• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Draft & FA

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure they move Tomlin if they believe that Ben is coming back and the window is still open (which the Fitz trade implies that they do I would think). Bringing in a new coach and then handcuffing him with the previous regiems staff/system would be a mess and changing things the last 1-2 years of Ben's career and still expecting to contend...

I don't see this happening. Would love to see it. But I just don't see it.

I don't know the relationship between Ben and Tomlin that well, but I don't see them turning over staff right at the end of Ben's career when they think they have a playoff caliber team.

Tomlin would probably have to actually leave and WAS pay PIT some type of compensation.

It would be great long term for the Steelers imo, but I don't see it happening unless Mike decides to take the offer.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know the relationship between Ben and Tomlin that well, but I don't see them turning over staff right at the end of Ben's career when they think they have a playoff caliber team.

Tomlin would probably have to actually leave and WAS pay PIT some type of compensation.

It would be great long term for the Steelers imo, but I don't see it happening unless Mike decides to take the offer.
Right. Agreed.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lincoln Riley.

The End.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't like him?

Or you don't think he'd want to leave?

If I were to reach into the college ranks...the guy at Stanford comes to mind 1st....they are struggling this yr I think, but yr in yr out they produce with a version of a pro style OFC.

The coach I would really want I think just got an extension himself...he's been a whiney bitch over the refs but Sean Payton is a good HC.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of this week MIA would get the 5th overall, and PIT is looking at the 37th overall pick if they stay this bad.

Edge, TE, WR would have to be one of the positions they would be looking at. Maybe OT or DE...I would not anticipate a G or NT.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the D was picking on the poor little OFC.

My have the tables turned.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats another thing, our lines gonna start fading soon
Yep. If they ever get serious about rebuilding the offense then it will take a little bit of an overhaul on the O-line. Pouncey & Foster mainly. They have capable stopgap players in Finney & Feiler, but I don't think they should be depended on long-term. Hell, putting aside my personal feelings towards him, even AVill should be considered upgradeable. DeCastro is about the only piece that I can see as being a long-term solution. Players like AVill, Finney, Feiler & maybe Chuks will certainly bridge the transition and give them time to find all the right pieces though.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. If they ever get serious about rebuilding the offense then it will take a little bit of an overhaul on the O-line. Pouncey & Foster mainly. They have capable stopgap players in Finney & Feiler, but I don't think they should be depended on long-term. Hell, putting aside my personal feelings towards him, even AVill should be considered upgradeable. DeCastro is about the only piece that I can see as being a long-term solution. Players like AVill, Finney, Feiler & maybe Chuks will certainly bridge the transition and give them time to find all the right pieces though.
Agree 100%

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This (OL transition) obviously is a lot more dicey now with coach Munch being in DEN. As you said, the two big ones are Foster and Pouncey and Mike is not going anywhere until Ben hangs it up after 2021. AVill's contract run through '20 so it won't be long that they need to extend or upgrade LT as well.

The suitors...I was fully confident that Finney was ready to take over for Foster last year. I was very surprised when they released Fred Johnson, but being an UDFA they probably think he would clear waivers and they can get him back. Feiler...I think they will allow to test the waters and they will move Banner or Chuks into his job....it wouldn't shock me if both Banner and Chuks are the future starters, but I sense that Avill will get extended if the money is not too much.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious to see what others think of the 2020 QB class.

The 2020 QB class has been looking slightly overrated so far this year. Outside of Tua, nobody else has looked "transcendent to their pro-style offense". In other words, to be considered a top 10-15 pick as a QB means that people believe they can improve an NFL team that only won 4-5 games. And considering the position that the Steelers are in & the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade, the debate over the QB position will rage on this offseason. So does anyone really think any of the following are that type of player?:

Justin Herbert, Oregon... debatably top 20. But has no business being top 10, even for a QB-needy team. He's been largely underwhelming this year. His inconsistencies are alarming and could push him to the 2nd Rd. Lot of arm talent, but fails to use his progressions and checks down too often. Has low confidence with trusting his arm downfield. He will need a great supporting cast from top to bottom to excel at the NFL level. Needs a good coaching staff. He reminds me a lot of Josh Rosen, but a poor-man's version.

Joe Burrow, LSU... Honestly I'm more impressed with him than Herbert based on performances. But LSU's wide-open offensive attack is designed to spread the ball around and favors the QB immensely. He doesn't have the arm talent that Herbert has, but he sees the field better and displays better confidence with making contested throws. And honestly that leads me to believe he'll transition to the NFL better than Herbert. I just think he'll need the right team fit in the NFL to excel.

Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma... Another playmaker with great tangibles. But its debatable that Lincoln Riley's scheme heavily favors him. But for as much grief as Baker Mayfield gets, he still looked very impressive as a rookie and transitioned very well to the NFL out the gate. Jalen Hurts shouldn't be considered any different. He has some accuracy & decision-making concerns, but he's a confident passer with a winner's attitude. There's lots to love about him.

Jacob Eason, Washington... As far as raw talent goes, he has it all. Size, stature, mobility, arm talent (strength & accuracy), and looks to be a smart passer. If the Huskies finish strong this year and Eason shows out, then he'll make a strong case for a 1st Rd pick. But he's an inconsistent player & I have doubts about him "elevating" an offense as a rookie. IMO he'll need time to groom.

Jake Fromm, Georgia... Another QB that has the tangibles, but I think the pro-style offense makes him look better than he is. Doesn't strike me as the physically gifted type to make him a plug & play type at the NFL level. He seems to be a smarter QB in this draft class though, so there's something to be said about that. Watching film you rarely see him make an unwise throw. He has the accuracy & intelligence to become something great, but as I said, he doesn't strike me as the plug & play type in the NFL.

Jordan Love, Utah St... Lot of upside to love with his playmaking ability, but he continuously underwhelms. A poor performance against LSU probably did him in for his chances as a 1st Rd pick.

"The Year of the J's" :pound:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of NFL-readiness I'd rank them as follows:

Tier 1 (1st Rd)
1. Tua Tagovailoa

Tier 2 (1st-2nd)
2. Justin Herbert
3. Jalen Hurts
4. Joe Burrow
5. Jacob Eason
6. Jake Fromm

Tier 3 (2nd-4th)
7. KJ Costello, Stanford
8. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M
9. Jordan Love, Utah St
10. Steven Montez, Colorado

Tier 4 (5th-UDFA)
11. Nate Stanley, Iowa
12. Sam Ehlinger, Texas
13. Brian Lewerke, Mich St
14. Shea Patterson, Mich

Last edited:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious to see what others think of the 2020 QB class.

The 2020 QB class has been looking slightly overrated so far this year. Outside of Tua, nobody else has looked "transcendent to their pro-style offense". In other words, to be considered a top 10-15 pick as a QB means that people believe they can improve an NFL team that only won 4-5 games. And considering the position that the Steelers are in & the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade, the debate over the QB position will rage on this offseason. So does anyone really think any of the following are that type of player?:

Justin Herbert, Oregon... debatably top 20. But has no business being top 10, even for a QB-needy team. He's been largely underwhelming this year. His inconsistencies are alarming and could push him to the 2nd Rd. Lot of arm talent, but fails to use his progressions and checks down too often. Has low confidence with trusting his arm downfield. He will need a great supporting cast from top to bottom to excel at the NFL level. Needs a good coaching staff. He reminds me a lot of Josh Rosen, but a poor-man's version.

Joe Burrow, LSU... Honestly I'm more impressed with him than Herbert based on performances. But LSU's wide-open offensive attack is designed to spread the ball around and favors the QB immensely. He doesn't have the arm talent that Herbert has, but he sees the field better and displays better confidence with making contested throws. And honestly that leads me to believe he'll transition to the NFL better than Herbert. I just think he'll need the right team fit in the NFL to excel.

Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma... Another playmaker with great tangibles. But its debatable that Lincoln Riley's scheme heavily favors him. But for as much grief as Baker Mayfield gets, he still looked very impressive as a rookie and transitioned very well to the NFL out the gate. Jalen Hurts shouldn't be considered any different. He has some accuracy & decision-making concerns, but he's a confident passer with a winner's attitude. There's lots to love about him.

Jacob Eason, Washington... As far as raw talent goes, he has it all. Size, stature, mobility, arm talent (strength & accuracy), and looks to be a smart passer. If the Huskies finish strong this year and Eason shows out, then he'll make a strong case for a 1st Rd pick. But he's an inconsistent player & I have doubts about him "elevating" an offense as a rookie. IMO he'll need time to groom.

Jake Fromm, Georgia... Another QB that has the tangibles, but I think the pro-style offense makes him look better than he is. Doesn't strike me as the physically gifted type to make him a plug & play type at the NFL level. He seems to be a smarter QB in this draft class though, so there's something to be said about that. Watching film you rarely see him make an unwise throw. He has the accuracy & intelligence to become something great, but as I said, he doesn't strike me as the plug & play type in the NFL.

Jordan Love, Utah St... Lot of upside to love with his playmaking ability, but he continuously underwhelms. A poor performance against LSU probably did him in for his chances as a 1st Rd pick.

"The Year of the J's" :pound:

I was a little curious looking at this list and not seeing Tua initially.

Speaking on the guys I've seen play.

Fromm...imo he'll be a little better as a pro. I'm not saying he will be good at the next level, but at UGA, Kirby Smart is trying to win the old school way...run it, run it, the occasional pass, and play DEF. Last week vs FL was his 1st game I remember this season where the passing game was feature. Just avg size....probably will not be a 1st round pick this year unless UGA makes a run. If that holds true, there's a chance he comes back for his Sr yr.

Side note...Eason got hurt in his 2nd or 3rd game at UGA, in comes Fromm and Eason couldn't get back on the field.

I'd take Rudolph over both of them.

Burrow...only seen him twice this yr. Total change in OFC philosophy has made Joe Burrow into an NFL prospect almost overnight. Like his size...good chance he is a 1st round.

50/50 over Rudolph.

Hurts/Tua...Tua is getting all the accolades as the potential #1 overall pick. An aggressive passer, mobile, but not really a "runner"...imo will get picked (INTs) a lot early in the NFL until he learns the speed of DEFs.

Hurts...I haven't seen him as a Sooner yet, but clearly he's hit the ground running at OKLA...Imo...Hurts will get a shot probably to start in the NFL, but will not be a 1st round pick.

If either of these guys can learn the NFL game quickly and use their legs when needed vs a regular weapon...say like Russell Wilson, they could be impact players. But neither are Lamar Jackson like as runners...if they try to mimic his game they won't last long.

While it looked like it could happen after 3 weeks, but imo PIT was ever going to be in the top 5 pick and even if they were, I don't think they would've taken a QB.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a little curious looking at this list and not seeing Tua initially.

Speaking on the guys I've seen play.

Fromm...imo he'll be a little better as a pro. I'm not saying he will be good at the next level, but at UGA, Kirby Smart is trying to win the old school way...run it, run it, the occasional pass, and play DEF. Last week vs FL was his 1st game I remember this season where the passing game was feature. Just avg size....probably will not be a 1st round pick this year unless UGA makes a run. If that holds true, there's a chance he comes back for his Sr yr.

Side note...Eason got hurt in his 2nd or 3rd game at UGA, in comes Fromm and Eason couldn't get back on the field.

I'd take Rudolph over both of them.

Burrow...only seen him twice this yr. Total change in OFC philosophy has made Joe Burrow into an NFL prospect almost overnight. Like his size...good chance he is a 1st round.

50/50 over Rudolph.

Hurts/Tua...Tua is getting all the accolades as the potential #1 overall pick. An aggressive passer, mobile, but not really a "runner"...imo will get picked (INTs) a lot early in the NFL until he learns the speed of DEFs.

Hurts...I haven't seen him as a Sooner yet, but clearly he's hit the ground running at OKLA...Imo...Hurts will get a shot probably to start in the NFL, but will not be a 1st round pick.

If either of these guys can learn the NFL game quickly and use their legs when needed vs a regular weapon...say like Russell Wilson, they could be impact players. But neither are Lamar Jackson like as runners...if they try to mimic his game they won't last long.

While it looked like it could happen after 3 weeks, but imo PIT was ever going to be in the top 5 pick and even if they were, I don't think they would've taken a QB.
Good notes. I guess what I was trying to get at was fuel the debate to see who people thought WOULD have been their target. Because from what I’ve seen, none of those guys appear to be the salvation franchise caliber player they speak of when talking about the Steelers losing out on a QB.

FWIW I agree that I don’t think the Steelers would have gone QB if they kept the pick. Quite honestly I think they still stand a tremendous chance of picking up someone from that list above in the 2nd round if they indeed want to go that route. Not sayin they should or will, but just for the Minkah trade argument’s sake.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the season is going on...the Steelers 1st pick of the '20 draft is starting to take shape. Maybe they can find a playmaking TE, but RB has to be on their minds as well. Conner really needs to finish out the season strong imo or that position could become a bigger need. IMO, Snell is not a feature back, but can be effective as a RB2.

TEs of early note that could be on the board in the 2nd rd.

Albert Okwuegbunam*, TE, Missouri

Jared Pinkney, TE, Vanderbilt

Cheyenne O'Grady, TE, Arkansas

RBs...I'd love Deandre Swift, but he's probably going mid to late 1st rd.

Jonathan Taylor*, RB, Wisconsin

J.K. Dobbins*, RB, Ohio State

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OLB...quite a few 2nd rd or later guys at this position.

Yeter Gross-Matos, Penn St....has ideal size, will need to develop more as a pass rusher

Jon Greenard, 3-4OLB, Florida...Saw him in the UGA game most recently...will likely be a starter, not just a one move rusher.

Terrell Lewis, Bama...like him too, but harder to project Bama edge LBs because the team is normally stacked with talent at DT.