• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021-2022 Mariners offseason/free agency thread

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariner fans getting ready for this to happen. Lucy Dipoto with the hold and us fans getting ready to kick the ball.
charlie-brown-lucy-football.png

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariner fans getting ready for this to happen. Lucy Dipoto with the hold and us fans getting ready to kick the ball.
charlie-brown-lucy-football.png
That might be my new favorite post.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys want a good chuckle,

I had been so busy at work last week that I texted a friend on Thursday asking when teams can start signing free agents. I had assumed the second the lockout ended we'd see Dipoto make 7 trades and announce the signing of Kris Bryant.

Hopefully Dipoto can give us something to argue about.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm definitely late on this, but I don't see why we couldn't have made a deal happen for Chris Bassitt. I get that things are complicated by the Athletics being a division rival, but IMO the Mets gave up pennies to land him. I don't know why we couldn't have made a trade happen, even if we gave up more than the Mets.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys want a good chuckle,

I had been so busy at work last week that I texted a friend on Thursday asking when teams can start signing free agents. I had assumed the second the lockout ended we'd see Dipoto make 7 trades and announce the signing of Kris Bryant.

Hopefully Dipoto can give us something to argue about.
You were not alone in that thought. I am shocked and worried. The longer you give a guy to decide as a Mariner, the more likely he is waiting for another deal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm definitely late on this, but I don't see why we couldn't have made a deal happen for Chris Bassitt. I get that things are complicated by the Athletics being a division rival, but IMO the Mets gave up pennies to land him. I don't know why we couldn't have made a trade happen, even if we gave up more than the Mets.
My thought with no proof behind it is that Dipoto is set on Bryant so much he is skipping other options at this point. Kind of like the Ohtani situation a few years back. He is going to be left with nothing else to go after. Hoping I am wrong.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were not alone in that thought. I am shocked and worried. The longer you give a guy to decide as a Mariner, the more likely he is waiting for another deal.
My hunch is that Dipoto has given Boras an offer for Kris Bryant and Boras is probably trying to use that as leverage to get more money.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hunch is that Dipoto has given Boras an offer for Kris Bryant and Boras is probably trying to use that as leverage to get more money.
I think you are partly correct. I think he is using it to get more money from another team.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought with no proof behind it is that Dipoto is set on Bryant so much he is skipping other options at this point. Kind of like the Ohtani situation a few years back. He is going to be left with nothing else to go after. Hoping I am wrong.
Honestly if I'm Dipoto, I'm going all in on Kris Bryant as well. But you could be right that he has no other backup plan, which is concerning.

I honestly believe Kris Bryant to be the best option for us at third - by far - of the available players in free agency or the trade market. I'd rather give Kris Bryant a Brinks truck of cash than attempt to trade a bunch of prospects for another option.

I'd take Kris Bryant over Matt Chapman even if we didn't have to trade for Chapman.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are partly correct. I think he is using it to get more money from another team.
That or trying to milk Dipoto for more money.

Boras is the best in the business and he knows the position the Mariners are in and he's likely using that as leverage.

I'm going to be really fucking pissed if the Mariners don't sign Kris Bryant because he's such a perfect fit and doesn't cost prospects to acquire.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly if I'm Dipoto, I'm going all in on Kris Bryant as well. But you could be right that he has no other backup plan, which is concerning.
Very concerning. I just want an additional plan in place which doesn't hinge on getting or not getting Bryant.

I honestly believe Kris Bryant to be the best option for us at third - by far - of the available players in free agency or the trade market. I'd rather give Kris Bryant a Brinks truck of cash than attempt to trade a bunch of prospects for another option.
Best free agent option for sure. I wouldn't go too crazy on spending for him though. A fair price, sure.
I'd take Kris Bryant over Matt Chapman even if we didn't have to trade for Chapman.
Not sure if I would, but can't argue against that either. Now Bryant way better option than giving up anything in our top 10 list for Chapman that is for sure.

My guess is we end up with McNeil and Smith from Mets in a deal. McNeil works at 3B and Smith gives us the LH outfielder Dipoto wants. I am not saying this is my wish, but I just think it will be our Plan F and we end up with it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Dipoto is moving and a shaking now...

Mariners signed OF Steven Souza Jr. to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.​

The 32-year-old outfielder appeared in 17 games with the Dodgers during the 2021 season, slashing a woeful .152/.222/.333 with one homer, three RBI and a 14/2 K/BB ratio in 36 plate appearances. Souza hasn't been a productive big league player since his monster season with the Rays in 2017. He'll add depth at first base and in the outfield for the M's

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe we couldn't have traded him in a deal.

This one I don’t like at all. I liked his potential in the pen. They have 1 lefty for what seems like the entire organization unless they switch Williamson. Maybe it is being jaded but I have expected moves by now and seeing them make 2 roster moves but not having anyone legit signed blows.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Dipoto is moving and a shaking now...

Mariners signed OF Steven Souza Jr. to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.​

The 32-year-old outfielder appeared in 17 games with the Dodgers during the 2021 season, slashing a woeful .152/.222/.333 with one homer, three RBI and a 14/2 K/BB ratio in 36 plate appearances. Souza hasn't been a productive big league player since his monster season with the Rays in 2017. He'll add depth at first base and in the outfield for the M's
Dude showed some power at AAA last year in his first extended action in the minors since 2014. Good insurance policy I guess. We have an injury risk in RF. And two CF/LFers who are still mostly unknowns at the MLB level.

If Haniger continues his trend toward more power, more strikeouts, lower BA, He might hit .210 next year. He isn't as flexible of a hitter as he was when the Mariners first acquired him. Trading him is not a bad option if they can get something decent for him.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude showed some power at AAA last year in his first extended action in the minors since 2014. Good insurance policy I guess. We have an injury risk in RF. And two CF/LFers who are still mostly unknowns at the MLB level.

If Haniger continues his trend toward more power, more strikeouts, lower BA, He might hit .210 next year. He isn't as flexible of a hitter as he was when the Mariners first acquired him. Trading him is not a bad option if they can get something decent for him.
souza is a lifer....(baseball)..but he is from ..here so..its all..good..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one I don’t like at all. I liked his potential in the pen. They have 1 lefty for what seems like the entire organization unless they switch Williamson. Maybe it is being jaded but I have expected moves by now and seeing them make 2 roster moves but not having anyone legit signed blows.
where ...the mustard..gets cut.......he was ...not....time to move on..........indiana........let it go...

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very concerning. I just want an additional plan in place which doesn't hinge on getting or not getting Bryant.

Best free agent option for sure. I wouldn't go too crazy on spending for him though. A fair price, sure.

Not sure if I would, but can't argue against that either. Now Bryant way better option than giving up anything in our top 10 list for Chapman that is for sure.

My guess is we end up with McNeil and Smith from Mets in a deal. McNeil works at 3B and Smith gives us the LH outfielder Dipoto wants. I am not saying this is my wish, but I just think it will be our Plan F and we end up with it.
3 senarios
bryant....3B..normal..
story...2b..in which.....just me..but..frazier dh...but that may not be the case..../ then moore traded...which may be ok...for a mets 3B..but that is skypie
normal..conforto..added...frayley===tacoma...

frazier..2B..trade..for mets 3rd base..coforto..free agent..

or
....idk..