• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned we aren't the only team with bad contracts. Choo is an overpay but at least he produces. Plenty of other teams with bad contracts......................of course Calhoun is the guy I am most interested in and I don't know how he gets consistent reps but sure hope he does. I don't think he has anything else to prove in AAA
One way is sending DDJ to AAA and let Gallo play CF allowing Calhoun to play LF. (Only if DDJ does't have a good spring) Otherwise I don't see much else without a trade somewhere.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One way is sending DDJ to AAA and let Gallo play CF allowing Calhoun to play LF. (Only if DDJ does't have a good spring) Otherwise I don't see much else without a trade somewhere.

Really tough to see it. Sometimes injuries happen usually to older players. Hope all our guys have a great spring and we can trust best decisions will be made

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Coaches teaching Gallo to take pitches.....nice

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a 4th category because we are not in the same market as the top few
As of 2017 the metroplex is fourth in the nation in metro area population. Only NY, LA and the Chicago metro areas are bigger. We are in the top category unless you slice it several ways. When you consider we are alone in this market an argument could be made that the Rangers slice of our market is bigger than the one each of the Chicago teams have of their total market. The same might be said of LAA as well

If our resources rank doesn't match our market size then that is management's fault.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really tough to see it. Sometimes injuries happen usually to older players. Hope all our guys have a great spring and we can trust best decisions will be made
Well, we can hope best decisions will be made. That hasn't always been the case around here.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we can hope best decisions will be made. That hasn't always been the case around here.

True saying for every entity and human being. Do you trust the decision makers?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of 2017 the metroplex is fourth in the nation in metro area population. Only NY, LA and the Chicago metro areas are bigger. We are in the top category unless you slice it several ways. When you consider we are alone in this market an argument could be made that the Rangers slice of our market is bigger than the one each of the Chicago teams have of their total market. The same might be said of LAA as well

If our resources rank doesn't match our market size then that is management's fault.

I guess it depends upon how you slice it. Froma team value standpoint, Rangers are 13 per Forbes, if looking from a fanbase and gate draw even St Louis is consistently ahead. The Cowboys some consider to be the biggest in the NFL but geographically that makes no sense yet they remain "America's team"

I just think overall baseball makes it harder on small teams but of course the Rangers are not near like Tampa. But that is not all. It is harder for a working man to bring his family to a game on a regular basis. It used not to be that way.. just think it is messed up..

Are you thinking I am giving Ranger owners a pass?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want Willie Calhoun to get a fair shot to play...at one point Wash IMO was the decision maker and Profar rode the pine.

Obviously ownership has set limits in how much it is wiling to spend for players and we all have different opinions re that and if it is on line with our "market size" however that translates

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD lays out the plans and the owners approve or not. But we never know what the plans called for and what was denied.

Last edited:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned we aren't the only team with bad contracts. Choo is an overpay but at least he produces. Plenty of other teams with bad contracts......................of course Calhoun is the guy I am most interested in and I don't know how he gets consistent reps but sure hope he does. I don't think he has anything else to prove in AAA
I guess it depends upon how you slice it. Froma team value standpoint, Rangers are 13 per Forbes, if looking from a fanbase and gate draw even St Louis is consistently ahead. The Cowboys some consider to be the biggest in the NFL but geographically that makes no sense yet they remain "America's team"

I just think overall baseball makes it harder on small teams but of course the Rangers are not near like Tampa. But that is not all. It is harder for a working man to bring his family to a game on a regular basis. It used not to be that way.. just think it is messed up..

But like Tampa the ownership just sees it as a business. And not that important business. They think: we need to get butts in the seats and instead of putting a competitive team on the field we'll build a new stadium.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that but who are the decision makers, the owners, JD and staff or some combination?
The owners. Their attitude is we will spend money on a new stadium but not on the team playing in it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am just saying we are a large market. How management has tapped into that large market to have revenue ranking match that is another question. It is especially concerning when local economies are taken into account.

Calling us a mid market team is not correct. Whether you are giving owners a pass in doing so or not I am not sure.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that but who are the decision makers, the owners, JD and staff or some combination?
JD is not only the chief decision maker, but he has put the others into place for the most part. Ownership has authority over him so if there is any blame to be had it falls into their laps as well.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new stadium alone will not sell tickets very long. Money had better be spent on players within a reasonable time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new stadium alone will not sell tickets very long. Money had better be spent on players within a reasonable time.
Hopefully, starting next year they can start acquiring players to be here in the future when our window opens.