• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see JPM, Taveras and Thompson as the future OF for the Rangers. Not sure what that leaves Willie
I think we need to see what Willie can do first before deciding he has no place in the future. Also, let's see those prospects excel at AA before penciling them in.

I really like JPM and Thompson a lot, and Taveras may yet prove enough for me to like him as well, but I am not nearly as sold on our OF prospects as I am our SP prospects.

There is still a lot left to see as far as how each of them develops. Either way, it is very important that we see as much of Calhoun playing on an every day basis as we can over the next couple of years.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freeing Shin-Soo Choo will give Rangers an opportunity to really live up to their rebuild credo

Daniels must find a match. Eating $42 million isn't out of the question. It's a sunk cost anyway. They'd be paying it if he were here, playing for a team going nowhere. The reason Daniels gives for avoiding high-priced free agents now is that it doesn't align with the team's competitive window. Meaning they're not good enough to justify spending big on a player who won't make a difference until they're competitive again, assuming that's a possibility.

So how does $42 million for a designated hitter fit into that plan? Especially if you've got an alternative 12 years younger with a salary less than what Choo makes in a week.

If Choo weren't blocking anyone, he could stick it out. Give the lineup some gravity. Be a good example for the kids. Every other position is essentially set. Anyone good enough to be playing at the big league level is already here. Anyone except Calhoun, that is.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to see what Willie can do first before deciding he has no place in the future. Also, let's see those prospects excel at AA before penciling them in.

I really like JPM and Thompson a lot, and Taveras may yet prove enough for me to like him as well, but I am not nearly as sold on our OF prospects as I am our SP prospects.

There is still a lot left to see as far as how each of them develops. Either way, it is very important that we see as much of Calhoun playing on an every day basis as we can over the next couple of years.

Certainly agree.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gett'n ready. First look at new faces.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see JPM, Taveras and Thompson as the future OF for the Rangers. Not sure what that leaves Willie
Not sure how you can see that already unless you have a crystal ball in your closet.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Harper is going to sign with the Phillies. 13 years for 330 million. Wouldn't want to have to deal with that contract.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Harper is going to sign with the Phillies. 13 years for 330 million. Wouldn't want to have to deal with that contract.
I think not. Thirteen years is crazy.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skaggs looking very strong.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is just insane. Good luck to the Phillies on that nonsense.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Guzman jacks two and Smyly emerges ok after being on the mend

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess maybe we can put all of that talk of collusion away for now.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Guzman jacks two and Smyly emerges ok after being on the mend
It seems I remember a few years ago that they were saying that Guzman was still growing into his body and that the power would come. I love his swing. I hope this is a sign of things to come. Time will tell.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This us from the Mac Engel article I posted a link to earlier this week. He is interviewing JD about the rebuild.

How long can this last before you start seeing some real gains to prove that what you are doing is right?

We have talked about a timeline internally, and I don’t totally want to lay it out. ... The time line piece for me? We sat here in 2007, and we thought 2011. Or 2012. In 2009, we won 87 games and if there was a second wild-card I think we would have won the second wild-card. In 2010, we go to the World Series.

I don’t see a ton of value in laying out a timeline when the best laid plans are ... I don’t want to suggest that no sense of urgency like we have time. I want our people to be pushing.

After you signed Shin Soo Choo to a seven-year contract in 2013, you said we have to make sure your minor leaguers are developing and can replace the older veterans so you can sustain a good club. Did you do that effectively?

Not enough. Not well enough, no. Some areas, yes. Some of it is, you look at the rankings of different publications (of prospects). Baseball America has us 25th and Baseball Prospectus has us ninth. My sense is we are somewhere in between. Here today, are we self sufficient to replace all of our pieces? No, we’re not. We will be. I think we have some pitchers who are ready to step in this year. Some outfielders the year after that.

A lot of our talent is young. I think there is such a discrepancy between those rankings, is they are young. They are high-end talent and that creates a lot of variability. Their potential outcomes are pretty broad.

You have made no major contract additions for several years now. Has that been a JD decision or an organizational decision?

Two things, the lesson we talked about before; it has to be the right time and the right fit where the club is at. I really have not felt like it’s been the right time.

You have been in a job most people don’t last this long. How would you say you have done?

I would say there are a lot of things I am proud of, and a lot of things I want to get better at. You ask me in Oct. 2005, you can go to the World Series a couple of times and postseason X times, would that be a success? I would have said yes. Absolutely. Are we satisfied? No.