• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2021 March Madness Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But now that I know any meeeechegan jokes get your maze 'n blew underoos in a bunch I'll make sure to notify you whenever I make fun of your beloved wolvereeeens.

Damn. You're gonna be tagging him A LOT.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tldr....you pac12 big10 fans still measuring dicks in here?? Mr wallace says you're both winners. Can we move on already..

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. You're gonna be tagging him A LOT.

What's hilarious is that lions=tehsucks kid totally lost his shit yesterday because I made fun of meeeechegan football again. It all started with this comment.

What's more impressive?

1.) Minnesota basketball going 15-0 in 1902
2.) Cy Young going 32-11 in 1902
3.) meeechegan football going 11-0 in 1902

Funny fact. Ohio State is 17-3 vs. meeeechegan this century. hail to the victor? Of course not.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"a program like Minnesota"??? lol

You mean a program that has produced

the likes of Ric Flair, Brock Lesnar, & Vern Gagne? Three of the biggest names in Pro Wrestling history?

A school that ranks 6th all-time in the # of Natl Titles won in college wrestling, with all of them coming in the 21st Century.
A school that has produced TWICE AS MANY Heavyweight Natl Champs in the 21st Century than any other school. Call UMn HWT U maybe? lol

So the current 2 time HWT Champ UMner Gable Stephenson, with another year left to wrestle could easily join that above list of pro wrestling giants.

Back to college wrestling, former Gophers have gone on and started state HS tourneys, and other programs at other colleges that have thrived, in fact dominated in some cases(Augsburg), and also the Mn Amatuer Wr Club which has become the #1 Olympic and Natl Team feeder program in the country.

Another Gopher Wrestling Hall of Famer, the one who recruited the guy who started up the Minnesota HS Wrestling tournament, went on to win a Nobel Peace Prize for saving at least a Billion lives with his plant research.
The University of Minnesota didn’t produce Ric Flair. Brock technically wrestled for 2 years there but hardly can you take credit.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The University of Minnesota didn’t produce Ric Flair. Brock technically wrestled for 2 years there but hardly can you take credit.
WTF are you talking about? Lesnar competed for the Gophers his junior and senior seasons, how does that mean UMn can't claim him? Players coming in for 1-2 seasons is common place you moron. Sure, U of Mn scientists didn't formulate his DNA in a lab, and then raise him up his entire life within the confines of the Univ of UMn campus. Like every other university IN THE WORLD, we recruited him to come here and he CHOSE of his own free will to come to Minnesota vs some other place. So because of that, we can and WILL claim him.

Who the fukk are you to claim otherwise? LOL

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is this? ANOTHER Natl Titlist for the Gophers?

Attachments

• IMG_3941.jpg
    IMG_3941.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 2

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How didn't the U of Mn NOT produce Ric Flair? Ric attended the Univ of Minnesota, and yes, he was only their briefly, but why? Where did he go? Could it be that he want off and trained with Verne Gagne, Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell? All 3 of those peeps went to the Univ of Minnesota, you realize this, right? lol

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF are you talking about? Lesnar competed for the Gophers his junior and senior seasons, how does that mean UMn can't claim him? Players coming in for 1-2 seasons is common place you moron. Sure, U of Mn scientists didn't formulate his DNA in a lab, and then raise him up his entire life within the confines of the Univ of UMn campus. Like every other university IN THE WORLD, we recruited him to come here and he CHOSE of his own free will to come to Minnesota vs some other place. So because of that, we can and WILL claim him.

Who the fukk are you to claim otherwise? LOL
You can’t beat your chest like he was some home grown talent and pretty sure he didn’t finish his degree either. Sure say he wrestled there but you look foolish propping up Minnesota as if he chose Minnesota over other schools. He went to Minnesota because he had a job waiting on and the worlds best professional wrestling trainer at the time lived in Minnesota. If the NCAA gave two cents about wrestling Minnesota only broke about what 15 of their rules for your 2000 club.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How didn't the U of Mn NOT produce Ric Flair? Ric attended the Univ of Minnesota, and yes, he was only their briefly, but why? Where did he go? Could it be that he want off and trained with Verne Gagne, Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell? All 3 of those peeps went to the Univ of Minnesota, you realize this, right? lol
Someone stepping on your campus doesn’t mean you claim him. So you admit by his association you claim Flair? Ok, I am sure you have an actual list of people you can claim.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All i gotta say is its a helluva alot better reading this kind of argument than some political nonsense. Well played fred, well played. On a side note, i had 9 of the 16 teams make it. Not very impressive, but a ton better than expected after the first round.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can’t beat your chest like he was some home grown talent and pretty sure he didn’t finish his degree either. Sure say he wrestled there but you look foolish propping up Minnesota as if he chose Minnesota over other schools. He went to Minnesota because he had a job waiting on and the worlds best professional wrestling trainer at the time lived in Minnesota. If the NCAA gave two cents about wrestling Minnesota only broke about what 15 of their rules for your 2000 club.
"worlds best professional trainer at the time"... "lived in Minnesota"???

So this guy, this trainer, he just happened to live in Minnesota? lol And why was that? Do top notch wrestling trainers just like the cold weather or something? Any chance that guy ALSO went to UMn? What's the name of this guy?

Maybe the University of Minnesota attracts top notch wrestlers, especially Heavyweights, like...

Next year's soon to be #1 ranked wrestler going into next year, who will be the defending HWT Champ, Gable Stevenson, OR

Two time HWT Champion Tony Nelson, or Two time HWT Champion Cole Konrad, or two time 197 lb Champion Damion Hahn, or two time 197 lb Champion Tim Hartung, or the aforementioned Brock Lesnar, and that is just since 1998. There has been others, including Verne Gagne.

Minnesota has twice as many HWT title winners as any other school in the 21st Century including the Defending HWT champ who still has 1 or 2 years of eligibility left, so it could be a very long time before any team catches up to the Gophers, if any team ever does?

Minnesota has won EIGHT Dual Natl Title tournaments and finished Top 2 NINE times since 1998.

Minnesota has a Nobel Peace Prize winner as one of it's former Wrestlers. This future Nobel Peace Prize winner, accredited as saving more human lives than any other human being ever to live, recruited his old hs wrestling coach to come up and become UMn's first full time wrestling coach and while here, he was basically the one who started up the Minnesota State HS wrestling Championships. Later he coached future Wrestling Hall of Famers Verne Gagne, Wally Johnson and Alan Rice. Gagne went on to transform pro wrestling, as I'm sure you are aware, and Rice went on to transform amateur/olympic wrestling, while Johnson went on start up wrestling programs at SDSU and Luther College before going on to lead the Gopher Wrestling program for over 30 years. Other Gopher wrestlers went on to continue leading the US's amateur and olympic wrestlers in several ways, and at several levels, both Dan Chandler and Joe Russell have been highly influential in the US's wrestling fortunes.

The founder of the Augsburg college wrestling program didn't wrestle for the Gophers, but he got a Masters Degree from UMn as did Jeff Swanson, and one of Johnson's Gopher wrestlers John Grygelko, after leading Robbinsdale HS Wrestling program to a lot of success, went on to take over at Augsburg and began the transformation of Augsburg(which one of his wrestlers, Jeff Swanson went on to complete) into the top Div 3 wrestling program in the nation. An NAIA Hall of Famer, the former coach of Bemidji St football and wrestling, also got his Masters Degree from Minnesota. Kind of a trend, if they don't wrestle for the Gophers, they go there to get their Master's Degrees, lol.

Shall I continue? I mean I own a book based solely on the history of wrestling in Minnesota, and though it's been many years since I've looked at it, I did recently find a list of names I wrote down back then, in order Ric Flair, Verne Gagne, Bronko Nagurski, Leo Nomellini, Greg Gagne, Eric Bischoff, Jim Brunzell, Larry Hennig, Stan Kowalski, Ole Anderson, Tom Zenk & Scott Irwin. Guessing each and every one of those people have some connection to the University of Minnesota, as I know for a fact that the first 5 names do, and I recognize all of the other names.

I mean, really, there is an argument to be made that no university has done more for wrestling in the US than the University of Minnesota, which by itself would be impressive, but in light of the fact that there is no argument whatsoever that no university in the nation has done more to transform the sport of hockey in the US, both men's and women's hockey, at all levels, that makes this even more impressive. And I think it's fitting that a future Nobel Peace Prize winner who is accredited for saving more lives than any other human ever to live, could be argued to be the one who made it all happen.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"worlds best professional trainer at the time"... "lived in Minnesota"???

So this guy, this trainer, he just happened to live in Minnesota? lol And why was that? Do top notch wrestling trainers just like the cold weather or something? Any chance that guy ALSO went to UMn? What's the name of this guy?

Maybe the University of Minnesota attracts top notch wrestlers, especially Heavyweights, like...

Next year's soon to be #1 ranked wrestler going into next year, who will be the defending HWT Champ, Gable Stevenson, OR

Two time HWT Champion Tony Nelson, or Two time HWT Champion Cole Konrad, or two time 197 lb Champion Damion Hahn, or two time 197 lb Champion Tim Hartung, or the aforementioned Brock Lesnar, and that is just since 1998. There has been others, including Verne Gagne.

Minnesota has twice as many HWT title winners as any other school in the 21st Century including the Defending HWT champ who still has 1 or 2 years of eligibility left, so it could be a very long time before any team catches up to the Gophers, if any team ever does?

Minnesota has won EIGHT Dual Natl Title tournaments and finished Top 2 NINE times since 1998.

Minnesota has a Nobel Peace Prize winner as one of it's former Wrestlers. This future Nobel Peace Prize winner, accredited as saving more human lives than any other human being ever to live, recruited his old hs wrestling coach to come up and become UMn's first full time wrestling coach and while here, he was basically the one who started up the Minnesota State HS wrestling Championships. Later he coached future Wrestling Hall of Famers Verne Gagne, Wally Johnson and Alan Rice. Gagne went on to transform pro wrestling, as I'm sure you are aware, and Rice went on to transform amateur/olympic wrestling, while Johnson went on start up wrestling programs at SDSU and Luther College before going on to lead the Gopher Wrestling program for over 30 years. Other Gopher wrestlers went on to continue leading the US's amateur and olympic wrestlers in several ways, and at several levels, both Dan Chandler and Joe Russell have been highly influential in the US's wrestling fortunes.

The founder of the Augsburg college wrestling program didn't wrestle for the Gophers, but he got a Masters Degree from UMn as did Jeff Swanson, and one of Johnson's Gopher wrestlers John Grygelko, after leading Robbinsdale HS Wrestling program to a lot of success, went on to take over at Augsburg and began the transformation of Augsburg(which one of his wrestlers, Jeff Swanson went on to complete) into the top Div 3 wrestling program in the nation. An NAIA Hall of Famer, the former coach of Bemidji St football and wrestling, also got his Masters Degree from Minnesota. Kind of a trend, if they don't wrestle for the Gophers, they go there to get their Master's Degrees, lol.

Shall I continue? I mean I own a book based solely on the history of wrestling in Minnesota, and though it's been many years since I've looked at it, I did recently find a list of names I wrote down back then, in order Ric Flair, Verne Gagne, Bronko Nagurski, Leo Nomellini, Greg Gagne, Eric Bischoff, Jim Brunzell, Larry Hennig, Stan Kowalski, Ole Anderson, Tom Zenk & Scott Irwin. Guessing each and every one of those people have some connection to the University of Minnesota, as I know for a fact that the first 5 names do, and I recognize all of the other names.

I mean, really, there is an argument to be made that no university has done more for wrestling in the US than the University of Minnesota, which by itself would be impressive, but in light of the fact that there is no argument whatsoever that no university in the nation has done more to transform the sport of hockey in the US, both men's and women's hockey, at all levels, that makes this even more impressive. And I think it's fitting that a future Nobel Peace Prize winner who is accredited for saving more lives than any other human ever to live, could be argued to be the one who made it all happen.
Did I forget to mention Nick Lentz and Shelton Benjamin, among others?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, basketball games are either already going now, or will be going very soon, so talk of how the University of Minnesota was the most influential university in the development of men's and women's hockey, and wrestling, should probably be put on hold for now.

Oh, and later, if it starts back up again, well, I can go into how influential UMn was in the development of football as a sport, as well. ;)

But like I said, this is a bb thread, so as far back as 1902 and 1903 and 1919 are in the college game and as far back as the 1940s and 50s is for the pro game, fact is, you can add BASKETBALL to the list of sports the University of Minnesota was influential in the development of.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and I did mention that CHEERLEADING was invented at the University of Minnesota, right? lol