• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in basketball one bad call might get you 2 points, less than 2% of the total. In football it could cost you 20-50% of your points.

I am not budging on this one, and I'm surprised I get so much pushback. I guess football fans REALLY like football, but I just don't care that much. And one reason is all the yellow flags gumming up the game. Even Tom Brady says that's unwatchable

1 or 2 bad calls could also land a franchise star on the bench watching hopelessly.

I certainly agree 1 bad call is more impactful on a football game, simply because you don’t score as often, and 1 call can either negate a score, or allow potential to score.

But, the wrong bad call at the wrong time can similarly ruin a basketball game. And we have all seen it happen.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they pick at 29 or 30 every year.

A lot harder to find difference makers at those spots.
Agreed...which was why I brought up the Suns. Why were Chriss and Bender busts but Booker is a star. And if someone asked Green if he thought he'd have been a bust if Suns took him think he'd have said, "no doubt"?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed...which was why I brought up the Suns. Why were Chriss and Bender busts but Booker is a star. And if someone asked Green if he thought he'd have been a bust if Suns took him think he'd have said, "no doubt"?

Imo, it's hard to blame a player being a bust on just one thing.

I think there are a lot of factors that come in to play.

For example, a lot of lottery picks these days are "1 and done" guys. Maybe they peaked in high school/freshman year and had they stayed in school another season or 2, their stock would have fallen.

Some guys get paid and quit working.

Sometimes an organization gets fixated on a player and doesn't see the "red flags".

Some organizations seem to do a better job of developing players than others. The Spurs are a great example of this.

And, of course, some organizations just aren't very good with their picks.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, it's hard to blame a player being a bust on just one thing.

I think there are a lot of factors that come in to play.

For example, a lot of lottery picks these days are "1 and done" guys. Maybe they peaked in high school/freshman year and had they stayed in school another season or 2, their stock would have fallen.

Some guys get paid and quit working.

Sometimes an organization gets fixated on a player and doesn't see the "red flags".

Some organizations seem to do a better job of developing players than others. The Spurs are a great example of this.

And, of course, some organizations just aren't very good with their picks.
I'm sure the latter can be true, but to me it's more about the player and his talent combined with how hard he wants to work.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure the latter can be true, but to me it's more about the player and his talent combined with how hard he wants to work.

I agree to a point. But just blaming the player seems a little too simplified, imo.

Sometimes, a guy is considered a bust simply because of where he was picked.

Kwame Brown is considered a bust. But the guy had an 11 year NBA career. If he were a mid to late 2nd round pick, most people probably look at his career and say he was a decent player who made a nice career for himself.

But he was the #1 overall pick, so he's a bust.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to a point. But just blaming the player seems a little too simplified, imo.

Sometimes, a guy is considered a bust simply because of where he was picked.

Kwame Brown is considered a bust. But the guy had an 11 year NBA career. If he were a mid to late 2nd round pick, most people probably look at his career and say he was a decent player who made a nice career for himself.

But he was the #1 overall pick, so he's a bust.
These are good points. But let's be real, a guy going #1 who ends up a journeyman at best is a bust. Now if your point is that's more on the league as seems nearly everyone thought he was at worse a top 5 pick if memory serves I wouldn't disagree that's possible.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are good points. But let's be real, a guy going #1 who ends up a journeyman at best is a bust. Now if your point is that's more on the league as seems nearly everyone thought he was at worse a top 5 pick if memory serves I wouldn't disagree that's possible.

If memory serves, Kwame was drafted out of high school. He may have peaked in high school and had he gone to college, that would have been seen and he gets drafted lower (or not at all).

If the guy just wasn't as talented as he appeared to be, that's not on him, imo.

Not to pick on the Cavs, but it seems pretty clear that Anthony Bennett was picked way earlier than he should have been. Is that on him or the Cavs? Is he still in the league if he were picked in a more appropriate spot?

Lonzo Ball has been flirting some with the bust label and most seem to think that he will never live up to his #2 status. Is that on him? Or is it on the Lakers for letting themselves get caught up in the hype of getting a local kid to "save the franchise" and picking him at #2 when #10 was probably more appropriate for him?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If memory serves, Kwame was drafted out of high school. He may have peaked in high school and had he gone to college, that would have been seen and he gets drafted lower (or not at all).

If the guy just wasn't as talented as he appeared to be, that's not on him, imo.

Not to pick on the Cavs, but it seems pretty clear that Anthony Bennett was picked way earlier than he should have been. Is that on him or the Cavs? Is he still in the league if he were picked in a more appropriate spot?

Lonzo Ball has been flirting some with the bust label and most seem to think that he will never live up to his #2 status. Is that on him? Or is it on the Lakers for letting themselves get caught up in the hype of getting a local kid to "save the franchise" and picking him at #2 when #10 was probably more appropriate for him?
Bennett just a bad draft as no one was really worth going #1, and few worthy of going top 5 who anyone would have taken top 5. Oladipo might be it. Someone was taking Bennett top 5 and he'd still have been a bust as he is at best a journeyman.

But not sure this was what Green was saying. I think he was implying if a team like his took Bennett he would have succeeded, and I don't buy that for a second.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett just a bad draft as no one was really worth going #1, and few worthy of going top 5 who anyone would have taken top 5. Oladipo might be it. Someone was taking Bennett top 5 and he'd still have been a bust as he is at best a journeyman.

But not sure this was what Green was saying. I think he was implying if a team like his took Bennett he would have succeeded, and I don't buy that for a second.

Bennett may not have. But the Lakers were pretty dysfunctional when Lonzo came into the league. When you factor that in, along with a couple of injuries, maybe he would have developed more quickly had he gone someplace else?

He's changed teams and is still young, so maybe we're about to find out? From what I've seen/heard, his shot already looks better than it did with the Lakers.

Some franchises are just good at developing players. I think we all can agree that the Spurs, at least during the Pop era, have been as good as it gets at developing players...maybe Lonzo (or even Bennett) are better if they had gone there? Not saying they'd get Bennett to live up to being the #1 pick, but at least he might not be the poster boy for busts. Maybe Lonzo looks more like a #2 pick?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett may not have. But the Lakers were pretty dysfunctional when Lonzo came into the league. When you factor that in, along with a couple of injuries, maybe he would have developed more quickly had he gone someplace else?

He's changed teams and is still young, so maybe we're about to find out? From what I've seen/heard, his shot already looks better than it did with the Lakers.

Some franchises are just good at developing players. I think we all can agree that the Spurs, at least during the Pop era, have been as good as it gets at developing players...maybe Lonzo (or even Bennett) are better if they had gone there? Not saying they'd get Bennett to live up to being the #1 pick, but at least he might not be the poster boy for busts. Maybe Lonzo looks more like a #2 pick?
No disagreement. But my guess is most teams are like the Suns in my earlier example with Bender/Chriss/Booker.....some are busts, some are studs. I doubt you could get Green to say if the Suns picked him he'd have been a bust.

spurs recently had some guy named Anderson picked around 20 who amounted to nothing. Splitter? Eh. But, yeah, they sure as hell got a lot out of Ginobili, Parker and higher up Kawhi.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@dtgold88

Remember a few weeks ago when I said Trubisky was terrible?

Do you believe me yet?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@dtgold88

Remember a few weeks ago when I said Trubisky was terrible?

Do you believe me yet?
Cannot say I recall what I said, but certainly never thought he was a star or even close to it. And is looking closer to suck than star no doubt.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the Bears were smart with that draft guess who wouldn't be QB-ing for the Chiefs right now...?
They have to be kicking themselves as they could have stood pat and gotten Watson or Mahomes if memory serves...but traded UP and took Trubisky?

Ouch.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we're not supposed to talk football here but @dtgold88 @WiggyRuss Browns are in deep shit if they lose this week. I did not expect Baltimore to win yesterday.

Lose and you're 3 out at pretty much the halfway mark of the season

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we're not supposed to talk football here but @dtgold88 @WiggyRuss Browns are in deep shit if they lose this week. I did not expect Baltimore to win yesterday.

Lose and you're 3 out at pretty much the halfway mark of the season
would be bad, but schedule still favors the Browns. Of course, I thought that might result in a loss by Bmore to Seattle.

Luckily they won in Bmore and can take any tiebreaker with them with a home W. without that they'd be cooked....if they aren't already.