• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2021 March Madness Thread

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might be. I can't say I follow collegiate golf well enough to tell you who has a better team. I can tell you that Oregon has a more recent national championship in golf than Minnesota. And this is a real championship, not a retroactively claimed one
Gopher men's Golf finished 7th in 1998, 11th in 1999, 12th in 2000, 20th in 2001, WON THE TITLE in 2002, finished 19th in 2003, finished THIRD in 2006, and 9th in 2007. In ACTUAL TOURNAMENT PLAY, lol. Hardly ancient history bub.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly thought ULC was a lock over Oregon St. What do I know?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota's Golf Title came in 2002, not exactly ancient history, lol.

And overall, UMn has had a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th, a 5th, a 6th, a 7th and four 9th place finishes. 12 Top 10 finishes overall and 25 Top 20 finishes. Can Oregon match that? And UMn also has 2 Individual Champions and an alum who once ranked #1 in the world.

I honestly have no idea if Oregon can or can't. But bragging about a Golf Championship that is 19 years old is objectively hilarious

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gopher men's Golf finished 7th in 1998, 11th in 1999, 12th in 2000, 20th in 2001, WON THE TITLE in 2002, finished 19th in 2003, finished THIRD in 2006, and 9th in 2007. In ACTUAL TOURNAMENT PLAY, lol. Hardly ancient history bub.

How many BIG titles does OSU have as to minny?

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife just walked in and asked "does my boy want steak and potatoes for supper while hes watching his bouncy ball?" Lol, i love life.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife just walked in and asked "does my boy want steak and potatoes for supper while hes watching his bouncy ball?" Lol, i love life.

My wife made fun of my bracket and brought me penn station. I couldve done without the humor

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the fuck is a short handed Nova team beating Baylor?

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Nova up 30-23 at the half. They look like they want it more, we'll see if they can keep the pace up.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many Div 1 cbb teams are there now? There are well over 300 aren't there? With only 288 teams you could justify an expansion to 72 teams. With financial issues hurting many college athletic departments mostly because of covid, focus on men's cbb will only increase, so there shouldn't be any decrease in the number of teams competing in div 1, but could increase. Seems expansion may be overdue? According to the rules guiding such things, the tourney field could increase to 80 without even coming close to being legally too big.
If they went to 80....
4 regions of 20....
13 v 13, 14 v 14, 15 v 15, and 16 v 16....
Four "play-in" games per region.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Media before the tournament: The PAC 12 is the worst major conference

The PAC 12 now:

Smug kid with coffee cup on couch Blank Template - Imgflip

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on being the smartest kid on the short bus.
You realize that those are NOT UMn's top sports programs, right? Better to be the best northern team in our 6th and 7th top programs than not being the best at ANYTHING, right?

And yeah, UMn peeps ARE smart, and only 2 programs in the nation produce more Academic All-Americans than Minnesota does, at least over the last 6 years. And UMn has produced more Nobel Prize winners than the entire SEC combined. So there is that, too.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mind you neither is accurate lol

I figured a lot of this stuff isn't accurate. But who's got time to check if Minnesota's hop scotch team beat Wisconsin in 1993

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured a lot of this stuff isn't accurate. But who's got time to check if Minnesota's hop scotch team beat Wisconsin in 1993
It's all accurate you moron. I wouldn't waste my time making sh1t up. Only a dumb fukking loser like you would believe I was.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"worlds best professional trainer at the time"... "lived in Minnesota"???

So this guy, this trainer, he just happened to live in Minnesota? lol And why was that? Do top notch wrestling trainers just like the cold weather or something? Any chance that guy ALSO went to UMn? What's the name of this guy?

Maybe the University of Minnesota attracts top notch wrestlers, especially Heavyweights, like...

Next year's soon to be #1 ranked wrestler going into next year, who will be the defending HWT Champ, Gable Stevenson, OR

Two time HWT Champion Tony Nelson, or Two time HWT Champion Cole Konrad, or two time 197 lb Champion Damion Hahn, or two time 197 lb Champion Tim Hartung, or the aforementioned Brock Lesnar, and that is just since 1998. There has been others, including Verne Gagne.

Minnesota has twice as many HWT title winners as any other school in the 21st Century including the Defending HWT champ who still has 1 or 2 years of eligibility left, so it could be a very long time before any team catches up to the Gophers, if any team ever does?

Minnesota has won EIGHT Dual Natl Title tournaments and finished Top 2 NINE times since 1998.

Minnesota has a Nobel Peace Prize winner as one of it's former Wrestlers. This future Nobel Peace Prize winner, accredited as saving more human lives than any other human being ever to live, recruited his old hs wrestling coach to come up and become UMn's first full time wrestling coach and while here, he was basically the one who started up the Minnesota State HS wrestling Championships. Later he coached future Wrestling Hall of Famers Verne Gagne, Wally Johnson and Alan Rice. Gagne went on to transform pro wrestling, as I'm sure you are aware, and Rice went on to transform amateur/olympic wrestling, while Johnson went on start up wrestling programs at SDSU and Luther College before going on to lead the Gopher Wrestling program for over 30 years. Other Gopher wrestlers went on to continue leading the US's amateur and olympic wrestlers in several ways, and at several levels, both Dan Chandler and Joe Russell have been highly influential in the US's wrestling fortunes.

The founder of the Augsburg college wrestling program didn't wrestle for the Gophers, but he got a Masters Degree from UMn as did Jeff Swanson, and one of Johnson's Gopher wrestlers John Grygelko, after leading Robbinsdale HS Wrestling program to a lot of success, went on to take over at Augsburg and began the transformation of Augsburg(which one of his wrestlers, Jeff Swanson went on to complete) into the top Div 3 wrestling program in the nation. An NAIA Hall of Famer, the former coach of Bemidji St football and wrestling, also got his Masters Degree from Minnesota. Kind of a trend, if they don't wrestle for the Gophers, they go there to get their Master's Degrees, lol.

Shall I continue? I mean I own a book based solely on the history of wrestling in Minnesota, and though it's been many years since I've looked at it, I did recently find a list of names I wrote down back then, in order Ric Flair, Verne Gagne, Bronko Nagurski, Leo Nomellini, Greg Gagne, Eric Bischoff, Jim Brunzell, Larry Hennig, Stan Kowalski, Ole Anderson, Tom Zenk & Scott Irwin. Guessing each and every one of those people have some connection to the University of Minnesota, as I know for a fact that the first 5 names do, and I recognize all of the other names.

I mean, really, there is an argument to be made that no university has done more for wrestling in the US than the University of Minnesota, which by itself would be impressive, but in light of the fact that there is no argument whatsoever that no university in the nation has done more to transform the sport of hockey in the US, both men's and women's hockey, at all levels, that makes this even more impressive. And I think it's fitting that a future Nobel Peace Prize winner who is accredited for saving more lives than any other human ever to live, could be argued to be the one who made it all happen.
Your argument would have validation about Brock had his trainer actually gone to Minnesota. Do I have an answer why a professional wrestling trainer lives in Minnesota, no of course not but there isn’t a legitimate answer why any headquarters was founded in a particular city.

List all of the wrestlers you want but A. Wrestling is less popular than tennis so die on that hill. B. You are acting like Minnesota is some huge hub of amateur wrestling because of the people you listed. Name one Minnesota wrestler who accomplished half of Sanderson or Gable?

Your “book” is moronic because it isn’t based in fact. 7 degrees of separation doesn’t make you any better than you think. Our football team has stepped on the same field as Alabama and USC, that doesn’t mean we get credited for all of their national champions. Washington State’s most successful student of all time didn’t get an earned degree but still was worth more money than the top 20 Minnesota alumnus combined, does that make us a better institution?

And you saying there is an argument for Minnesota being influential in wrestler is again moronic. You stated their is an argument for Minnesota being X, Y and Z in wrestler literally destroys all of the puke of a diatribe you just spewed. A debate means both sides have an argument and neither are correct unlike you listing all of your guys when as I said none of the guys you listed are as accomplished amateur or professional wrestlers as Iowa State, Oklahoma State or in your pro wrestling example West Texas State.