• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know what Kerr is doing there.
See Shaqdaddy's comment above, she's right

That doesn't mean Kerr is doing it right of course, but that explains last night

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See Shaqdaddy's comment above, she's right

That doesn't mean Kerr is doing it right of course, but that explains last night

Yea...got it

But sushi nailed it. What does he want this year to be? Seems like he still doesn't know.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize though, it is very difficult to do that, right?

Especially with the egos Phil had. MJ and Kobe were not easy to play with.

It is quite possible that if saddled with a mediocre coach, maybe Jordan only wins 1/2 titles and he isn’t even in the GOAT convo.

And since coaches with good records don’t typically get fired, it is also quite possible that a mediocre coach would still win enough to keep his job in Chicago. Much like say, Scott Brooks in OKC.

Jordan and Kobe had zero rings without Phil.

Of course I think the player side is more important, but it isn’t fair to diminish what Phil accomplished with those teams, because I don’t think the average coach gets anywhere near 11 titles out of the rosters Phil had.

They had the perfect storm in Chicago. Great roster, great coaching, and also lack of another true peer contender.
Of course I realize it's not easy. For MJ's sake I hope that comment is true seeing the coaches Lebron has won titles with.

What does not sit well with me, I guess, was in the end Phillip was asked to stay another season in Chicago and he was not up for a challenge.....and wasn't again until the Kobe and Shaq led-Lakers came a calling. I guess it sits OK with me as it's his choice, but makes me at least wonder what he was afraid of.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Del Harris, who is a very good coach imo, couldn't get the Shaq/Kobe Lakers out of the West. Phil won a title with them year 1.
To be fair 20-year-old Kobe was not quite the Kobe we remember yet......and it was a strike year. That said, I didn't follow them or at least remember....did they start improving later in year where another 20 games might have earned them a higher seed (and would that have mattered)?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does not sit well with me, I guess, was in the end Phillip was asked to stay another season in Chicago and he was not up for a challenge.

I don't know as that I'd say he wasn't up for a challenge. Kraus, et al blew that whole thing up over who got credit.

They had a team that was coming off a 2nd 3-peat and instead of running it back...the dumbasses in the Bulls FO decide to blow it up over petty bullshit. So now, instead of being known as the the FO that built the dynasty...they get to be known as the FO that tore it down.

Maybe he just didn't want to coach for an organization that was that stupid?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course I realize it's not easy. For MJ's sake I hope that comment is true seeing the coaches Lebron has won titles with.

What does not sit well with me, I guess, was in the end Phillip was asked to stay another season in Chicago and he was not up for a challenge.....and wasn't again until the Kobe and Shaq led-Lakers came a calling. I guess it sits OK with me as it's his choice, but makes me at least wonder what he was afraid of.

Serious question, have you seen The Last Dance?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question, have you seen The Last Dance?
In fact I did......that's where I saw Phillip was actually asked if he'd come back (after previously being told he would not be) and he decided against it, as did MJ.

Seemed like neither wanted a challenge and it would have been without Pippen.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact I did......that's where I saw Phillip was actually asked if he'd come back (after previously being told he would not be) and he decided against it, as did MJ.

Seemed like neither wanted a challenge and it would have been without Pippen.

I think the main take-away from the docuseries is that Krause made such a toxic environment that neither Phil or MJ wanted to be part of that.

I don't think Krause wanted Phil back, but Phil just led the team to a second threepeat and the Bulls were almost more popular than the 80's Lakers and Celtics combined.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the main take-away from the docuseries is that Krause made such a toxic environment that neither Phil or MJ wanted to be part of that.

I don't think Krause wanted Phil back, but Phil just led the team to a second threepeat and the Bulls were almost more popular than the 80's Lakers and Celtics combined.
But the fact is both Phil and MJ were asked to come back and declined. Would have been no more toxic than it was the other years with Kraus when they won titles....thanks to Kraus' work as a GM. Without Pippen, of course, it would have been a challenge that neither wanted to face apparently. If someone only watched that series and didn't know any better who would believe Kraus was an exceptional GM and MJ was a joke in the position?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would he stay?

He had his own issues with Krause/Reinsdorf and the team literally had no shot at doing anything once Jordan and Pippen moved on.

He probably viewed himself as being above a rebuild. Most coaches with PJ’s resume would have made the same choice.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly.

Wasn’t Phil the first domino to fall?

Krause was talking about hiring a new coach at the start of the ‘98 season. That was a big part of the reason MJ wanted out.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

Krause was talking about hiring a new coach at the start of the ‘98 season. That was a big part of the reason MJ wanted out.

Yep. From what I remember the team was about to be disbanded before the '98 season and they stuck it out one more year in order to get another threepeat.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. From what I remember the team was about to be disbanded before the '98 season and they stuck it out one more year in order to get another threepeat.

Also, I was just reading up on this. Phil’s camp claimed that the Bulls never did offer him a chance to return after ‘98.

Even if they did, it was surely viewed as an afterthought the way PJ was treated by Krause during negotiations from prior years.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

I'm pretty sure that the Last Dance had video of Kraus saying that Jackson would not be coming back after the 98 season before the season started. Or something to that effect.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rockets in full tank mode

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1