• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue is that Lance Lynn was done 2 years ago and the Rangers signed him to a 3 year deal. He is really not good as he proved in NY last year. That contract was a bad reach. Nobody would trade for him now, bad contract
The Rangers have been doing this for several years now.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does not make sense bringing in a 36 yr old Pence when we are going young with this rebuild. In addition the OF is way to heavy now. Too early to pass judgement on young Calhoun. He needs playing time. Sorry I just can't agree on this one.
Your right. They bring young guys up and then don't play them.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is not that the main reason we got him?... to eat innings so to protect young starters being exposed too early? Or burn up our pen due to short starts...Don't think you can guarantee that with Volquez, Smyly or Miller. Injuries and missed starts seem to happen. Just think there will be plenty of innings.

It would be awesome to have our young guys force their way into the rotation early
To be honest, I cannot for the life of me figure out why we signed him. All we needed was one year placeholders to fill out this year's rotation. I would imagine it has something to do with not wanting to appear to have completely given up on this year. Then there is the history that shows, like Murph said, he is done already which flies in the face of the reason I just guessed at.

Part of it is probably JD's inexplicable affinity with pitchers who have done well in the NL.

He will be untradeable and he will be in the way. Even in the pen he will be in the way as we have some good bullpen arms on the way as well.

If they have the ability to swallow their pride and cut him then everything will be fine. I will have to see that happen first, before thinking it is a realistic possibility.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with Pence as a 4th OF so Calhoun can get AB everyday in Nashville. I would have no problem with Pence playing in AAA.. Neither Choo nor Pence has any business starting here unless Calhoun is injured. Then as soon as Heineman is well he should move higher than those veterans in the pecking order also.

NEWSFLASH to Rangers Management:

We are REBUILDING!!!

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a MLB roster spot I would think he would demand a release. I am hoping they can move him and some pitching at the break and even Choo.

Still can’t see any manager before ASB sitting their best hitter. Willie needs to break out, get a break due to injury or we move Choo.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will probably be very close to the Opening Day lineup, except with a different catcher.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams trying to lose from the onset is really a bad problem. Some FAs should have been signed by now.

I get Rangers not going on a spending frenzy but sitting your best players before the break IMO is unethical.

But of course I would like to move Choo. So I guess there is some gray area. Probably going to be some changes with new CBA

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a MLB roster spot I would think he would demand a release. I am hoping they can move him and some pitching at the break and even Choo.

Still can’t see any manager before ASB sitting their best hitter. Willie needs to break out, get a break due to injury or we move Choo.
Who?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will probably be very close to the Opening Day lineup, except with a different catcher.

Probably right but I wonder if lineup is tweaked for LH SP

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams trying to lose from the onset is really a bad problem. Some FAs should have been signed by now.

I get Rangers not going on a spending frenzy but sitting your best players before the break IMO is unethical.

But of course I would like to move Choo. So I guess there is some gray area. Probably going to be some changes with new CBA
"Best" doesn't mean much on this team and according to how Choo finished, he isn't even the best on this team any longer.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Best" doesn't mean much on this team and according to how Choo finished, he isn't even the best on this team any longer.

Ha....we shall see but despite up and downs, he did rank best. Definitely now the best for the value

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he sign a minor league contract?

I am sure there are contingencies. I can check but I would think he has a release clause if not on the 25 man roster

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sitting a veteran for a young player is not unethical if you think the young player is a part of your future. In 2009 we sat Omar Vizquel for Elvis and that was not unethical. It paid huge dividends for us in our WS years because we did that too.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure there are contingencies. I can check but I would think he has a release clause if not on the 25 man roster
In 2021 it won't matter if Pemce sat the bench, went to the minors or was released this season. We should play for the future no matter how it affects guys who won't be around when we are ready to contend for a WS.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha....we shall see but despite up and downs, he did rank best. Definitely now the best for the value
Would you rank him the best right now? I certainly wouldn't put him in the top 5 position players on this team. Give me Elvis, Cabrera. IKF, Gallo and Mazara all before Choo. I would probably put Pence ahead of him and I think by mid-season Calhoun would be if given everyday playing time.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sitting a veteran for a young player is not unethical if you think the young player is a part of your future. In 2009 we sat Omar Vizquel for Elvis and that was not unethical. It paid huge dividends for us in our WS years because we did that too.

Remember watching him opened t day that year and saw the talent. Vizquel knee what he was not going to be the starter I think.

If Choo has a bad first half I bet he sits quite a bit. We do have a new manager and roles may be tweaked

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember watching him opened t day that year and saw the talent. Vizquel knee what he was not going to be the starter I think.

If Choo has a bad first half I bet he sits quite a bit. We do have a new manager and roles may be tweaked
If politics is going to trump good baseball sense then they need to just release him. They would never do that either It is just one mistake after another where it concerns him.

By the way, Choo would know as well, if they had the guts to tell him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3