• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned we aren't the only team with bad contracts. Choo is an overpay but at least he produces. Plenty of other teams with bad contracts......................of course Calhoun is the guy I am most interested in and I don't know how he gets consistent reps but sure hope he does. I don't think he has anything else to prove in AAA

I’m hoping that the organization is just biding there time and waiting for the crappy Choo, fielder, etc. contracts to clear off the books and they will take another shot at winning.

Wish we were accumulating more prospects then we actually are tho.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m hoping that the organization is just biding there time and waiting for the crappy Choo, fielder, etc. contracts to clear off the books and they will take another shot at winning.

I am fairly comfortable with the number of prospects we have, and especially considering we may pick up a few really good ones in the draft. It is just that most of them are currently 2-3 years away. Some will trickle in before then, but I think we are going to have a good young team in 2021 with lots of potential for then and beyond.

If we can pick up a free agent or two along the way to flip for more help then all the better. Then one good free agent signing next offseason and a couple the one after that to mix in with our youth for a run at the WS eventually.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much and how long for Gallo is a concern for a guy who hangs around the Mendoza mark. Doesn't seem to bother some but the risk could be another problem contract. Hopefully that won't be the case and he will improve hitting.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i'm just not convinced that getting rid of the Choo and Fielder contracts will change anything. I don't see these owners ever considering moves that will put a ready competitive team. I see them using the Tampa plan where they develop players and when they reach a level where they rate a good contract trading them away. maintaining a team that hovers around 75 to 85 wins but never takes the next steps that gets them near a WS

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm just not convinced that getting rid of the Choo and Fielder contracts will change anything. I don't see these owners ever considering moves that will put a ready competitive team. I see them using the Tampa plan where they develop players and when they reach a level where they rate a good contract trading them away. maintaining a team that hovers around 75 to 85 wins but never takes the next steps that gets them near a WS
I see two things that could conflict with your summation. The first being that we have not proven to be able to develop players year in and year out over the long term. The second being that we have not proven we have the patience not to try and take short cuts by trading prospects for guys like Lucroy and Hamels.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Choo contract frees up money to invest. Furthermore, the owners will have to become competitive to sell tickets and fill up the new stadium.They are not going to do much now because the time is not right regarding big money and FA's.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Choo contract frees up money to invest. Furthermore, the owners will have to become competitive to sell tickets and fill up the new stadium.They are not going to do much now because the time is not right regarding big money and FA's.
The ownership may be getting ready to sell the team in another year or two. If so, they may not want to have a lot of payroll on the books for future years so the team is more attractive to potential buyers.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ownership may be getting ready to sell the team in another year or two. If so, they may not want to have a lot of payroll on the books for future years so the team is more attractive to potential buyers.
I hope so. I tired of them reducing the budget every year.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your last sentence but don't believe that owners are concerned with being competitive

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see two things that could conflict with your summation. The first being that we have not proven to be able to develop players year in and year out over the long term. The second being that we have not proven we have the patience not to try and take short cuts by trading prospects for guys like Lucroy and Hamels.
Well the last affects the first and if we don't do a combination of development and bringing in the right FA's or trades we will never anything but a lower tier team