• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the big problem with gallo and odor, they both have huge holes in their games.

I don’t expect our players to be perfect, but it’s disappointing when guys have huge problem areas. Several of them at once can be tough to overcome for both the team and the player.

Red flags-

Odor: Low baseball IQ, can’t take a walk, would almost rather strikeout than take a walk ( pitchers know this too), boneheaded plays on defense, boneheaded base running. Lack of situational awareness. Situational hitting is completely foreign to him.

Gallo : swings for the fences way too much. Strikes out too much. Barely hits above .200

I’m sure I might be missing a few, but those are off the top of my head. We should strive to get a good mixture of well rounded players.

Well we'll wait and see on the walks thing, bc he definitely had a career high walk rate last year, so he definitely adjusted his approach, and that was apparent before he got hot and was struggling early in the year, thats why it seemed it was a matter of time before the balls started to fall in and he progressed to the mean

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to move him just yet but an extension now is dangerous. We have time to see if he can improve.

Makes sense. Still hope we get improvement from Odor. Can see how there is some sting due to unmet expectations

Do think Rangers need to decide who their core is going to be. But yes it is dangerous to extend the wrong guys

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. Still hope we get improvement from Odor. Can see how there is some sting due to unmet expectations

Do think Rangers need to decide who their core is going to be. But yes it is dangerous to extend the wrong guys
I think it is too early to worry about a core. I think it is too early for extensions if that means the guys who are extended must start ahead of others in the future. Suppose Maz is extended and continues hitting the way he has hit and then a guy like Bubba Thompson comes along and appears to be ready. If Bubba seems to show he could be better than Maz then he should start before Maz. The way this team is run that won't happen if Maz is extended.

Let's wait to see who develops and how much and also wait to see which free agents we can acquire and then settle on a core. Maybe in 2 more offseasons we can begin to think about that.

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is too early to worry about a core. I think it is too early for extensions if that means the guys who are extended must start ahead of others in the future. Suppose Maz is extended and continues hitting the way he has hit and then a guy like Bubba Thompson comes along and appears to be ready. If Bubba seems to show he could be better than Maz then he should start before Maz. The way this team is run that won't happen if Maz is extended.

Let's wait to see who develops and how much and also wait to see which free agents we can acquire and then settle on a core. Maybe in 2 more offseasons we can begin to think about that.

Evaluation I would think is ongoing. Elvis is obviously a core player. But yes might be a bit premature to extend some guys. But I am on the outside looking in.

re: the way this team is run.....

Not sure I am ready to label Odor as a bad extension and thus malign this orgs future decision making ability...... we shall see

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going into ST, Elvis is the only one I can qualify as a core player. Can't see anyone else in his class at this time.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers trade David Lebron to Baltimore for international signing bonus money.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evaluation I would think is ongoing. Elvis is obviously a core player. But yes might be a bit premature to extend some guys. But I am on the outside looking in.

re: the way this team is run.....

Not sure I am ready to label Odor as a bad extension and thus malign this orgs future decision making ability...... we shall see
No one is a bad extension if the team is willing and able to move on from that player having to start of he fails to live up to expectations.

They are afraid of waiting to see if these guys are going to pan out so they extend them early. They know if they wait until the players are successful that it will cost them more money. They are too cheap to wait so they sign them early. Then they are too stubborn and too cheap to sign their replacement unless they get a huge discount. They need to just quit trying to run the organization so cheaply.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to see how Woody is going to handle this group. Hope he is allowed to run the show meaning playing the best players regardless of contracts.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is a bad extension if the team is willing and able to move on from that player having to start of he fails to live up to expectations.

They are afraid of waiting to see if these guys are going to pan out so they extend them early. They know if they wait until the players are successful that it will cost them more money. They are too cheap to wait so they sign them early. Then they are too stubborn and too cheap to sign their replacement unless they get a huge discount. They need to just quit trying to run the organization so cheaply.

Unfortunately baseball is a business for most teams........But not remembering who else other than Odor and perhaps Kinsler they extended early so Odor is basically where you base your opinion. I just don't think his story is totally written

A little to easy for people to let the words cheap come out. Pretty sour it appears. Sorry.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This has been a pretty tough good subscription for me

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately baseball is a business for most teams........But not remembering who else other than Odor and perhaps Kinsler they extended early so Odor is basically where you base your opinion. I just don't think his story is totally written

A little to easy for people to let the words cheap come out. Pretty sour it appears. Sorry.
Saying it is sour is a little too easy also. The truth hurts sometimes. This team has shown a tendency to be cheap at times.

If I am not mistaken they extended Harrison, Holland and Perez.

Odor would be enough to form an opinion on though. That is one of the more recent and would more likely be an indication of how future extensions would play out should the player fail to live up to expectations.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when this year is done most will agree that Taveras is our third best CF prospect.

I am at the point where I would not oppose a trade of Taveras.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1