• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The front office probably let feelings get in the way.

I still remember hearing all that crap about “throwing in a pony” for odor to sign his extension. They (wrongly) assumed that Odor had become an established player who was too popular to replace.

I think the Bautista punching moment made him a fan favorite because his play on the field doesn’t explain why he would be. The guy is a mediocre second baseman at best.

Look at the other marquee second basemen in the state recently. Altuve and kinsler. Odor just doesn’t measure up.

Wouldn't call Kinsler marquee

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't call Kinsler marquee

In his prime ( while we had him), I’d take kinsler over Odor everyday of the week. I was just trying to make the point that the guy can’t even measure up to recent 2nd basemen in his own state and he definitely doesn’t hold up against many others league wide.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his prime ( while we had him), I’d take kinsler over Odor everyday of the week. I was just trying to make the point that the guy can’t even measure up to recent 2nd basemen in his own state and he definitely doesn’t hold up against many others league wide.

Profar may end up being the better player but I would not write off Odor just yet. Although Profar has more more baseball aptitude Odor is more athletic and an elite runner

You guys wrote off Gallo and he came back to be productive and now since he has a bad average the boo birds are out again.

These guys are a work in progress. That is kind of how it works out in life. I am betting on Gallo having the best season of his career and Odor to improve

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profar may end up being the better player but I would not write off Odor just yet. Although Profar has more more baseball aptitude Odor is more athletic and an elite runner

You guys wrote off Gallo and he came back to be productive and now since he has a bad average the boo birds are out again.

These guys are a work in progress. That is kind of how it works out in life. I am betting on Gallo having the best season of his career and Odor to improve
I don't call .206 BA and 207 strikeouts being productive. It's pretty sad when your strikeouts are higher than your BA. That being said, I hope he has a MVP year. But if he hits under .210 with over 200 strikeouts again this year, then the Rangers to move on from him.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't call .206 BA and 207 strikeouts being productive. It's pretty sad when your strikeouts are higher than your BA. That being said, I hope he has a MVP year. But if he hits under .210 with over 200 strikeouts again this year, then the Rangers to move on from him.

That’s the big problem with gallo and odor, they both have huge holes in their games.

I don’t expect our players to be perfect, but it’s disappointing when guys have huge problem areas. Several of them at once can be tough to overcome for both the team and the player.

Red flags-

Odor: Low baseball IQ, can’t take a walk, would almost rather strikeout than take a walk ( pitchers know this too), boneheaded plays on defense, boneheaded base running. Lack of situational awareness. Situational hitting is completely foreign to him.

Gallo : swings for the fences way too much. Strikes out too much. Barely hits above .200

I’m sure I might be missing a few, but those are off the top of my head. We should strive to get a good mixture of well rounded players.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the big problem with gallo and odor, they both have huge holes in their games.

I don’t expect our players to be perfect, but it’s disappointing when guys have huge problem areas. Several of them at once can be tough to overcome for both the team and the player.

Red flags-

Odor: Low baseball IQ, can’t take a walk, would almost rather strikeout than take a walk ( pitchers know this too), boneheaded plays on defense, boneheaded base running. Lack of situational awareness. Situational hitting is completely foreign to him.

Gallo : swings for the fences way too much. Strikes out too much. Barely hits above .200

I’m sure I might be missing a few, but those are off the top of my head. We should strive to get a good mixture of well rounded players.

Definitely some things they can improve on. Will be nice if they do and adios if they don't.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My goal for hitters is to be productive. I believe that is measured very effectively by slugging percentage and to a slightly lesser degree, OPS. Batting average is not nearly as effective in judging a hitter in my mind. With those things in mind, it is natural that I am going to disagree with those who concentrate mainly on BA and strikeouts. That is why I see the need for Gallo to improve, but I am not nearly as frustrated with his productivity as some of you are.

I heard Mike Bacsik say something the other day that I agree with. He said he thinks it is important to see how young hitters finish a season. Gallo finished well. I think that bodies well for this season. Odor, on the other hand, finished miserably.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Gallo craters and we have to move him the tee might as well move the whole team

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My goal for hitters is to be productive. I believe that is measured very effectively by slugging percentage and to a slightly lesser degree, OPS. Batting average is not nearly as effective in judging a hitter in my mind. With those things in mind, it is natural that I am going to disagree with those who concentrate mainly on BA and strikeouts. That is why I see the need for Gallo to improve, but I am not nearly as frustrated with his productivity as some of you are.

I heard Mike Bacsik say something the other day that I agree with. He said he thinks it is important to see how young hitters finish a season. Gallo finished well. I think that bodies well for this season. Odor, on the other hand, finished miserably.
I agree with most tif this

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gallo craters and we have to move him the tee might as well move the whole team
So you're going to trade everybody because one player can't cut. The Rangers were just fine before Gallo got here and they will be fine once he is gone.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please explain.

Despite being this boards whipping boy because of his sorry batting average he gets no real recognition of being the team s best offensive player re OPS and slugging. He took walks better and now is getting real teaching based on metrics to take bad pitches and look for the good ones.

The stats below bear this out.

Texas Rangers 2018 Batting / Hitting Statistics - ESPN

That being said Gallo is not one on the top 100 players in baseball nor should he. There is a lot of room for improvement. That also could be said of every position player on this team and more so

Obviously we need a balance of contact hitters with a slugger like Gallo but even Choo who tied Gallo for top OPS struck out 150 times. Don't forget Odor started getting more walks as well.

The Rangers overhauled their FO and teaching approach to model the cutting edge orgs.

If Gallo is considered nonproductive then the rest of the team was less than nonproductive

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're going to trade everybody because one player can't cut. The Rangers were just fine before Gallo got here and they will be fine once he is gone.

You cut Gallo now and this is a worse team.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite being this boards whipping boy because of his sorry batting average he gets no real recognition of being the team s best offensive player re OPS and slugging. He took walks better and now is getting real teaching based on metrics to take bad pitches and look for the good ones.

The stats below bear this out.

Texas Rangers 2018 Batting / Hitting Statistics - ESPN

That being said Gallo is not one on the top 100 players in baseball nor should he. There is a lot of room for improvement. That also could be said of every position player on this team and more so

Obviously we need a balance of contact hitters with a slugger like Gallo but even Choo who tied Gallo for top OPS struck out 150 times. Don't forget Odor started getting more walks as well.

The Rangers overhauled their FO and teaching approach to model the cutting edge orgs.

If Gallo is considered nonproductive then the rest of the team was less than nonproductive
Thanks for clearing up your original.

What happens if Gallo tanks and shows little or no improvement? He may get more help with the new organization and learn to hit. Walks look good on paper but don't drive in many runs. I think that is where some are having problems with him. Who do you want at the plate to drive in the winning run with two outs? Gallo or Elvis? LoL. Will have to wait and see.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for clearing up your original.

What happens if Gallo tanks and shows little or no improvement? He may get more help with the new organization and learn to hit. Walks look good on paper but don't drive in many runs. I think that is where some are having problems with him. Who do you want at the plate to drive in the winning run with two outs? Gallo or Elvis? LoL. Will have to wait and see.

Despite leading the team with 92 RBIS, I would prefer the Elvis of 2 years ago.
Situational hitting is definitely a current bogey that could stand some obvious improvement otherwise he can never be a strong middle to top of the order guy.

Still I would not underrate his skills or think to move him unless the return was big

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite leading the team with 92 RBIS, I would prefer the Elvis of 2 years ago.
Situational hitting is definitely a current bogey that could stand some obvious improvement otherwise he can never be a strong middle to top of the order guy.

Still I would not underrate his skills or think to move him unless the return was big
I don't want to move him just yet but an extension now is dangerous. We have time to see if he can improve.