• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not extending Gallo until he shows he can hit in the mid 200's. He also needs to start having a good first half of the season.
I'm not happy with an extension this year. If he has a decent season that would certainly warrant a look see. A big extension now could possibly spell trouble.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want a contract extension for these young guys if that means they are entitled to the Odor treatment. No one should be guaranteed a starting role just because they have a contract extension. We have up and coming young players who I don't want to see being given the Profar treatment just because a struggling player is being given the Odor treatment.

If they can learn to be smart enough to not let contract size and length get in the way of who should and who shouldn't be given playing time then contract extensions are fine. They have struggled with that up until now though.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not happy with an extension this year. If he has a decent season that would certainly warrant a look see. A big extension now could possibly spell trouble.
for me I need to see back to back seasons from him before I even talk extension but JD will give it to him now

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for me I need to see back to back seasons from him before I even talk extension but JD will give it to him now
I think waiting for back to back seasons will cause his agent to tell him to wait and test free agency. If a young player is going to sign an extension that cuts into their free agency years it has to be done before they have proven themselves beyond a shadow of a doubt. Once they are proven then they aren't going to be signing such deals.

That would be different if the Rangers would be willing to go market value for a proven home grown player, but they always want the player to give them a discount and that usually doesn't work.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think waiting for back to back seasons will cause his agent to tell him to wait and test free agency. If a young player is going to sign an extension that cuts into their free agency years it has to be done before they have proven themselves beyond a shadow of a doubt. Once they are proven then they aren't going to be signing such deals.

That would be different if the Rangers would be willing to go market value for a proven home grown player, but they always want the player to give them a discount and that usually doesn't work.
so you are in the "pay him now even if he doesn't pan out later"

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how much difference Calhoun's new body will improve his play in the OF. At some point in the future will it make more sense for Calhoun to play the OF and Mazara ro be the DH?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how much difference Calhoun's new body will improve his play in the OF. At some point in the future will it make more sense for Calhoun to play the OF and Mazara ro be the DH?
Mazara has never played 1st and yet you would put him there. do we send him down to AAA for a season to get playing time at 1st?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you are in the "pay him now even if he doesn't pan out later"
That is an impossible question to answer since I have no idea if he pans out later. Of course, I wouldn't pay anyone who I knew would not pan out, but that is impossible to know.

The problem is this team is too cheap to not let a financial mistake cripple them. Take Odor for example. They should have been able to admit a mistake and replace him in the lineup with Profar. They are sometimes too cheap and too proud to admit a mistake.

If extending young guys now would not cripple the team financially or lineup-wise then I would be all for taking a chance on some of the younger guys.

Once they get wise enough to move on from mistakes and once they commit enough money to withstand some mistakes then things can be different. For now I don't trust them to sign guys to contract extensions.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mazara has never played 1st and yet you would put him there. do we send him down to AAA for a season to get playing time at 1st?
I never mentioned him going to 1B.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is an impossible question to answer since I have no idea if he pans out later. Of course, I wouldn't pay anyone who I knew would not pan out, but that is impossible to know.

The problem is this team is too cheap to not let a financial mistake cripple them. Take Odor for example. They should have been able to admit a mistake and replace him in the lineup with Profar. They are sometimes too cheap and too proud to admit a mistake.

If extending young guys now would not cripple the team financially or lineup-wise then I would be all for taking a chance on some of the younger guys.

Once they get wise enough to move on from mistakes and once they commit enough money to withstand some mistakes then things can be different. For now I don't trust them to sign guys to contract extensions.
so what kind of extension would you give Mazara, Gallo and eventually Calhoun?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what kind of extension would you give Mazara, Gallo and eventually Calhoun?
Do you mean, what do I want the Rangers to do now? Or, do you mean how would I handle it if I was running the team? The answers to those questions would be completely different depending on the scenario. lol

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are correct my bad but then where would you play Gallo? he has stated empathically that he doesn't want to play at either 3B or 1st
I would keep him in the OF until I found out about Guzman. His future position in my mind is determined by who else we have and how good they are. If all 3 of our top OF prospects take a step forward this year then the OF future for the team looks crowded. If the 2 lower level 1B prospects take steps forward then that position looks crowded in the future. Then there is the whole question of who we draft in the first round as that looks to be a position player right now. There are a whole lot of moving parts.

Gallo and the team agreed he shouldn't play 3B. Neither has said he shouldn't play 1B at some ppint.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you mean, what do I want the Rangers to do now? Or, do you mean how would I handle it if I was running the team? The answers to those questions would be completely different depending on the scenario. lol
okay right now the Rangers/JD are in talks with Gallo and Mazara about possible contract extensions. let's say you are JD what kind of extension would you offer each?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would keep him in the OF until I found out about Guzman. His future position in my mind is determined by who else we have and how good they are. If all 3 of our top OF prospects take a step forward this year then the OF future for the team looks crowded. If the 2 lower level 1B prospects take steps forward then that position looks crowded in the future. Then there is the whole question of who we draft in the first round as that looks to be a position player right now. There are a whole lot of moving parts.
agreed. personally if we keep Gallo I only see him as a future DH not as a fulltime OF option.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay right now the Rangers/JD are in talks with Gallo and Mazara about possible contract extensions. let's say you are JD what kind of extension would you offer each?
I wouldn't offer any extensions if I was JD and still thought the size and length of the contract should be a factor in making out lineups and I still thought such contracts would cripple the team financially.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed. personally if we keep Gallo I only see him as a future DH not as a fulltime OF option.
Gallo is a good OF and a really good 1B. He doesn't have to DH unless you are overloaded everywhere else.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo is a good OF and a really good 1B. He doesn't have to DH unless you are overloaded everywhere else.
which we could be in the future especially the OF with Mazara, JPM, Taveras etc. and i'm not convinced that Guzman and what we have in the minors isn't the future for us

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which we could be in the future especially the OF with Mazara, JPM, Taveras etc. and i'm not convinced that Guzman and what we have in the minors isn't the future for us
I guess we will have plenty of time to find out over the next two sessons.