• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to really react to a lineup this depleted. Hart needs to play better against the Bruins. The defense has holes right now. The PP and PK are struggling.

The Flyers are a talented team, they're just not firing on all cylinders right now. The PP/PK has been a problem for a while and is honestly my biggest concern. They'll be fine up front when some of these guys get back. I fully expect them to make a deal for a top 4 dman to bring some stability there. And Hart should be fine. His numbers against 'not the Bruins' have been good. I'm not going to panic over an outdoor game with a few soft goals. They showed some pictures from the crease and picking up the puck on with that backdrop would be challenging. Yes, other goalies seemed to handle it better, but it's not like outdoor games are going to be make or break ever.

Definitely need to add a dman. And I'm open to an NHL player for NHL player deal to shake things up a little bit. But the roster isn't critically flawed.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to really react to a lineup this depleted. Hart needs to play better against the Bruins. The defense has holes right now. The PP and PK are struggling.

The Flyers are a talented team, they're just not firing on all cylinders right now. The PP/PK has been a problem for a while and is honestly my biggest concern. They'll be fine up front when some of these guys get back. I fully expect them to make a deal for a top 4 dman to bring some stability there. And Hart should be fine. His numbers against 'not the Bruins' have been good. I'm not going to panic over an outdoor game with a few soft goals. They showed some pictures from the crease and picking up the puck on with that backdrop would be challenging. Yes, other goalies seemed to handle it better, but it's not like outdoor games are going to be make or break ever.

Definitely need to add a dman. And I'm open to an NHL player for NHL player deal to shake things up a little bit. But the roster isn't critically flawed.
With the team playing on all cylinders we lost 4 straight to Boston. So being fine up front is just playing for 2nd place in our division. I understand not panicking about the game last night but we still lost to Boston 6-1 with all of our players.

If we make a trade for a top 4 DMan who goes the other way that we dont need to win games?

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If G, Jake and TK aren’t on fire when they come back, I won’t know what to think. They have got to be going crazy watching these games on TV. I would be.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the team playing on all cylinders we lost 4 straight to Boston. So being fine up front is just playing for 2nd place in our division. I understand not panicking about the game last night but we still lost to Boston 6-1 with all of our players.

If we make a trade for a top 4 DMan who goes the other way that we dont need to win games?
Jake

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think they've been firing on all cylinders yet this year. I don't think they've been particularly close tbh. The Flyers have been a slow starting team with this core for a long time. The fact that they picked up a lot of wins while slow starting is a great sign. Once they really get going, like they did for a 2 month stretch last year, they should be a really difficult team to beat.

The matchup with the Bruins is a problem. Clearly. But, the outdoor game with a depleted lineup barely counts. They lost 3 of the other games by 1 goal, and had leads in all 3 of them. Blowing leads is the real problem, not the Bruins. 6-1 games happen to even the best teams.

Like others have said, the Flyers had no problem with the Bruins last year. The Flyers lost Niskanen. The Bruins lost Chara and Krug. There's no reason the tables should have turned so dramatically. If anything, the Bruins lost more than the Flyers did. I'm willing to say some of this is just weird luck or the Flyers just struggling out of the gate like they always do.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1st round pick and prospects. I'd rather not move York or Brink because I think they're key pieces to the future of the Flyers when they can't afford the team they have now. For example, I like guys like Farabee, Lindblom, Sanheim, Myers, and Patrick. But if they do all continue to get better (it's never a straight line), they won't be able to keep them all. Guys like Brink/York represent the replacements for those guys IMO.

But has enough sheen worn off of Frost to consider dealing him and giving him a shot in an NHL lineup that's not quite as deep? Is there really a spot for Zamula in the near future where it makes a difference? Andrae we mentioned before, by your eye he didn't have a good WJC, but he's been OK in Sweden and was drafted that high for a reason. Is Foerster someone that moves the needle for them in the near future?

I wouldn't sacrifice all those guys, but some of them will have to be moved to make the NHL team better. And if the right deal comes around for a bonafide #1 dman but it takes York to get him. Then so be it. We're at the stage to start going for it. Some of the future will have to be sacrificed. The key is to make the right deals. If you're giving up big chips, it better be for big players. Not guys you're hoping will turn into something. Or someone you hope will eek out a couple more elite years before the decline really hits.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the very few players we have with offensive skill? Not to mention it will be a lot more than Jake for a top pair dman
I don’t think there’s any Flyer that strikes offensive fear in any opposing team.

how is it we can’t get behind mcavoy in any way shape or form. That asshole is a constant 4th forward against us. Can’t stand it.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st round pick and prospects. I'd rather not move York or Brink because I think they're key pieces to the future of the Flyers when they can't afford the team they have now. For example, I like guys like Farabee, Lindblom, Sanheim, Myers, and Patrick. But if they do all continue to get better (it's never a straight line), they won't be able to keep them all. Guys like Brink/York represent the replacements for those guys IMO.

But has enough sheen worn off of Frost to consider dealing him and giving him a shot in an NHL lineup that's not quite as deep? Is there really a spot for Zamula in the near future where it makes a difference? Andrae we mentioned before, by your eye he didn't have a good WJC, but he's been OK in Sweden and was drafted that high for a reason. Is Foerster someone that moves the needle for them in the near future?

I wouldn't sacrifice all those guys, but some of them will have to be moved to make the NHL team better. And if the right deal comes around for a bonafide #1 dman but it takes York to get him. Then so be it. We're at the stage to start going for it. Some of the future will have to be sacrificed. The key is to make the right deals. If you're giving up big chips, it better be for big players. Not guys you're hoping will turn into something. Or someone you hope will eek out a couple more elite years before the decline really hits.
Nothing here moves the needle to make another team want to give us a top pair Dman, not to mention we dont have any cap money to take on a top pair dman without salary going the other way.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think there’s any Flyer that strikes offensive fear in any opposing team.

how is it we can’t get behind mcavoy in any way shape or form. That asshole is a constant 4th forward against us. Can’t stand it.

JvR this season :thumb:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing here moves the needle to make another team want to give us a top pair Dman, not to mention we dont have any cap money to take on a top pair dman without salary going the other way.

The roster is a mess right now with the COVID stuff, but pre-COVID, they were on track to be able to add ~ 7M in cap hit at the deadline. That's enough to add a top pair d-man.

And the Flyers could absolutely put a package together of picks/prospects to add a top pair defenseman. Or at least a top 4 dman which would make a big impact.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a rumor that recently came up here in Buffalo that with the Sabres struggling again, they may be possibly looking to shop Jack Eichel. That would be interesting. I would imagine that would cost a ton. Still think we are good with forwards and need to add a physical dman.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a rumor that recently came up here in Buffalo that with the Sabres struggling again, they may be possibly looking to shop Jack Eichel. That would be interesting. I would imagine that would cost a ton. Still think we are good with forwards and need to add a physical dman.

Agreed. Eichel would be super fun, and I'd be down with the Flyers trying. But they're just not a fit. Couturier is 1C. Hayes has a NMC. And you can't afford to go Couturier, Hayes, Eichel down the middle. Unless they're sending Couturier the other way which would be take some serious cajones, I just don't see a fit.

The need is on D.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The roster is a mess right now with the COVID stuff, but pre-COVID, they were on track to be able to add ~ 7M in cap hit at the deadline. That's enough to add a top pair d-man.

And the Flyers could absolutely put a package together of picks/prospects to add a top pair defenseman. Or at least a top 4 dman which would make a big impact.
I just looked at cap friendly and we have 310K in cap space.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eichel would be great to have but that wouldnt solve our defense problems

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked at cap friendly and we have 310K in cap space.

That's with Sushko, Andreoff, Friedman, and Morin on the roster. Plus the COVID guys. Plus Frost who is on IR, not LTIR. Capfriendly updates daily and projects that through the end of the season. That's why I said it's all messed up due to COVID.

It's probably less than 7M now because they've had to spend more of the daily cap the past 2 weeks, but they had banked some and will go back to banking money each day once this COVID stuff is over.

For example, say they spent $100 today on salaries and the cap was $110. If it were a 2 day season, they could technically spend $120 on the cap tomorrow ($110 of the daily cap, + $10 they saved today). That's how teams end up having more money to spend at the deadline. So when they send Sushko, Andreoff, Friedman, and Morin back down, they'll essentially bank their daily cap space each day until the deadline. That accumulation is where the spending money comes from at the deadline.

And I think at that point they would put Frost on LTIR and be able to exceed by his amount (not a lot, but every penny!). Teams that dip into LTIR can exceed the cap, but cannot bank any cap space. So they'll wait until the deadline when banking cap space doesn't matter anymore.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's with Sushko, Andreoff, Friedman, and Morin on the roster. Plus the COVID guys. Plus Frost who is on IR, not LTIR. Capfriendly updates daily and projects that through the end of the season. That's why I said it's all messed up due to COVID.

It's probably less than 7M now because they've had to spend more of the daily cap the past 2 weeks, but they had banked some and will go back to banking money each day once this COVID stuff is over.

For example, say they spent $100 today on salaries and the cap was $110. If it were a 2 day season, they could technically spend $120 on the cap tomorrow ($110 of the daily cap, + $10 they saved today). That's how teams end up having more money to spend at the deadline. So when they send Sushko, Andreoff, Friedman, and Morin back down, they'll essentially bank their daily cap space each day until the deadline. That accumulation is where the spending money comes from at the deadline.

And I think at that point they would put Frost on LTIR and be able to exceed by his amount (not a lot, but every penny!). Teams that dip into LTIR can exceed the cap, but cannot bank any cap space. So they'll wait until the deadline when banking cap space doesn't matter anymore.
This would be great but it is assuming we never have another injury or covid case so its pretty much throwing up a hail Mary 15 games into the season.
Could you also point out where it would say this information of the cap friendly page please