• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we have to overpay for him so be it. If we are going to go for it lets do it.

Gus, Frost, 2022 1st and Andrae make it happen.

Eckholm only gets $3.75 for the next btwo season after this one.

I would consider with your offer. My concern with the original deal is the potential for it to become two 1sts. IMO, you should only trade two 1sts when you're trying to go from contender to favorite. It's not just the draft pick that's the problem, you're basically using your biggest trade deadline bargaining chip for the next 2 years if you deal 2 first round picks. The guy coming back for that HAS to put you in the 'favorite' category.

I like this team a lot, obviously. But I'm not ready to say Ekholm gets them to cup favorite in 2021. And the expansion draft looms too large to say it makes them a contender in 2021 and possibly a favorite in 2022 if you assume some young guy development. They could lose Ekholm in it. They could lose Sanhiem or Myers in it. Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek/JvR would be in the discussion if they protected 4 dmen. They might try to trade assets to steer SEA a certain way. It's too unpredictable.

I'm willing to overpay for Ekholm to get him. But I'm not willing to use up a big chunk of their trade pieces for the next two years to get him while the expansion draft sits out there. And I don't want to have rebuilt for 5 years to spend everything on one lottery ticket.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would consider with your offer. My concern with the original deal is the potential for it to become two 1sts. IMO, you should only trade two 1sts when you're trying to go from contender to favorite. It's not just the draft pick that's the problem, you're basically using your biggest trade deadline bargaining chip for the next 2 years if you deal 2 first round picks. The guy coming back for that HAS to put you in the 'favorite' category.

I like this team a lot, obviously. But I'm not ready to say Ekholm gets them to cup favorite in 2021. And the expansion draft looms too large to say it makes them a contender in 2021 and possibly a favorite in 2022 if you assume some young guy development. They could lose Ekholm in it. They could lose Sanhiem or Myers in it. Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek/JvR would be in the discussion if they protected 4 dmen. They might try to trade assets to steer SEA a certain way. It's too unpredictable.

I'm willing to overpay for Ekholm to get him. But I'm not willing to use up a big chunk of their trade pieces for the next two years to get him while the expansion draft sits out there. And I don't want to have rebuilt for 5 years to spend everything on one lottery ticket.
As far as the expansion draft we should protect 4 d men let JVR get taken and have that 7 million to use elsewhere.

As far as my trade goes its not too much to give up to get a top pair defenseman

As far as you saying we should go for it this year in several posts and then back tracking in the last few posts..Should we go for it this year or not?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the expansion draft we should protect 4 d men let JVR get taken and have that 7 million to use elsewhere.

As far as my trade goes its not too much to give up to get a top pair defenseman

As far as you saying we should go for it this year in several posts and then back tracking in the last few posts..Should we go for it this year or not?

You can go for it without giving up everything for one guy. You're painting in black and white. The best team doesn't win the cup every year. If you empty the chamber on Ekholm and lose in the conference finals this year, then what? You lose a meaningful piece in the expansion draft, you're weaker next year, and you're short handed to make trades because you already used your 1st rounder.

And if you protect 4 D, you have to protect Giroux and Hayes because they have NMC. Couturier and TK are no brainers. If they take JvR, that might work out (though he's been one of the Flyers best forwards this year, so that could still be a huge loss). But they could also take Lindblom, Laughton, or Patrick instead. So then you're giving up two 1st round picks, Frost, Gus, and JvR/Lindblom/Laughton/Patrick to make a run with Ekholm.

Acquiring Ekholm has a huge impact on the Flyers down the road due to the expansion draft. So you have to take that into consideration when you "go for it" and acquire him. All I'm saying is setting yourself up to lose two 1st round picks in that deal is too rich for my blood. If it's Andrae instead of a 2nd that could turn into a 1st like you proposed, I'm more interested in that.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can go for it without giving up everything for one guy. You're painting in black and white. The best team doesn't win the cup every year. If you empty the chamber on Ekholm and lose in the conference finals this year, then what? You lose a meaningful piece in the expansion draft, you're weaker next year, and you're short handed to make trades because you already used your 1st rounder.

And if you protect 4 D, you have to protect Giroux and Hayes because they have NMC. Couturier and TK are no brainers. If they take JvR, that might work out (though he's been one of the Flyers best forwards this year, so that could still be a huge loss). But they could also take Lindblom, Laughton, or Patrick instead. So then you're giving up two 1st round picks, Frost, Gus, and JvR/Lindblom/Laughton/Patrick to make a run with Ekholm.

Acquiring Ekholm has a huge impact on the Flyers down the road due to the expansion draft. So you have to take that into consideration when you "go for it" and acquire him. All I'm saying is setting yourself up to lose two 1st round picks in that deal is too rich for my blood. If it's Andrae instead of a 2nd that could turn into a 1st like you proposed, I'm more interested in that.
Great lets not do anything and stay middle of the road and never win a cup. We have gone almost 50 years without a cup its time to go for , it at all cosst .What happens if we empty the chamber and dont lose in the conference finals and WIN the cup. Id trade 2 number 1's Frost Gus JVR/Lindblom/Laughton/Patrick for a cup any day of the week. What happens if we dont make the move and lose in the conference finals or earlier like we have been doing for 46 years

.You automatically say we will not win and dont think of the fact we may win.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great lets not do anything and stay middle of the road and never win a cup. We have gone almost 50 years without a cup its time to go for , it at all cosst .What happens if we empty the chamber and dont lose in the conference finals and WIN the cup. Id trade 2 number 1's Frost Gus JVR/Lindblom/Laughton/Patrick for a cup any day of the week. What happens if we dont make the move and lose in the conference finals or earlier like we have been doing for 46 years

.You automatically say we will not win and dont think of the fact we may win.

I don't even know why I bother man. You barely even read what I type. Where did I say they should do nothing? There's a HUGE difference between doing nothing and trading every useful asset you have for 1 player. Get a grip.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know why I bother man. You barely even read what I type. Where did I say they should do nothing? There's a HUGE difference between doing nothing and trading every useful asset you have for 1 player. Get a grip.
So where is your suggestion to help us win a cup. All you do is say what you wouldnt do and say if we do what we have the opportunity to do now we wont win with that move. Its time to win a cup and not worry about keeping us in the middle of the road for the next 5 years. Its like youre happy to be just good and not be the best and win a cup.If anyone needs to get a grip its you so you can actually want to win a cup.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where is your suggestion to help us win a cup. All you do is say what you wouldnt do and say if we do what we have the opportunity to do now we wont win with that move. Its time to win a cup and not worry about keeping us in the middle of the road for the next 5 years. Its like youre happy to be just good and not be the best and win a cup.If anyone needs to get a grip its you so you can actually want to win a cup.

Are you serious? Like 3 posts up I said I would make the trade you suggested. Gus, Frost, 1st, Andrae for Ekholm (which is still an overpay IMO, but I like the Ekholm fit). I also said I would do Ghost, 1st, 2nd for Ekholm. Over the weekend when I first mentioned Ekholm I talked about a 1st + a depth guy + one of Zamula/Andrea/Allison/Cates. The last of which is actually grounded in reality because it matches the return the Kings got for Muzzin who was a very similar player in a similar situation.

I also talked about Hjalmarsson, Demers, Ristolainen as guys I would be interested in. You shot down Colin Miller, but I'd consider him also.

I've made like 25 posts on who the Flyers should be looking at in the past 3 weeks.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nashville is serious about blowing it up, I would trade Gus, Frost, and two 1st round picks for Josi. Probably need to sweeten it more and the cap doesn’t work, but I’d unload the chamber for Josi and have him/Prov anchor the defense for the Flyers’ cup window.

If you’re going to give up a lot, get a lot.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol You can't just throw everything at the Cup every single year. After a couple years of that, you would suddenly be locked in rebuilding mode and not even be in serious contention for many years. All of that just to make a couple runs at it that do not guarantee any return at all.

Plus, as has been stated, if we acquire anything more than a rental, that player will likely be left exposed in the expansion draft, which is a complete waste.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nashville is serious about blowing it up, I would trade Gus, Frost, and two 1st round picks for Josi. Probably need to sweeten it more and the cap doesn’t work, but I’d unload the chamber for Josi and have him/Prov anchor the defense for the Flyers’ cup window.

If you’re going to give up a lot, get a lot.
See now thats a plan i can get behind. Im just tired of keeping the same players and not being a threat for the cup every year. Ridding the upper middle is just as good as being last if we dont have a shot to win a cup.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope Gee can keep up the pace he played with the other night. It was refreshing to see us play up and down the ice with pace.

We do play with that pace every so often but it disappears soon after for some reason.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that Nashville is going to protect Josi Ellis and Fabbro.

We do need someone with a cup win so how about Letang?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope Gee can keep up the pace he played with the other night. It was refreshing to see us play up and down the ice with pace.

We do play with that pace every so often but it disappears soon after for some reason.

I agree with that. That was a vintage G performance. Really hoping he keeps that up or at least brings it on a regular basis in the playoffs.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that Nashville is going to protect Josi Ellis and Fabbro.

We do need someone with a cup win so how about Letang?

Ya, that's the likely path for Nashville. I don't really expect Josi to be available for a deal. But that list is also what makes Ekholm likely to move. Just a matter of who the Flyers are bidding against and what they're willing to give up.

Man, I would puke a few times each night if they got Letang. But for a long stretch of the Pens dominance he was such a key factor. We'll see if Purdue's prediction about them selling comes true.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans getting ready to come back to the games in Philly. Looking to get 5K in the stand in March.

Id love to get fans back at home games.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with Awaz, I would like to get a decent rental, but at this point I def don't want to give up too much. This is a Fletcher problem, he had ample opportunity to address this in the off season and what does he do? Brings in Gustafsson and some other ancient player to fill the void. If we can get Ekholm for cheap I'd be cool with that to. Fletcher inadequate management has painted us into this corner. Also the fact that 5 out of our current 6 dmen have absolutely 0 heart isn't helping either. Big no on Letang, he's hurt and he's passed his prime= no help. I say it's gonna be a wait until the off season, dump JVR and use that salary to attract somebody.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans getting ready to come back to the games in Philly. Looking to get 5K in the stand in March.

Id love to get fans back at home games.
I hear that, my buddies sister and brother in law still work for the Avs and first chance I get I'm going baby!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with Awaz, I would like to get a decent rental, but at this point I def don't want to give up too much. This is a Fletcher problem, he had ample opportunity to address this in the off season and what does he do? Brings in Gustafsson and some other ancient player to fill the void. If we can get Ekholm for cheap I'd be cool with that to. Fletcher inadequate management has painted us into this corner. Also the fact that 5 out of our current 6 dmen have absolutely 0 heart isn't helping either. Big no on Letang, he's hurt and he's passed his prime= no help. I say it's gonna be a wait until the off season, dump JVR and use that salary to attract somebody.
Awesome lets let our 47th season in a row without a cup just waste away without a care in the world. When should we go for it around 2030 or 2040 ?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome lets let our 47th season in a row without a cup just waste away without a care in the world. When should we go for it around 2030 or 2040 ?
Do you honestly think this team is a cup contender with Ekholm? He ain't that good and the rest of our D core sux balls. We need a huge defensive reload in the off season or we'll never even sniff it.