• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Patriots News

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots bring free agent safety J.T. Hassell in for Covid-19 testing, potential tryout​

Related: Patriots bring tight end Dominique Dafney in for Covid-19 testing, potential free agency tryout
By Bernd Buchmasser@BerndBuchmasser Sep 24, 2020, 6:00am EDT
1 Comment

Share this story​

Cleveland Browns v Pittsburgh Steelers
Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images
The New England Patriots have the maximum 53 players on their active roster and 16 more on their practice squad, but they are still keeping an eye out on potential reinforcements — or at least to update their injury emergency lists. The latest player to pop up on the team’s radar is safety J.T. Hassell, who is in Foxborough to undergo Covid-19 testing for a potential free agency tryout later during the week (per ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss).
Coming off a college career that started at South Dakota State and later saw him spend two seasons at Florida Tech, Hassell did not hear his name called during the NFL’s 2019 draft. He did find a home shortly thereafter, however, when the Cleveland Browns signed him to a three-year undrafted rookie contract. The deal allowed the 5-foot-11, 200-pound defensive back to participate in the team’s offseason workouts and later training camp and preseason.
After appearing in all four of the Browns’ exhibition contests and allowed four catches on five targets for 91 yards and a touchdown, Hassell was let go during final roster cutdowns. However, he eventually made his way back onto the team’s practice squad. In late November, he was promoted to the active roster and went on to appear in four games. Playing primarily on special teams, he registered four kicking game tackles.

Despite ending his rookie season on Cleveland’s 53-man team, Hassell was unable to carve out a role this year and was let go during roster cutdowns. The 25-year-old has remained on the open market ever since and is now trying to find a new home by leaving a positive impression on a team that has arguably the deepest defensive backfield in all of football.
Led by Devin McCourty, the Patriots’ safety group also features veterans Adrian Phillips and Terrence Brooks as well as second-round rookie Kyle Dugger. Furthermore, key special teamer Cody Davis offers additional depth. If Hassell is brought aboard following his workout, it will therefore likely be via the practice squad.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots bring free agent safety J.T. Hassell in for Covid-19 testing, potential tryout​

Related: Patriots bring tight end Dominique Dafney in for Covid-19 testing, potential free agency tryout
By Bernd Buchmasser@BerndBuchmasser Sep 24, 2020, 6:00am EDT
1 Comment

Share this story​

Cleveland Browns v Pittsburgh Steelers
Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images
The New England Patriots have the maximum 53 players on their active roster and 16 more on their practice squad, but they are still keeping an eye out on potential reinforcements — or at least to update their injury emergency lists. The latest player to pop up on the team’s radar is safety J.T. Hassell, who is in Foxborough to undergo Covid-19 testing for a potential free agency tryout later during the week (per ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss).
Coming off a college career that started at South Dakota State and later saw him spend two seasons at Florida Tech, Hassell did not hear his name called during the NFL’s 2019 draft. He did find a home shortly thereafter, however, when the Cleveland Browns signed him to a three-year undrafted rookie contract. The deal allowed the 5-foot-11, 200-pound defensive back to participate in the team’s offseason workouts and later training camp and preseason.
After appearing in all four of the Browns’ exhibition contests and allowed four catches on five targets for 91 yards and a touchdown, Hassell was let go during final roster cutdowns. However, he eventually made his way back onto the team’s practice squad. In late November, he was promoted to the active roster and went on to appear in four games. Playing primarily on special teams, he registered four kicking game tackles.

Despite ending his rookie season on Cleveland’s 53-man team, Hassell was unable to carve out a role this year and was let go during roster cutdowns. The 25-year-old has remained on the open market ever since and is now trying to find a new home by leaving a positive impression on a team that has arguably the deepest defensive backfield in all of football.
Led by Devin McCourty, the Patriots’ safety group also features veterans Adrian Phillips and Terrence Brooks as well as second-round rookie Kyle Dugger. Furthermore, key special teamer Cody Davis offers additional depth. If Hassell is brought aboard following his workout, it will therefore likely be via the practice squad.

I'm sure after the great gameour secondary had against Seattle, none of our players will give it a thought.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrews is out. Surgery Tuesday for a severely broken right thumb. He practiced Wednesday and Thursday(Tough bastard) but

Hjalte Froholdt will be in his place.​

He's a big center 6'5" 315 lbs

According to Phil Perry, he's been snapping all summer with the 2nd team offense and supposedly, he's been much better that anyone thought. Who knows. Maybe another one of those BB diamonds that needed a little polishing.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Practice-squad promotion James Ferentz, who's in his fourth season with the team, appears to be first in line to step in for Andrews on Sunday"

Ferentz brougt up for the game but I don't think that autimatically makes him the starter.

I was not ipressed with Ferentz efforts to fill Andrews shoes last year.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hjalte Froholdt
Hjalte Froholt will start at Center. Frentz is a call up just in case. His only attribute is that he has four years as a back up with the Patriots.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hjalte Froholt will start at Center. Frentz is a call up just in case. His only attribute is that he has four years as a back up with the Patriots.
Well that didn't happen

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that didn't happen
You're a bit late. I noted that in the game thread about a half hour after the game ended because I was waiting to see if anyone actually watches the game. No one did until 5:29 AM on Monday. Maybe because they read iit at 5:29 PM on Sunday?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a bit late. I noted that in the game thread about a half hour after the game ended because I was waiting to see if anyone actually watches the game. No one did until 5:29 AM on Monday. Maybe because they read iit at 5:29 PM on Sunday?
What?

1. Why would it matter to you if people actually watch the game?
2. How would them responding or not responding prove or disprove if they watched the game?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?

1. Why would it matter to you if people actually watch the game?
2. How would them responding or not responding prove or disprove if they watched the game?
You really need to go back to bed and get up on the other side.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or we watched the game and didn't care about this thread for a while.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really need to go back to bed and get up on the other side.
So you have to no answer to two simple questions. And I am somehow the problem child here?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or we watched the game and didn't care about this thread for a while.
Exactly the last thing I am going to so is post in this forum while I am watching a game. You know why? Because I am watching a game!!!

Sometime BK comes off like the 15 year old girl that tells you she has 3oo friends, all of whom are on some social network. He seems genuinely concerned with his post count

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometime BK comes off like the 15 year old girl that tells you she has 3oo friends, all of whom are on some social network. He seems genuinely concerned with his post count

I know you're not stupid, but some of your post are totally assinine.

Two reasons:

1. You let your emotions control your thoughts
2. You post without doing any research.

I have 14,000 posts since 2013 7 years approx. 2000 posts per year

You have 7300 posts since 2017 3 years approx 2400 post per year

Then again, I also post a tremendous amount of information and always give the source. Odd that more than a few people appreciate it.

I'll make you a deal. I'll stop posting and you provide all of the same information I provide from the same sources. Fair?? I'll still read the info but won't post it and leave that to you. I'll enjoy the company of my 3oo, (That's 3 oh oh, not three hundred, just as you posted.) friends. Do you have 3?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two reasons:

Then again, I also post a tremendous amount of information and always give the source. Odd that more than a few people appreciate it.

I'll make you a deal. I'll stop posting and you provide all of the same information I provide from the same sources. Fair?? I'll still read the info but won't post it and leave that to you. I'll enjoy the company of my 3oo, (That's 3 oh oh, not three hundred, just as you posted.) friends. Do you have 3?
Actually I don't get at all emotional. So you'll stop posting unsubstantiated drivel? Now stop being a pussy an answer the two questions I posed. Why is this so hard? Well, I guess it's three questions now.

Ken you post a lot of useless shit that for the most part only you really seem to care about. It's just what it is. Tell you what anytime you post one of your mostly useless posts, or unsubstantiated i'll try to point it out to you so can start self correcting.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrews is out. Surgery Tuesday for a severely broken right thumb. He practiced Wednesday and Thursday(Tough bastard) but

Hjalte Froholdt will be in his place.​

He's a big center 6'5" 315 lbs

According to Phil Perry, he's been snapping all summer with the 2nd team offense and supposedly, he's been much better that anyone thought. Who knows. Maybe another one of those BB diamonds that needed a little polishing.

Actually I don't get at all emotional. So you'll stop posting unsubstantiated drivel? Now stop being a pussy an answer the two questions I posed. Why is this so hard? Well, I guess it's three questions now.

Ken you post a lot of useless shit that for the most part only you really seem to care about. It's just what it is. Tell you what anytime you post one of your mostly useless posts, or unsubstantiated i'll try to point it out to you so can start self correcting.
Here you go, here is your first one.

Now go write a book no one will read.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two reasons:

BK - No need to make deals when we are simply dealing with oil and water. In the real world all of us have our oily or watery counterparts who we just rub the wrong way. Be honest and look yourself in the mirror. I'd expect you to like what you see, but also see something others may not. The important part is you like what YOU see.

I enjoy your most vocal critics so it's not on them, but that doesn't mean it's on you either. Keep posting as you want, but accept them doing the same...

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, more unnecessary and and unimportant news...............................

Four Patriots are eligible to come of the IR this week and play.

Damien Harris - The second-year running back finished a strong preseason on a down note as he suffered a hand injury sending him to I.R. for the first three weeks. The combination of him being out as well as James White, who is attending to family matters after a car accident killed his father and critically injured his mother, opened the door for J.J. Taylor to impress the coaching staff.
Harris is eligible to come back this week, but it’s not clear whether he’s healthy enough to return. When he and White are both back, the Patriots will have to make a call on how many running backs they’re willing to carry.
With running back injuries around the NFL, Taylor could be snapped up by somebody if the Patriots try to get him back to the practice squad.

Gunner Olszweski - The Patriots have used Taylor (one return for 11 yards) and Damiere Byrd (two returns, 0 yards and five fair catches) on punt returns so far. Olszewski, whose primary role was returning punts (20 for 179 yards) and special teams last year, figures to be in the mix when he returns while competing for an expanded receiver role. “Coming into the second year he developed his tools as a receiver and also as a punt returner and then he worked hard during camp and made some production, had some production as we move forward and unfortunately he got injured,” receivers coach Mick Lombardi said. “I’m eager with any guy who hasn’t been practicing to get out back in practice. Obviously that decision, Coach Belichick is privy to making that. I don’t get involved in that kind of business and decision. But I’m very eager like any player in my room who’s not on the practice field to get back out to the practice field.” Jakobi Meyers has one catch for seven yards and has only been on the field for just over 10 percent of the Patriots' plays in three games and doesn’t play on special teams. His roster spot could be tenuous when Olszewski returns.

Beau Allen - Signed to be a run-stopper on the defensive line to replace Danny Shelton, he was injured throughout training camp. The 28-year-old former Tampa Buccaneer and Philadelphia Eagle will have to battle his way back into a role if and when he’s healthy.

Yodny Cajuste - After spending all of 2019 on the PUP list, the offensive lineman has never been healthy in New England. If gets healthy enough to play, would the Patriots be willing to use a roster spot on someone so far behind in development? They’re already carrying seldom-used offensive line Hjalte Froholdt and Korey Cunningham. Cajuste would likely need to offer something to get back on the 53-man.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, more unnecessary and and unimportant news...............................

Four Patriots are eligible to come of the IR this week and play.

Damien Harris - The second-year running back finished a strong preseason on a down note as he suffered a hand injury sending him to I.R. for the first three weeks. The combination of him being out as well as James White, who is attending to family matters after a car accident killed his father and critically injured his mother, opened the door for J.J. Taylor to impress the coaching staff.
Harris is eligible to come back this week, but it’s not clear whether he’s healthy enough to return. When he and White are both back, the Patriots will have to make a call on how many running backs they’re willing to carry.
With running back injuries around the NFL, Taylor could be snapped up by somebody if the Patriots try to get him back to the practice squad.

Gunner Olszweski - The Patriots have used Taylor (one return for 11 yards) and Damiere Byrd (two returns, 0 yards and five fair catches) on punt returns so far. Olszewski, whose primary role was returning punts (20 for 179 yards) and special teams last year, figures to be in the mix when he returns while competing for an expanded receiver role. “Coming into the second year he developed his tools as a receiver and also as a punt returner and then he worked hard during camp and made some production, had some production as we move forward and unfortunately he got injured,” receivers coach Mick Lombardi said. “I’m eager with any guy who hasn’t been practicing to get out back in practice. Obviously that decision, Coach Belichick is privy to making that. I don’t get involved in that kind of business and decision. But I’m very eager like any player in my room who’s not on the practice field to get back out to the practice field.” Jakobi Meyers has one catch for seven yards and has only been on the field for just over 10 percent of the Patriots' plays in three games and doesn’t play on special teams. His roster spot could be tenuous when Olszewski returns.

Beau Allen - Signed to be a run-stopper on the defensive line to replace Danny Shelton, he was injured throughout training camp. The 28-year-old former Tampa Buccaneer and Philadelphia Eagle will have to battle his way back into a role if and when he’s healthy.

Yodny Cajuste - After spending all of 2019 on the PUP list, the offensive lineman has never been healthy in New England. If gets healthy enough to play, would the Patriots be willing to use a roster spot on someone so far behind in development? They’re already carrying seldom-used offensive line Hjalte Froholdt and Korey Cunningham. Cajuste would likely need to offer something to get back on the 53-man.
Well Gunner is intriguing to me. Harris may be but the way the Pats are running the ball at this time if he is not 100% healthy I say let him rest. And stop being a Drama Queen!