe choice.
OK, but you did get a #1 to use on Fultz thus you had two #1 picks. we haven't cracked #5 in this rebuild.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe that's because they had a coach and perhaps FA players didn't want to play for? I mean, I get it's not on the level of NY, LA, Miami but it's in the next tier. Certainly ahead of Cleveland.
No offense bro but a prostate exam is better than living in Cleveland.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having had both not so sure Drummond is miles better than McGee. More talented? Probably. But if the Cavs got the elite wing they need to become a decent playoff team and had to have a backup center I'd take McGee over Drummond.

But since he needs to start and they could use some scoring he could be a good fit in LA.

The big difference is Drummond can play big minutes. McGee has basically NEVER been relied upon for starter's minutes. Even when he started for the Lakers, he played less than half the game. I like McGee, but with both he and Howard it was always a matter of waiting for the bonehead play that was inevitably coming. I'm not familiar enough with Drummond to know if he has that caveat as well.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We traded up for Fultz.

He wasn't falling far. I'm sure the Lakers would have at least considered him instead of Randle.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't falling far. I'm sure the Lakers would have at least considered him instead of Randle.

Maybe. There were a lot of teams that were VERY scared that he would never play a game in the NBA. The Sixers were in a situation where their GM had no interest in being good the next season so the choice was easy for them. Would Jim Buss have been willing to make that same choice?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now javale mcgee is better than Drummond. Goodness gracious

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big difference is Drummond can play big minutes. McGee has basically NEVER been relied upon for starter's minutes. Even when he started for the Lakers, he played less than half the game. I like McGee, but with both he and Howard it was always a matter of waiting for the bonehead play that was inevitably coming. I'm not familiar enough with Drummond to know if he has that caveat as well.
other big difference is McGee will do what he's asked and Drummond is selfish.

Admittedly, thought McGee was a dunderhead but didn't see that behavior here.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,240.11
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You called me a "casual fan". Now that's funny. Sorry sport, but it's pathetic to root for your rival.

You think Carolina fans root for dook?

You think Bama fans root for Auburn?

You think Michigan State fans root for meeeechegan?

And it'll be a cold day in hell before an Ohio State fan roots for meeeechegan.

If you answered yes to any of those questions then you don't understand sports as well as you think. Now picking them to advance in the Tourney is different. But you didn't say that. All said was you liked that USC advanced.
Never once said you are.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#3, #3, #1, #1.

not exactly like #8, #5, #5.

4 top 3 picks is a little different than #8, #5, #5.

just a little. lol.

When did this become a comparison between the Sixers and Cavs?

You talked about the current Cavs roster and I asked a question. Where did I say anything about being like the Sixers or that the Sixers were better at something?

The Cavs had 3 No. 1 overall picks in 4 years. They have had 4 No 1 picks in the last 20 years. No other team has had more than 2 and only 1 team had 2 and they traded up to do it.