• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have we honestly seen enough of Lynn to date to make a call at this time? Yes he has not looked very good. True, but it is early and stranger things have happened.

Options that don't lock you in too much are rarely bad IMO.....The Pence Calhoun situation is very interesting to me as I really want to see him succeed but Pence who is looking good may be blocking him. Still these are only ST numbers

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Options that don't lock you in too much are rarely bad IMO.....The Pence Calhoun situation is very interesting to me as I really want to see him succeed but Pence who is looking good may be blocking him. Still these are only ST numbers
If Pence holds the line, may flip him later and give Willie his chance, I too like Willie and his bat.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say much for pitching with the exception of Miller.

The walks did them in. Connor and the kid that pitched the ninth I believe, couldn't find the plate.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad base running by Willie and bad strikeout by Roogie. Cabrera running it out in ST.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers bats going oppo nicely.....2020 SP #5 contender assuming not blocked by Lance L looking pretty good minus walks to lefties. Good strikeout with the change up

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad base running by Willie and bad strikeout by Roogie. Cabrera running it out in ST.
Laughing my head off as Dave R about to praise him for hanging tough on ABs etc...

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t get the pence hate. At least he has a good attitude and works hard.

The best player should play. That’s the mindset that good professional sports teams have ( apparently not us..... yet. See odor situation). This isn’t little league where the coaches kids get to play all the good positions and always start.

I personally don’t like Willie Calhoun all that much. I think he’s a LA diva at heart with a bad attitude. He will probably bolt from us the first chance he gets for the bright lights and the big city.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The best player should play. That’s the mindset that good professional sports teams have ( apparently not us..... yet. See odor situation). This isn’t little league where the coaches kids get to play all the good positions and always start.

I personally don’t like Willie Calhoun all that much. I think he’s a LA diva at heart with a bad attitude. He will probably bolt from us the first chance he gets for the bright lights and the big city.

No one hates Pence I think... on a one year contract but some on the board are gun shy as our future appears better than present and think it is better to unload good players not under future control.

In reality IMO it is difficult to keep best hitters like Choo on bench even if ABs help young guys development

Side note... Willie Rakes a known gamer, gave up his late night gaming fetish and shed pounds this offseason in contrast to past tantrums. Would love to see him rewarded for his efforts

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decent AB there from Mazara.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great job protecting plate against shift on payoff pitch

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have we honestly seen enough of Lynn to date to make a call at this time? Yes he has not looked very good. True, but it is early and stranger things have happened.
My concern isn't necessarily that Lynn will pitch bad or good. My concern is that he will eventually be in the way of young starters getting needed innings as starters to get acclimated to the league. Like the situation now with Choo and Calhoun.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a year or two when Lynn is in the way the emphasis will be placed on the lack of a trade partner.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a year or two when Lynn is in the way the emphasis will be placed on the lack of a trade partner.

My issue is that Lance Lynn was done 2 years ago and the Rangers signed him to a 3 year deal. He is really not good as he proved in NY last year. That contract was a bad reach. Nobody would trade for him now, bad contract

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern isn't necessarily that Lynn will pitch bad or good. My concern is that he will eventually be in the way of young starters getting needed innings as starters to get acclimated to the league. Like the situation now with Choo and Calhoun.

But is not that the main reason we got him?... to eat innings so to protect young starters being exposed too early? Or burn up our pen due to short starts...Don't think you can guarantee that with Volquez, Smyly or Miller. Injuries and missed starts seem to happen. Just think there will be plenty of innings.

It would be awesome to have our young guys force their way into the rotation early

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is not that the main reason we got him?... to eat innings so to protect young starters being exposed too early? Or burn up our pen due to short starts...Don't think you can guarantee that with Volquez, Smyly or Miller. Injuries and missed starts seem to happen. Just think there will be plenty of innings.

It would be awesome to have our young guys force their way into the rotation early
Lynn can eat innings and go to the pen with out blocking anyone. He will likely be on the IR.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one hates Pence I think... on a one year contract but some on the board are gun shy as our future appears better than present and think it is better to unload good players not under future control.

In reality IMO it is difficult to keep best hitters like Choo on bench even if ABs help young guys development

Side note... Willie Rakes a known gamer, gave up his late night gaming fetish and shed pounds this offseason in contrast to past tantrums. Would love to see him rewarded for his efforts

I've never liked Pence, he's always been super overrated, would prefer to not waste a roster spot on him, as thats what I think it will end up being

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does not make sense bringing in a 36 yr old Pence when we are going young with this rebuild. In addition the OF is way to heavy now. Too early to pass judgement on young Calhoun. He needs playing time. Sorry I just can't agree on this one.