• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-2021-2022-2023-2024 NFL thread

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also a question for those that don't like the OT rule:

Let's say both teams get a possession. The Chiefs score a TD then the Bills score a TD. Then the Chiefs move the ball 40 yards and kick a long FG to win - are you any less unhappy with that series of events?

Pretty much the same to me
Really the easy solution would have been the Bills stopping them to at least a FG, and they didn't.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good clock management :noidea:

Really the easy solution would have been the Bills stopping them to at least a FG, and they didn't.

On the kick off with 13 seconds left- why not a squib kick or even a regular returnable kick? Minimum 3-4 seconds. If they break it for 30 yards the time eaten up more than makes up for the yardage. If its returned for a winning TD, then everyone asks why they kicked a returnable kick :-)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the kick off with 13 seconds left- why not a squib kick or even a regular returnable kick? Minimum 3-4 seconds. If they break it for 30 yards the time eaten up more than makes up for the yardage. If its returned for a winning TD, then everyone asks why they kicked a returnable kick :-)
Yup, I think a squib kick would have taken a few seconds off the clock which could have a made a big difference. But that's not really the debate right, I mean if a baseball game goes into extra innings, the home team gets a chance to respond if the visitors score some runs. We can go back and forth on this all day, but the current rules are what they are and both teams are fully aware of what they needed to do. The Chiefs prevailed in the end and congrats to them.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this makes sense

Essentially the FG rule extended. It would make sense.
The one part this wouldn't address is the defensive TD, kick return for a TD and safety rule.
Assuming if you turn over the ball on a pick 6/fumble for TD or a safety the game is over along with an opening kick off for a TD?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one part this wouldn't address is the defensive TD, kick return for a TD and safety rule.
Assuming if you turn over the ball on a pick 6/fumble for TD or a safety the game is over along with an opening kick off for a TD?

would the games really go that long if they just played until someone didnt score?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would the games really go that long if they just played until someone didnt score?
So really like the College FB rule?
But that was the second part of my question. If you turn it over and the team scores (IE…pick 6 or fumble for a TD) or the team winning the coin toss returns the opening kick-off should that end the game? I would say yes, but really they would need to draw a line in the sand on what is considered "fair".

I really have no gripe with the way the Chiefs won, my only thing is for the regular season. Eliminate the possibility of a tie and make sure there is a guaranteed winner.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So really like the College FB rule?
But that was the second part of my question. If you turn it over and the team scores (IE…pick 6 or fumble for a TD) or the team winning the coin toss returns the opening kick-off should that end the game? I would say yes, but really they would need to draw a line in the sand on what is considered "fair".

I really have no gripe with the way the Chiefs won, my only thing is for the regular season. Eliminate the possibility of a tie and make sure there is a guaranteed winner.
I would be broken if I was a Bills fan

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
imho, defense score wins the game (TD or safety)
opening kickoff return is just a TD, same extra point requirements as above.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s not like obj got $750k upfront - that’s his pro rated wages. Spread that out over the weekly payouts he gets. He’s getting paid in bitcoin for his weekly payments - price of bitcoin drops he gets more of it as his wages can buy more. Sure, he’s getting taxed on $750k but will have bitcoin worth about $600k when it all shakes out. If he holds on to that bitcoin and let’s it appreciate again he won’t have lost anything. Right now it’s a paper loss. Rovell should know better.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be broken if I was a Bills fan
Yeah I don’t blame them. But really their execution on defense is what got them in that situation in the first place. Letting them tie with only 13 seconds left is awful.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s not like obj got $750k upfront - that’s his pro rated wages. Spread that out over the weekly payouts he gets. He’s getting paid in bitcoin for his weekly payments - price of bitcoin drops he gets more of it as his wages can buy more. Sure, he’s getting taxed on $750k but will have bitcoin worth about $600k when it all shakes out. If he holds on to that bitcoin and let’s it appreciate again he won’t have lost anything. Right now it’s a paper loss. Rovell should know better.
Curious how would he get $600k in Bitcoin?

Are saying he takes his after tax dollars and invests in the coins at the lower rate with the hope they do come back up in value? What if they don’t?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don’t blame them. But really their execution on defense is what got them in that situation in the first place. Letting them tie with only 13 seconds left is awful.

its how I feel on how Dallas ended their own season. they put themselves in that spot. not the rules or the ref. that was all on them.... still pisses me off tho

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@dash we went to a couple pubs after and I bought every Sask fan I saw a jug of beer for their table.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, I think a squib kick would have taken a few seconds off the clock which could have a made a big difference. But that's not really the debate right, I mean if a baseball game goes into extra innings, the home team gets a chance to respond if the visitors score some runs. We can go back and forth on this all day, but the current rules are what they are and both teams are fully aware of what they needed to do. The Chiefs prevailed in the end and congrats to them.
Oh I am not meaning to argue with you, hope it doesn't seem that way. I just think the current method is fair or close to it. And in any other scenario floated that keeps defense important in OT, I dont see Buffalo winning.

I am fine with a tweak allowing both teams to have a possession then sudden death. I think the Chiefs still win in that system.

I just do not want matching possession in perpetuity. And I do not want the ball placed on the 25 or 30, that diminishes the importance of defense and special teams too much IMO.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I am not meaning to argue with you, hope it doesn't seem that way. I just think the current method is fair or close to it. And in any other scenario floated that keeps defense important in OT, I dont see Buffalo winning.

I am fine with a tweak allowing both teams to have a possession then sudden death. I think the Chiefs still win in that system.

I just do not want matching possession in perpetuity. And I do not want the ball placed on the 25 or 30, that diminishes the importance of defense and special teams too much IMO.

All good, buddy. Maybe it all evens out in the end if you play the game long enough.