• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine Maz a better 1st baseman than Guzman.
Whoever plays there has to produce at the plate to stay there. That is why everyone was anxious to move on from Mitch. There is some question if Guzman can hit enough.

We do have a couple of young good hitting 1B who may be ready in a couple of years.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever plays there has to produce at the plate to stay there. That is why everyone was anxious to move on from Mitch. There is some question if Guzman can hit enough.

We do have a couple of young good hitting 1B who may be ready in a couple of years.
I think Guzman needs more time to prove he can hit. I think his approach and swing are very good so given time he will as he has in other classifications when given time. We have a habit of the grass is always greener with players. Not saying this directly to you Saddles but many Ranger fans are that way.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you see that at?
Heard on 105.3 from someone who covers the Rangers. He said several very reliable sources told him that Maz had told the Rangers he will not even consider moving to first. I'm willing to bet it was because him Guzman are friends.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Guzman needs more time to prove he can hit. I think his approach and swing are very good so given time he will as he has in other classifications when given time. We have a habit of the grass is always greener with players. Not saying this directly to you Saddles but many Ranger fans are that way.
I agree Guzman needs more time. Certainly his defense is not to be questioned. Speaking of hitting, Mr.Gallo needs to prove he can hit also. I don't know how long he can stay around at his current production. @saddles spoke of Mitch and I see Gallo in the same light.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it is way too early to give up on him. We have plenty of time to find out.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard on 105.3 from someone who covers the Rangers. He said several very reliable sources told him that Maz had told the Rangers he will not even consider moving to first. I'm willing to bet it was because him Guzman are friends.
He may be on his way to being traded then.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may be on his way to being traded then.

It would be a mistake to trade him just to
open a spot. He may get better as a hitter but the best guy should start all positions regardless of friendship

If we do trade him I hope it is for value.
FYI I like Guzman and am in no way advocating giving up on him

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Guzman needs more time. Certainly his defense is not to be questioned. Speaking of hitting, Mr.Gallo needs to prove he can hit also. I don't know how long he can stay around at his current production. @saddles spoke of Mitch and I see Gallo in the same light.
Likely longer than DDJ and Guzman even if he does not improve but sure hope he does
Of course the OPS is something some will say I overvalue

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
open a spot. He may get better as a hitter but the best guy should start all positions regardless of friendship

I didn't mean they might trade him simply to open a spot.

The idea that they approached him about moving means they are not satisfied with him in the OF. Now, they are not only not satisfied with him in the OF, they are also probably miffed that he rebuffed them. That got Soriano and Kinsler traded.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely longer than DDJ and Guzman even if he does not improve but sure hope he does
Of course the OPS is something some will say I overvalue
I value OPS more than BA. I would like a formula that doesn't value walks as highly as singles, but OPS is about as good as we have. Slugging is a good one as well, but that leaves out walks completely.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let me clarify. I think Mazara may be traded and not Guzman. I didn't really make rhat clear to begin with.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I value OPS more than BA. I would like a formula that doesn't value walks as highly as singles, but OPS is about as good as we have. Slugging is a good one as well, but that leaves out walks completely.
For me depends on your role. If your job is to hit homeruns and change the scoreboard, I value BA more.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mean they might trade him simply to open a spot.

The idea that they approached him about moving means they are not satisfied with him in the OF. Now, they are not only not satisfied with him in the OF, they are also probably miffed that he rebuffed them. That got Soriano and Kinsler traded.

I am thinking they could extend Mazara but maybe only if he is slotted for 1B. Guess we see how how this spring pans.

To me if Guzman hits great then he starts at 1B. If not then he should not be guaranteed to start

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking they could extend Mazara but maybe only if he is slotted for 1B. Guess we see how how this spring pans.

To me if Guzman hits great then he starts at 1B. If not then he should not be guaranteed to start
Has Maz played 1b before? No one should be guaranteed a start.:nono:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Maz played 1b before? No one should be guaranteed a start.:nono:

I have no idea but he looks suited there. Yes no one should be guaranteed even Maz. There is going to be a logjam in OF so long term OF may not be his spot unless his hitting improves. Then again with a free swinging team with a lot of holes even selective hitters may not see good pitches.

Still trying to figure out how Wille gets ABs. Trade market is really slow

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea but he looks suited there. Yes no one should be guaranteed even Maz. There is going to be a logjam in OF so long term OF may not be his spot unless his hitting improves. Then again with a free swinging team with a lot of holes even selective hitters may not see good pitches.

Still trying to figure out how Wille gets ABs. Trade market is really slow
Definitely have a OF problem and a little concerned why. We had the entire off season to get that resolved. I know Choo is a problem but not sure every effort was made to resolve the issue. Now it's coming home to roost.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Read where he has the fastest bat speed on team and has Dodger/Woodward connection. Going to be hard not to give him a legit shot this year. I just hope the best players play