• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very weird baseball market. Harper and Machado still unsigned waitingrhe elusive yet once not unusual 10 year contract. Teams valuing prospects more and older established players less in the post steroid era. Teams are not choosing to compete and tank and stil profit from revenue sharing. More owners seem to be in business to only profit and not compete.

And yet we wonder why there is still not a market or trade for Choo.

It's a different climate but take heart we could be paying Albert P or Chris Davis

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Maz played 1b before? No one should be guaranteed a start.:nono:
I always remember when Wash guaranteed I think Broussard as our starting 1B and what a bum he was. Hit around .150 then they finally canned him. Competition needs to happen to push guys to be their best.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very weird baseball market. Harper and Machado still unsigned waitingrhe elusive yet once not unusual 10 year contract. Teams valuing prospects more and older established players less in the post steroid era. Teams are not choosing to compete and tank and stil profit from revenue sharing. More owners seem to be in business to only profit and not compete.

It's a different climate but take heart we could be paying Albert P or Chris Davis
Those 10 year contracts need to be killed off. That is way too much to expect a team to receive value on the dollar for that length of time. Too many things can happen on the negative side of things. Of course if the player excels the whole 10 years then you are paying below the norm the last 4-5 years. But that is going to be rare and then you are stuck.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The reasons that are keeping guys like Machado and Harper from signing are not really in play when it comes to trading for players like Choo. That was even more so last trade deadline.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read where he has the fastest bat speed on team and has Dodger/Woodward connection. Going to be hard not to give him a legit shot this year. I just hope the best players play
I don't necessarily hope the best players play. I hope the players who have the chance of helping us most between 2021 and 2025 are the ones playing as soon as they are able to play up here. Let's get the acclimation process out of the way while the W-L record doesn't matter. For example, it wouldn't matter to me if we traded Choo and he hit better after being traded than Calhoun.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s unfortunate for us.

When we were trying to compete, a lot of other teams were as well. There was a good market for free agents and teams were willing to trade prospects.

Now, When we’re trying to rebuild, a lot of other teams suddenly want to tank ( I blame the Astros for that trend). Free agents are having a tough time getting contracts and teams are trying to hoard prospects.

In hindsight, we would’ve had an easier time rebuilding if we started a few years prior while a bunch of othe teams were willing to make deals and try to compete.

The rangers will have to figure something out because it seems like it’s harder to build a team right now compared to a few years ago.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s unfortunate for us.

When we were trying to compete, a lot of other teams were as well. There was a good market for free agents and teams were willing to trade prospects.

Now, When we’re trying to rebuild, a lot of other teams suddenly want to tank ( I blame the Astros for that trend). Free agents are having a tough time getting contracts and teams are trying to hoard prospects.

In hindsight, we would’ve had an easier time rebuilding if we started a few years prior while a bunch of othe teams were willing to make deals and try to compete.

The rangers will have to figure something out because it seems like it’s harder to build a team right now compared to a few years ago.
We really don't have anyone who could bring back any significant prospects.

I think it would be a good idea to sign one of the better free agents still on the market to a one year deal and then flip him at the deadline. The Rangers don't seem willing to spend the money that it would require to make that strategy work though.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s unfortunate for us.

It is unfortunate to be a mid market team in this age of free agency and revenue sharing where teams have been rewarded for tanking and large markets can outspend to win a WS

Cubs tanked too and Rays have to trade established players because they can't afford to keep them. Rangers had a time where they tried to take an advantage in the international market and that was taken away

The system is broke and it is not an even playing field

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is unfortunate to be a mid market team in this age of free agency and revenue sharing where teams have been rewarded for tanking and large markets can outspend to win a WS

Cubs tanked too and Rays have to trade established players because they can't afford to keep them. Rangers had a time where they tried to take an advantage in the international market and that was taken away

The new stadium will only sell tickets so long.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We aren't a mid market team.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big contracts that went south on us may have a lot as to why.
Our problem has always been the owners & FO think that one big move will solve our problems like AROD and Choo. I am waiting for that to happen again.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We act like one

We act like this we don't have the resources of New York, Boston LA or Phillie .......because we don't. But if on this board we are splitting hairs the yes we are a bigger market than most. (Forbes ranks us 13). If you think the owners are more bottom line guys vs a Cuban type guy who lives to bring a championship to the city, I don't think I could refute that. Would love to sign a guy like Manny or wait and get Arredondo but our team never flirts with the luxury tax like some.

But my point is things are messed up. Sports should NEVER be played to lose. It is bad ethics. Sandbagging should not be rewarded. Remember the Astros total team salary only a few years ago. They were a AAA Team playing in MLB.

You have every right to disagree or try to poke holes and there are exceptions like midseason moves. Just my little thought

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned we aren't the only team with bad contracts. Choo is an overpay but at least he produces. Plenty of other teams with bad contracts......................of course Calhoun is the guy I am most interested in and I don't know how he gets consistent reps but sure hope he does. I don't think he has anything else to prove in AAA