• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The spring not starting off well. Loss 9-1 and 10-1.

Relax bro

Spring scores and stats don’t matter.

I can’t stand to watch spring training games anyway. The parks are ugly as hell and there are constant pitching changes.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam is taking up for the Front Office. In other news dog bites man. lol

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relax bro

Spring scores and stats don’t matter.

I can’t stand to watch spring training games anyway. The parks are ugly as hell and there are constant pitching changes.
Yeah, that 8-22 record in ST last year didn't portend much. lol

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying it is sour is a little too easy also. The truth hurts sometimes. This team has shown a tendency to be cheap at times.

If I am not mistaken they extended Harrison, Holland and Perez.

Odor would be enough to form an opinion on though. That is one of the more recent and would more likely be an indication of how future extensions would play out should the player fail to live up to expectations.

Perhaps it is too easy(sorry) but not meant to be insulting but a portrayal of other factors in the past that cause a misjudgment of the extension beat down. Odor is the only extension even you mention that could be considered unwise and the jury is out on that. This is where I am coming from. I am not pushing extensions... you have better beefs with the FO and also managers via trades that did not work out and players not sitting

I think the players are embracing ways to improve albeit results don't happen instantaneously. Minus Burke our coup in the Profar trade....ha

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that 8-22 record in ST last year didn't portend much. lol
We all know it will not be pretty this year. We all will be mostly watching to see which players start to shine and will be productive in the years to come.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know it will not be pretty this year. We all will be mostly watching to see which players start to shine and will be productive in the years to come.

Connor S looked good as well as the rule 5 guy. Curtis has not. minor had a good outing. Mazara and Gallo have been challenged to change their approach and mechanics. Some of the vets have not even played yet. So yes I am watching players too hoping a guy like Palumbo has a better second outing

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Connor S looked good as well as the rule 5 guy. Curtis has not. minor had a good outing. Mazara and Gallo have been challenged to change their approach and mechanics. Some of the vets have not even played yet. So yes I am watching players too hoping a guy like Palumbo has a better second outing
As you and I know and pretty much everyone else on this board it will be a season long process in seeing who is able to adjust to improve themselves.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps it is too easy(sorry) but not meant to be insulting but a portrayal of other factors in the past that cause a misjudgment of the extension beat down. Odor is the only extension even you mention that could be considered unwise and the jury is out on that. This is where I am coming from. I am not pushing extensions... you have better beefs with the FO and also managers via trades that did not work out and players not sitting

I think the players are embracing ways to improve albeit results don't happen instantaneously. Minus Burke our coup in the Profar trade....ha
I keep trying to say this. It isn't the extensions I have a beef with. What I have a beef with is not being able to move on when an extension doesn't work out and a better player comes along. I only mentioned Odor because he is the first one to not work out and have the team not turn the page and move on to the better player. Since I don't trust that the next case would be different, that makes me not want to see any other extensions being given at this time. We have too many good young players coming up in the next 2 to 3 years for them to be passed over just because a lesser player has an extension.

I do think the rush for extensions is based on the fear of not being able to pay the player what he is worth if he improves. That was okay for the era of a bankrupt owner, but not any longer.

None of the extensions worked out too well, but that is not really important. It might be a lesson learned though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of our excitement this year will emanate from North Carolina from our two Class A teams. Probably,we will get more and more excited as the year goes on about things happening in Frisco as well.

If we get lucky one or two of our pitchers will be good enough to trade at the deadline.

I do think we will have one of the best closers in baseball. Maybe Gallo and Mazara can improve and give us some excitement as well. It will also be interesting to see how IKF performs.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep trying to say this. It isn't the extensions I have a beef with. What I have a beef with is not being able to move on when an extension doesn't work out and a better player comes along. I only mentioned Odor because he is the first one to not work out and have the team not turn the page and move on to the better player. Since I don't trust that the next case would be different, that makes me not want to see any other extensions being given at this time. We have too many good young players coming up in the next 2 to 3 years for them to be passed over just because a lesser player has an extension.

I do think the rush for extensions is based on the fear of not being able to pay the player what he is worth if he improves. That was okay for the era of a bankrupt owner, but not any longer.

None of the extensions worked out too well, but that is not really important. It might be a lesson learned though.

How do you move on from Odor?

Who is taking him on?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you move on from Odor?

Who is taking him on?
Those are the kind of questions you have to be prepared to answer before you grant an extension.

If he is untradeable then what in the world are we doing trading someone better than him?

You play the best guys. The rest are either benched, sent down, traded or released. Odor would not have to fall into that last category. He may not be worth the gamble to another team to trade for him right now, but if you eat enough of his contract some team will decide to take the gamble.

If you are not going to be able to move on from guys then extensions might not be the best idea until they have proven themselves.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s an imbalance of young black pitchers in MLB. Rangers prospect Taylor Hearn wants to change that.

The Hearn men of Royse City take the road less traveled.

Cleo Hearn, the patriarch, was the first black professional cowboy on the rodeo circuit. He is known as "Mr. Black Rodeo."

His son, Robby, followed and continued to blaze a trail for black rodeo participants.

Cleo Hearn's grandson, Taylor, went in a different but equally rare direction. Taylor Hearn is trying to join the small group of black major league starting pitchers. There were only eight black starters in the majors last season.

That seems unreal when you consider that Fergie Jenkins and Jim Bibby were two of our best starting pitchers back in the first few years of our existence. I am looking forward to seeing what Mr. Hearn has to offer in a few months.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1