• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Patriots' News

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NESN and BST are reporting that this trade has picked up a lot of steam. It's very close to being done and the Patriots and Vikings are just having trouble agreeing to the draft pick(s) that the patriotswill give up in 2020.

The Patriots blew past the exit where they could have picked up a tight end at the NFL Draft to further prepare the franchise for the post-Rob Gronkowski era. Alas, Bill Belichick passed on the position altogether as New England brought back ten draftees from Nashville, none of which were of the tight end variety.

That said, the Patriots' draft is overall looked at as a pretty solid haul that addresses immediate needs along with simply taking the best players available. The only question that really remains is the tight end spot. And it just so happens that there may be one for the taking.

Vikings' Kyle Rudolph was at the center of trade rumors throughout the weekend after Minnesota selected Alabama tight end Irv Smith Jr. in the second round. Couple the addition of Smith and the fact that Rudolph is entering a contract year, the writing could be on the wall that the veteran tight end's time in Minnesota is up. If you're the Vikings now that they have Smith in the fold, that could make Rudolph expendable to try and recoup some assets before you run the risk of losing him for nothing in free agency.
I can't see the Vikes letting him go. They would be better off using a two TE set IMO

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always something interesting about what people think/predict about the Patriots.....

The NFL Draft can often times speak more to players that are already on the active roster, rather than about those coming in. In that spirit, ESPN 's Bill Barnwell put together a piece highlighting a player that is at risk of being cut by his respective team now that the NFL Draft has come and gone.

As it relates to the Patriots, Barnwell's guess is that punter Ryan Allen's time in New England could be up, but also isn't ruling out the possibility of the reining Super Bowl champions quickly moving on from Demaryius Thomas, who they signed just this offseason.

Here's Barnwell's explanation on his take:

You don't think Bill Belichick traded up to draft punter Jake Bailey in the fifth round by accident, do you? I'd also worry a bit about Demaryius Thomas' spot on the roster after the Patriots drafted 6-foot-2 wideout N'Keal Harry in the first round. The former Broncos standout was guaranteed only a $150,000 signing bonus when he joined the team, and if Thomas' rehab from a torn Achilles doesn't go well, the Pats might be more inclined to hand him an injury settlement in August.

For the sixth time in franchise history, the New England Patriots are Super Bowl champions! Take a second to sign up for our FREE Patriots newsletter!

Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio did note that Bailey's presence is for competition. The fact that New England also traded up to select him in the fifth round also would suggest that the team holds his skill set in high regard. Ryan Allen is also just on a one-year deal he signed earlier this offseason. If the Patriots cut him, they'd clear up $1.4 million in cap space.

Allen is fresh off of a stellar performance in Super Bowl LIII, but New England could be looking for fresh blood at the position with Bailey, who does bring some versatility. Not only does Bailey have experience as a punter, but also on kickoffs. That could be an attractive piece of his game that the Patriots could find attractive.

As for Demaryius Thomas, he is a name to keep an eye on throughout the summer. Despite having a history of success in the league and reporters recovering faster than originally thought, the 31-year old is coming off an Achilles injury that could derail his time learning the Patriots playbook and getting some imperative reps with Tom Brady before thing bullets start counting for real in the regular season.

If first round pick N'Keal Harry shows early that he can be an immediate impact player and Thomas struggles, it's not out the realm of possibility they move on. That said, it's more likely they'd simply put him on short-term IR, allow him to full recover from the injury and then come back to the team for the stretch run.

If a veteran is going to go out of these two, Allen's the likely candidate.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like BB wants to go big at WR and DB. Lots of 6'+ kids on this list. Many have that versatility BB likes. Hopefully he finds a gem or two?

Hmmmm someone here said he felt this would be a big draft for the Pats

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I highly recommend watching all of VonAllen Sorts videos. They are very well thought out. His Montana Vs. Brady is superb.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damien Harris

I agree with Nate. I liked the pick when it was announced. I feel like the Pats are kind of back to Bradys early days. Lots of running the ball. Let Brady be Brady when needed. Save his arm. The man did not look 42 on Kimmel last night.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Nate. I liked the pick when it was announced. I feel like the Pats are kind of back to Bradys early days. Lots of running the ball. Let Brady be Brady when needed. Save his arm. The man did not look 42 on Kimmel last night.

Agreed, I mentioned this the other day the Pats have quietly become a run first team, especially in the latter half of the season. This is done on purpose, to save Brady's arm because he is getting old and to draw the defense in. Once teams stack the box to stop the run Brady is going to kill them. We now have a true North South runner, I was not sure it was a position of need but he will make a difference.

Pats Backfield

Sony Michel
James White
Rex Burkhead
Damien Harris

Not a bad deal

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So has Gronk actually signed his retirement paperwork yet? Does anyone know?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, I mentioned this the other day the Pats have quietly become a run first team, especially in the latter half of the season. This is done on purpose, to save Brady's arm because he is getting old and to draw the defense in. Once teams stack the box to stop the run Brady is going to kill them. We now have a true North South runner, I was not sure it was a position of need but he will make a difference.

Pats Backfield

Sony Michel
James White
Rex Burkhead
Damien Harris

Not a bad deal

We also have Nick Brossette. Not likely elite but a bruising runner between the tackles that will likely get stashed on the practice squad. He'll at the very least be a great "tackling dummy" and maybe even an emergency call-up.

Shrine Game notebook: LSU's Nick Brossette could be Blount replacement

Strengths
  • Carries NFL size with compact build and musculation throughout
  • Created short-yardage touchdowns with leg drive and force
  • Low center of gravity creates natural balance
  • Drives through arm tackles
  • Delivers a blow with his lead shoulder
  • Runs under his pads and finishes falling forward
  • Had just one fumble over 247 carries
  • Sure-handed as pass catcher with good concentration
  • Digests blitz alignments and finds his mark
  • Can square up or chop down rushers

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We've seen this movie how many times now? Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are two of the biggest reasons the Patriots have assembled the greatest dynasty in NFL history, but so is the fact that year after year, New England has been able to compensate for talent loss. They've already addressed the losses at wide receiver by adding N'Keal Harry with the final pick in Round 1. The Patriots are easily the best team in the AFC East, and until someone knocks them off their perch, New England's my pick to represent the AFC in Super Bowl LIV."

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the latest Patriots All Access. Hopefully it will load. It's a half hour long but well worth the time to watch all of the new draftees crying about being selected by the World ChampiuonPatriots and watching four guys watch the new Three Games to Glorys (3G2G). I got mine yesterday and spent 5 hours in front of the tube reliving the last three games of 2018. Enjoy.....

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
03ba4d4d-3031-4531-9a85-ea6d96964737.jpeg

Look at all that frustration and animosity. Another Pats season ruined. 4-12.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
03ba4d4d-3031-4531-9a85-ea6d96964737.jpeg

Look at all that frustration and animosity. Another Pats season ruined. 4-12.
It's a smoke screen.
It's been photoshopped.
~The haters~