• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Patriots' News

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be a good signing. The Chiefs are supposedly giving up a first and third for Ramsey which IMO is a lot but it makes the secondary a lot better.

They're going to give up a hell of a lot more to keep him. They'll really piss him off if they franchise him.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're going to give up a hell of a lot more to keep him. They'll really piss him off if they franchise him.
Yes they will, and IMO if AB does not get suspended that secondary still gets torched by Brady

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they will, and IMO if AB does not get suspended that secondary still gets torched by Brady

Chiefs are paying through the nose because theirafraid that BB will get Ramsey even for one year or that Pittsburgh will get him.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word on NFL.com is that the Eagle are now the front ru8nners for Ramsey. They have a lot of cap space and money and are more tyhanwilling to overpay.

The Seahawks are reportedly #2 and they hyave more money than the Eagles and may be willing to spruce up the offer.

So let's look at this from a 'real' position. The Jags are goingtto trade Ramsey and may get a #1 and #2 for him. Whether it's the Seahawks, Eagles or Chiefs the #1 will be in the mid to upper twenties. Will the Jags be able to replace Jalen Ramsey with their own in the top 10 or a traded #1 in the twenties? I don't see it.

The NFL is just starting to see the tip of this iceberg. Players forcvingtheir way out of a team is going to become a real problem. My guess is that the owners will have their lawyers come up with a new rule and protect themselves with a caveat written into the standard contract. Something crazy like the player has to pay back his bonus money and the team that signs him must give up compensatory picks for two years. Make signing a malcontent painful for the team that signs him.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm tired of players "being pissed off" by the franchise tag. They should complain to their union reps since the union negotiated that arrangement.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm tired of players "being pissed off" by the franchise tag. They should complain to their union reps since the union negotiated that arrangement.

I never understood why any player would get pissed off by the franchise tag. You're getting paid top tier money while your future contract gets worked out. Or, you play great, and go sign a sweet contract elsewhere the following year. I guess the one negative is if you get hurt but you're still getting killer money for one year.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood why any player would get pissed off by the franchise tag. You're getting paid top tier money while your future contract gets worked out. Or, you play great, and go sign a sweet contract elsewhere the following year. I guess the one negative is if you get hurt but you're still getting killer money for one year.
Add to that the process was for the benefit of the collective group, not best for each individual. Fighting it is effectively stating "I don't give a rats ass about everyone else, only about me'... but to be fair, it's probably more about the agents.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone pointed out to me......as normal working people, if someone walks up to us and offers $100 more a week for the same job, we can take it or leave it. Pro Athletes are stuck. The difference is that they sign a contract. To me, you sign a contract, live up to it or go do something else. %That should be a league rule. You play out your contract or your done forever. AANO franchise or any of that stuff. You sign a 5 year contract and two years later someone else gets more.....too fukin bad. Play out you contract and then see what you can get on the open market. You pull any bullshit. see ya, wouldn't want to be ya.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone pointed out to me......as normal working people, if someone walks up to us and offers $100 more a week for the same job, we can take it or leave it. Pro Athletes are stuck. The difference is that they sign a contract. To me, you sign a contract, live up to it or go do something else. %That should be a league rule. You play out your contract or your done forever. AANO franchise or any of that stuff. You sign a 5 year contract and two years later someone else gets more.....too fukin bad. Play out you contract and then see what you can get on the open market. You pull any bullshit. see ya, wouldn't want to be ya.
The playing out your contract is a different story than whining about the CBA or Tags. I have a little more sympathy because as a UDF you have to take peanuts to prove yourself, but if you prove yourself year one, don't you deserve more?

I know this is a slippery slope between what you agreed to and what you deserve. Now someone will pipe in and say "a team can cut you and not pay what they agreed to pay" but that's not true. Every contract includes the CBA agreement which means the contract actually says the team always has the option to cut you.

Damn this can get log winded fast.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s true, though...if your position is the players have to honor the contract even if you turn out to be underpaid at some point, it’s completely illogical if you don’t also believe the teams are bound to honor the deal even when a player underperforms his salary.

It amazes me that people almost universally favor ownership in these situations just because “the players make a lot of money for playing a game.” Like...the owners make way more money basically just for nothing more than having a lot of money to start with.

Nobody should ever be particularly psyched when your boss is given the power to artificially restrict your earning power, union or not, contract or not.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone pointed out to me......as normal working people, if someone walks up to us and offers $100 more a week for the same job, we can take it or leave it
but now imagine if you wanted to take it but your current boss could just go “well I’m just gonna give you 20 bucks more a week and now you’re not allowed to take that other job.” Contract or not, you gonna tell me that wouldn’t chap your ass a little?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s true, though...if your position is the players have to honor the contract even if you turn out to be underpaid at some point, it’s completely illogical if you don’t also believe the teams are bound to honor the deal even when a player underperforms his salary.

It amazes me that people almost universally favor ownership in these situations just because “the players make a lot of money for playing a game.” Like...the owners make way more money basically just for nothing more than having a lot of money to start with.

Nobody should ever be particularly psyched when your boss is given the power to artificially restrict your earning power, union or not, contract or not.
As with most situations in life, eah instance has to be judged on Its own merits.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I signed a contract and I'm working my way out of it. Slavery has been abolished.
Conditions change a little - roll with it.
How many people would stay with a contract where you are a professional one day only to be selliing door to door the next? I can tell you - I would walk.....

I will piss off a few people here but I am in high demand and I'm getting a lot of offers. Not one organization has asked me why I'm leaving.....

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the deal... If you have a good contract and you want better, shame on you. If you have a crap contract and deserve more, more power to you. Each situation is different and what's good for one goose doesn't automatically apply to the gander.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but now imagine if you wanted to take it but your current boss could just go “well I’m just gonna give you 20 bucks more a week and now you’re not allowed to take that other job.” Contract or not, you gonna tell me that wouldn’t chap your ass a little?

You sign a contract, that's on you. The contract will expire at some point.

Have you ever signed a contract before?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sign a contract, that's on you. The contract will expire at some point.

Have you ever signed a contract before?
Not all situations are the same. Sometimes they have no choice but sign a contract... Feel free to reply "there's always a choice", but I won't agree with you.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all situations are the same. Sometimes they have no choice but sign a contract... Feel free to reply "there's always a choice", but I won't agree with you.

Early round picks and veteran free agents are one issue, late round picks and UFA's are another.

One is expected to perform when signed and the other is hoped to perform.

I agree that the owners have the upper hand and a new CBA is needed that gives the players more leverage in contracts.
We've all seen players play for a big contract, get paid and slack off once the guaranteed money is there. Albert Haynesworth comes to mind. But the UFA gets screwed if they are performing and only getting pennies on the dollar.
On the same token they would like the security of a guaranteed contract too.

Tricky situation that is definitely not one size fits all, or even most.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in real life your boss can't stop you from leaving He can make an equal or better offer, but he can't stop you from taking a 'better' job, unless you have a contract.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early round picks and veteran free agents are one issue, late round picks and UFA's are another.

One is expected to perform when signed and the other is hoped to perform.

I agree that the owners have the upper hand and a new CBA is needed that gives the players more leverage in contracts.
We've all seen players play for a big contract, get paid and slack off once the guaranteed money is there. Albert Haynesworth comes to mind. But the UFA gets screwed if they are performing and only getting pennies on the dollar.
On the same token they would like the security of a guaranteed contract too.

Tricky situation that is definitely not one size fits all, or even most.

But UDFAs are usually signed for a 1 year contract. Smart teams usually see that they will e much better than expected and extend them, like the Patriots did with Malcolm Butler. Usually the kids will take the offer because their present $450,000 salry generally get a big bump and they're more than willing to take a $2M signing bonus and a 4 year $10M contract. Very, very few ever turn down immediate cash.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will piss off a few people here but I am in high demand and I'm getting a lot of offers. Not one organization has asked me why I'm leaving.....

Some people have skills that are extremely hard to find and when a company can sign them on, they usually have a contract in mind to prevent that person from leaving prematurly. The problem usually comes when that person either starts to be taken advantage of or his skills become even more in demand from much better companies. The really good companies start out with a moving and real estate package to whet your whistle.
Those contrctsoften have a 'non-compete' clause that prevent the person from doing the exact same job for 2-5 years. The guys that can think ahead will not sign any restricted contract. The company will most likely back away if the person is critical enough.