• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2021 March Madness Thread

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who is Minnesota playing in the Sweet 16 this weekend?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who is Minnesota playing in the Sweet 16 this weekend?
So, Oregon wins ONE SINGLE GAME, vs an Iowa team that My Gophers beat. UMn beat Iowa, why does Oregon doing it make it so much more of an accomplishment???

the way Oregon goes about it's business, my guess is that you are VERY proud of the fact that Oregon probably has the record of getting to the Sweet 16 the most times with the fewest # of wins against the weakest of competition. Your 1939 team didn't even make it to the REAL Championship tourney, and needed some organization to basically tell the lie that Oregon was some sort of Champion after they beat all of the teams who didn't get invites to the REAL Title Tourney, the NIT, when the whole of the cbb world believed LIU was the real champs. This year's Oregon team didn't have to win 2 or 3 games to get to the Sweet 16, they only had to win ONE GAME. So again Oregon garners sh1t they didn't have to earn.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Oregon wins ONE SINGLE GAME, vs an Iowa team that My Gophers beat. UMn beat Iowa, why does Oregon doing it make it so much more of an accomplishment???

the way Oregon goes about it's business, my guess is that you are VERY proud of the fact that Oregon probably has the record of getting to the Sweet 16 the most times with the fewest # of wins against the weakest of competition. Your 1939 team didn't even make it to the REAL Championship tourney, and needed some organization to basically tell the lie that Oregon was some sort of Champion after they beat all of the teams who didn't get invites to the REAL Title Tourney, the NIT, when the whole of the cbb world believed LIU was the real champs. This year's Oregon team didn't have to win 2 or 3 games to get to the Sweet 16, they only had to win ONE GAME. So again Oregon garners sh1t they didn't have to earn.

So in short, Oregon is playing in the S16 for the 4th time in 5 tournaments while the Gophers are sitting around watching other teams...again. Got it

Nobody gives a shit about 1939. Oregon won the NCAAT (notice they didn’t have to claim anything because it wasn’t a retroactively claimed title) but I understand nobody in 2021 should care

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell are you talking about? Minnesota hasn’t played a meaningful football game in 50 years
Who the fukk are you to claim what are and what are not meaningful games??? Did you ever play a sport? So are you going to try to claim that only Natl Title games are meaningful?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the fukk are you to claim what are and what are not meaningful games??? Did you ever play a sport? So are you going to try to claim that only Natl Title games are meaningful?

I have played sports. Minnesota hasn’t played in a Rose Bowl or Big Ten championship in a long time. It’s been decades since they’ve even played for something that’s mattered

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, basketball games are either already going now, or will be going very soon, so talk of how the University of Minnesota was the most influential university in the development of men's and women's hockey, and wrestling, should probably be put on hold for now.

Oh, and later, if it starts back up again, well, I can go into how influential UMn was in the development of football as a sport, as well. ;)

But like I said, this is a bb thread, so as far back as 1902 and 1903 and 1919 are in the college game and as far back as the 1940s and 50s is for the pro game, fact is, you can add BASKETBALL to the list of sports the University of Minnesota was influential in the development of.

"minnesota was the most influential university in the development of men's and women's hockey, and wrestling"

If Minnesota's the most influential wrestling program why does Iowa have 24 national titles and Minnesota only have three?

Minnesota didn't win it's first wrestling national title until '01. By that time Iowa had already won 20. Didn't bother looking any hockey info because I'm sure you're just being an over the top homer again.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"minnesota was the most influential university in the development of men's and women's hockey, and wrestling"

If Minnesota's the most influential wrestling program why does Iowa have 24 national titles and Minnesota only have three?

Minnesota didn't win it's first wrestling national title until '01. By that time Iowa had already won 20. Didn't bother looking any hockey info because I'm sure you're just being an over the top homer again.
So Fred is pounding his chest about a irrelevant college sport and Minnesota’s rivals kicks their ass at it?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in short, Oregon is playing in the S16 for the 4th time in 5 tournaments while the Gophers are sitting around watching other teams...again. Got it

Nobody gives a shit about 1939. Oregon won the NCAAT (notice they didn’t have to claim anything because it wasn’t a retroactively claimed title) but I understand nobody in 2021 should care
YES, it was a retroactively claimed title, because EVERYONE outside of Oregon, recognized LIU as the legitimate Champion. It's taken decades upon decades for the majority of the cbb world of that time to die off and for cbb fans in general to become ignorant of the facts of history and to now have to look up lists made by who knows who as to who did what back in the day.

And fine, it's great that Oregon finally figured out how to win at shit other than running sports, but Oregon has yet to prove it's anything more than a one timer, who has gotten lucky with 2 good coaching hires backed up by a CHILD SLAVER and evil POS with money. UConn had a nice run for awhile in mens bb, then their coach left/retired/got fired, whatever, and now they are back to being a mid-major nobody, and even their women's team is slipping. Won't be long before their coach has to retire or dies and their women's program goes back to being nothing but a mid-major nobody. Why? Because UConn, the school, is 2nd rate. Oregon? Oregon historically was always 2nd rate. Soon as Nike Child Slaver guy passes, Oregon will probably slowly disappear. Why? Because historically Oregon was 2nd rate. Things are different now, maybe Oregon will not end up like UConn? Maybe all of those tracksters earning millions of dollars every year from their pro track careers will continue to fund Oregon's athletic endeavors beyond Nike guys lifespan? lol

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Fred is pounding his chest about a irrelevant college sport and Minnesota’s rivals kicks their ass at it?

So I looked up NCAA mens hockey champs. And to no surprise Minnesota doesn't have the most. They have 5 total. Then there's these program with more titles.

Wisconsin- 6
N. Dakota- 8
Denver University- 8
meeeechegan- 9 (yuck!)

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You do understand the difference between "influential" and dominating, right?

Miami of Ohio, for the longest time, was called the "Cradle of Coaches", yet they never even came close to winning a Natl Title in college football, so why on earth would they be given such a nickname? Answer me that? I mean, do you really believe that Miami of Ohio was the absolute undeniable "Cradle of Coaches"?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do understand the difference between "influential" and dominating, right?

Miami of Ohio, for the longest time, was called the "Cradle of Coaches", yet they never even came close to winning a Natl Title in college football, so why on earth would they be given such a nickname? Answer me that? I mean, do you really believe that Miami of Ohio was the absolute undeniable "Cradle of Coaches"?

Never heard anyone other than you say Minnesota's the most influential wrestling program of all time. Which means you're just being a homer again. Post some info backing your claim up or you're simply lying.

And you make me laugh. Why is Miami of OH. called the cradle of coaches? You really need an explanation? It's becuase of all the legendary coaches that were there.

Nobody is doubting why Miami of OH. is called what they're called. But I don't believe anything you say about the Gophers because you have your Minnesota homer helmet super glued to your head.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UMn ranks #1 ALL-TIME in Women's Hockey, in every single way of analyzing things, and it's not even close. It's unanimously acknowledged they are #1 all-time.

UMn ranks #1 over the last 50 years in Men's hockey, in almost every way of analyzing things, and is arguably #1 All-Time, depending on what you look at and what you hold important. If college Natl Titles is all you care about, then there is an argument to make for other colleges who loaded up their rosters with older Canadian player, over Minnesota, but if you respect the FACT that Minnesota has supplied the US Olympic Hockey with TWICE AS MANY players as all but one other school, and that their # of Gold Medals dwarfs the next best school, and the # of players UMn has landed in the US Hockey Hall of Fame far outnumbers any other college and the # of players they've put into the NHL exceeds any other college and what they've done in the NHL exceeds what any other college has done, then you might lean towards UMn being #1 all-time in men's hockey as well.

UMn ranks #1 ALL-TIME in College Dance Competition history with their 19 Natl Titles in just the 21 Century. And it's not even close.

So there are THREE sports UMn is #1 at.

UMn ranks #1 ALL-TIME among NORTHERN Baseball programs, with 3 Natl Titles. Michigan only has 2, and OSU has 1.

UMn ranks #1 in the 21st Century, among NORTHERN Golf programs, with 1 Natl Title and a 3rd place finish and several other Top 10 finishes.

UMn ranks Top 5 in the 21st Century in women's VB getting to the Final Four 6 times in the 21st Century.

SO... UMn ONLY ranking Top 5 in the 21st Century in Wrestling, and only Top Ten(#6 maybe?) ALL-TIME, is hardly insignificant, seeing as it's not even close to being UMn's #1 sport, might not even be among it's Top 5, #5 at best.

Can Oregon even claim to be #1 ALL-TIME in a single sport? Track/CC the last 10-20 years maybe? You tell me? Hardly matches anything UMn has done.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LM
UMn ranks #1 ALL-TIME in Women's Hockey, in every single way of analyzing things, and it's not even close. It's unanimously acknowledged they are #1 all-time.

UMn ranks #1 over the last 50 years in Men's hockey, in almost every way of analyzing things, and is arguably #1 All-Time, depending on what you look at and what you hold important. If college Natl Titles is all you care about, then there is an argument to make for other colleges who loaded up their rosters with older Canadian player, over Minnesota, but if you respect the FACT that Minnesota has supplied the US Olympic Hockey with TWICE AS MANY players as all but one other school, and that their # of Gold Medals dwarfs the next best school, and the # of players UMn has landed in the US Hockey Hall of Fame far outnumbers any other college and the # of players they've put into the NHL exceeds any other college and what they've done in the NHL exceeds what any other college has done, then you might lean towards UMn being #1 all-time in men's hockey as well.

UMn ranks #1 ALL-TIME in College Dance Competition history with their 19 Natl Titles in just the 21 Century. And it's not even close.

So there are THREE sports UMn is #1 at.

UMn ranks #1 ALL-TIME among NORTHERN Baseball programs, with 3 Natl Titles. Michigan only has 2, and OSU has 1.

UMn ranks #1 in the 21st Century, among NORTHERN Golf programs, with 1 Natl Title and a 3rd place finish and several other Top 10 finishes.

UMn ranks Top 5 in the 21st Century in women's VB getting to the Final Four 6 times in the 21st Century.

SO... UMn ONLY ranking Top 5 in the 21st Century in Wrestling, and only Top Ten(#6 maybe?) ALL-TIME, is hardly insignificant, seeing as it's not even close to being UMn's #1 sport, might not even be among it's Top 5, #5 at best.

Can Oregon even claim to be #1 ALL-TIME in a single sport? Track/CC the last 10-20 years maybe? You tell me? Hardly matches anything UMn has done.

LMFAO #1 amongst Northern programs.

Nobody is impressed your golf team is better than Wisconsin’s

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never heard anyone other than you say Minnesota's the most influential wrestling program of all time. Which means you're just being a homer again. Post some info backing your claim up or you're simply lying.

And you make me laugh. Why is Miami of OH. called the cradle of coaches? You really need an explanation? It's becuase of all the legendary coaches that were there.

Nobody is doubting why Miami of OH. is called what they're called. But I don't believe anything you say about the Gophers because you have your Minnesota homer helmet super glued to your head.
Dude, you are such a simple minded dope. I know EXACTLY why the masses call or accept the idea that Miami of Ohio is called the "Cradle of Coaches". But I used to battle with a Miami of Ohio fan for many years and I proved that Minnesota has a better argument for being the Cradle of Coaches than MU has. Why doesn't anyone else know this? lol Simple, because Minnesota cares far more about so many other things they never needed to be seen as the cradle of coaches. Miami of Ohio has nothing else, so they NEEDED something like being known as the Cradle of Coaches.

Or maybe you didn't know that former Gophers are pretty legendary as well???

Gil Dobie - built UW Husky football, in part by NEVER ONCE LOSING while coaching there. YEAH, THE HOLDER OF THE LONGEST NON-LOSING STREAK IN DIV ONE COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS A FORMER GOPHER!!!!

Bud Wilkinson - built OU Sooner football, in part by winning 47 straight games. YEAH, THE HOLDER OF THE LONGEST WINNING STREAK IN DIV ONE COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS A FORMER GOPHER!!!! CBS Sportsline named him the CFB NATL Coach of the Century. And he and his Sooners were named one of the 12 teams deemed among the Dozen Dynasties of Cfb history.

Jim Malosky - build UMD football, in part by ending his career there as the #1 most winningest coach in Div 2 cfb history.

Biggie Munn built MSU football, along with being the man accredited for getting MSU into the B1G Conf.
Clark Shaughnessy - built Tulane football, then coached Stanford to a perfect season, while at the same time basically, transforming pro football in a way that got him nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame on 3 separate occasions.

Bernie Bierman - continued to build Tulane after taking over for fellow Gopher Clark Shaughnessy, then built Minnesota into ANOTHER one of the Dozen Dynasties as named by the cfb Hall of Fame. He only won SEVEN Natl Titles, 2 at Tulane and 5 at Minnesota. It took a World War and the bombing of Pearl Harbor to take down his absolute domination of cfb of that time. CBS Sportsline named him B1G Conf Coach of the 20th Century.

And those are just the ones inducted into the Cfb Hall of Fame.

Bud Grant - not only got into the NFL Hall of Fame, but he also got into the CFL Hall of Fame as well, only person ever to do so.

Tony Dungy - first black person ever to win a Super Bowl, got into the NFL Hall of Fame alongside Grant.

Again, just listing the Hall of Famers.

Not sure any other university in the nation can claim as many alums that became head coaches in the NFL as UMn can as there is a long list of former Gophers who coached in the NFL. The list might be in double digits? I'll have to find my list. lol

Marc Trestman - won almost as many Grey Cup Titles(3) as Bud Grant did(4), and more than former Gopher Dave Skrien did, one. In total, 4 different former Gophers appeared in 14 Grey Cup Title Games winning 8 of them. Not sure any other university can claim as many CFL Titles, or title game appearances or having 4 alums get teams to the Grey Cup?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you are such a simple minded dope. I know EXACTLY why the masses call or accept the idea that Miami of Ohio is called the "Cradle of Coaches". But I used to battle with a Miami of Ohio fan for many years and I proved that Minnesota has a better argument for being the Cradle of Coaches than MU has. Why doesn't anyone else know this? lol Simple, because Minnesota cares far more about so many other things they never needed to be seen as the cradle of coaches. Miami of Ohio has nothing else, so they NEEDED something like being known as the Cradle of Coaches.

Or maybe you didn't know that former Gophers are pretty legendary as well???

Gil Dobie - built UW Husky football, in part by NEVER ONCE LOSING while coaching there. YEAH, THE HOLDER OF THE LONGEST NON-LOSING STREAK IN DIV ONE COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS A FORMER GOPHER!!!!

Bud Wilkinson - built OU Sooner football, in part by winning 47 straight games. YEAH, THE HOLDER OF THE LONGEST WINNING STREAK IN DIV ONE COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS A FORMER GOPHER!!!! CBS Sportsline named him the CFB NATL Coach of the Century. And he and his Sooners were named one of the 12 teams deemed among the Dozen Dynasties of Cfb history.

Jim Malosky - build UMD football, in part by ending his career there as the #1 most winningest coach in Div 2 cfb history.

Biggie Munn built MSU football, along with being the man accredited for getting MSU into the B1G Conf.
Clark Shaughnessy - built Tulane football, then coached Stanford to a perfect season, while at the same time basically, transforming pro football in a way that got him nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame on 3 separate occasions.

Bernie Bierman - continued to build Tulane after taking over for fellow Gopher Clark Shaughnessy, then built Minnesota into ANOTHER one of the Dozen Dynasties as named by the cfb Hall of Fame. He only won SEVEN Natl Titles, 2 at Tulane and 5 at Minnesota. It took a World War and the bombing of Pearl Harbor to take down his absolute domination of cfb of that time. CBS Sportsline named him B1G Conf Coach of the 20th Century.

And those are just the ones inducted into the Cfb Hall of Fame.

Bud Grant - not only got into the NFL Hall of Fame, but he also got into the CFL Hall of Fame as well, only person ever to do so.

Tony Dungy - first black person ever to win a Super Bowl, got into the NFL Hall of Fame alongside Grant.

Again, just listing the Hall of Famers.

Not sure any other university in the nation can claim as many alums that became head coaches in the NFL as UMn can as there is a long list of former Gophers who coached in the NFL. The list might be in double digits? I'll have to find my list. lol

Marc Trestman - won almost as many Grey Cup Titles(3) as Bud Grant did(4), and more than former Gopher Dave Skrien did, one. In total, 4 different former Gophers appeared in 14 Grey Cup Title Games winning 8 of them. Not sure any other university can claim as many CFL Titles, or title game appearances or having 4 alums get teams to the Grey Cup?

All of your gibberish has nothing to do with the fact that you can't provide any legit proof that Minnesota wrestling is one of the most influential of all time as you have claimed.

Although it is funny how you've tried, but failed, to change the subject to Miami of OH. football. And all the people you mentioned have nothing to do with the original topic. Minnesota wrestling isn't as influential as you think they are.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LM

LMFAO #1 amongst Northern programs.

Nobody is impressed your golf team is better than Wisconsin’s
Says the fan of a school that couldn't even work their way into the Top 50 of the Sears Directors Cup 4 times. That's pretty embarrassing if you ask me. 10 times since it's inception Oregon couldn't crack the Top 38. Meanwhile, Minnesota only once dipped below #30, coming in #31 on one occasion. Good thing for Oregon the Sears Director's Cup is sort of a recent thing and didn't start earlier, lol.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of your gibberish has nothing to do with the fact that you can't provide any legit proof that Minnesota wrestling is one of the most influential of all time as you have claimed.

Although it is funny how you've tried, but failed, to change the subject to Miami of OH. football. And all the people you mentioned have nothing to do with the original topic. Minnesota wrestling isn't as influential as you think they are.
Dude, I provided the links, just because you were too lazy to check them out. lol

Look them up for yourself if you need to, Alan Rice, Norman Borlaug, Bartelma, Verne Gagne, Wally Johnson, John Grygelko, Dan Chandler, Joe Russell.