• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what you're getting at, I disagree. NFL games do not get decided by 1 blown call "all the time". In fact, I'd say it's rare.

And before you say "Saints vs. Rams NFC Championship", that call did not cost the Saints the game. The Saints had the lead. If their defense holds, no one is talking about that call.

The game also went into overtime. So the Saints had opportunities to win, they didn't execute.
Right...and that is often the case. Browns got hosed on a play in Oakland last year, but still could have stopped Oakland from scoring when they got the ball, stopped the 2 pointer after, scored themselves in OT or stopped Oakland in OT.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably...but didn't the Ravens just struggle to get a win at home vs. AZ?
I mean- the Ravens might end up being good- but we sure have not found out a lot about them against the Dolphins and Cardinals---- who have probably the 2 worst defenses in the league- or close to.

Cardinals defense is atrocious- they dont even have Patrick Peterson in the defensive backfield.

I think out of the games coming up the Ravens game is the highesst likelihood of winning. Ravens defense is not what it used to be and their receivers are nothing special.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean- the Ravens might end up being good- but we sure have not found out a lot about them against the Dolphins and Cardinals---- who have probably the 2 worst defenses in the league- or close to.

Cardinals defense is atrocious- they dont even have Patrick Peterson in the defensive backfield.

I think out of the games coming up the Ravens game is the highesst likelihood of winning. Ravens defense is not what it used to be and their receivers are nothing special.
They are tough in their place though. I think all 3 other than @NE equally tough....but all winnable.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and watch the game. Baker accuracy was horrible. He was missing simple throws. Not hitting guys when they were open and etc.

The analysis on ESPN did a terrific job of breaking down Baker following the game but yeah let's act like Baker played good last night lol
And here's his throw and "coverage" on his lone INT

71481725_2990181560998227_6531337053127311360_n.jpg

Serious question.....is that reviewable and would/could they call PI if reviewed?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm doing what most players are
And here's his throw and "coverage" on his lone INT

71481725_2990181560998227_6531337053127311360_n.jpg

Serious question.....is that reviewable and would/could they call PI if reviewed?

It is reviewable but these refs don't overturn shit lol

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of the PI being reviewable, but if it is maybe should have tested it out on that one.

I actually have a lot of issues about replay in mostly all sports. I think the refs need discretion to call plays in real time without being second guessed all the time. Their jobs are difficult enough as it is.

In the NBA I particularly hate when they replay who the ball last went off of. There are multiple factors that go into this, but sometimes the refs make the right call on the floor based on the action and not as of an actual result. Like if there was contact that could have been called a foul, but they let it go and they call the ball one way, they can't review the foul portion. They can only review who the ball went off of.

I think much of the same for the PI rule.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of the PI being reviewable, but if it is maybe should have tested it out on that one.

I'm a fan of it after what happened to my Saints last year but it seems like the league told the Rams that if it ain't as blatant as the missed call in the NFC title game then don't reverse the call.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually have a lot of issues about replay in mostly all sports. I think the refs need discretion to call plays in real time without being second guessed all the time. Their jobs are difficult enough as it is.

In the NBA I particularly hate when they replay who the ball last went off of. There are multiple factors that go into this, but sometimes the refs make the right call on the floor based on the action and not as of an actual result. Like if there was contact that could have been called a foul, but they let it go and they call the ball one way, they can't review the foul portion. They can only review who the ball went off of.

I think much of the same for the PI rule.
As I said, agree on PI, but like it for the most part. Guessing the refs, do, too as I doubt they want a gaffe they make costing a team a game (or being a large contributor to a loss).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a fan of it after what happened to my Saints last year but it seems like the league told the Rams that if it ain't as blatant as the missed call in the NFC title game then don't reverse the call.
Kind of like the idea of just having a ref in the booth with the discretion to review and change such a call....or non-call.

And to be fair your Saints had every chance to still win the game. Just like the Browns did when they got hosed by the refs earlier in Oakland (and, yes, far less important game).

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly agree, but think you are minimizing the affect on the home plate ump each game and his strike zone.
The players on both teams have to deal with the umpires strike zone, just like the players on football teams deal with refs calling things tight or loose. My point is not which officals are more subjective, it's simply that balls and strikes almost never determine the game winner, but one bad football call often does

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever happened? Check out World Series between St. Louis and KC. Game 6 I think. 1985. How about the Jeffrey Maier catch from the stands that gave the Yanks an HR that should have been an out?

And those were easy calls.....not to say the blown call for the Rams last year wasn't.
Did the Meier call determine the outcome?

1982 WS yes the guy was safe at first. Only example in history? I'm not budging off my take

1986 was Red Sox Mets. Game 6 was the Buckner game.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what you're getting at, I disagree. NFL games do not get decided by 1 blown call "all the time". In fact, I'd say it's rare.

And before you say "Saints vs. Rams NFC Championship", that call did not cost the Saints the game. The Saints had the lead. If their defense holds, no one is talking about that call.

The game also went into overtime. So the Saints had opportunities to win, they didn't execute.
Fair enough but I'm dug in on this one

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed a couple I'm sure he'd like to have back. Also made some nice throws.

So, yes, you're one of the many who never liked him and will go out of your way to take your shots?

Or, maybe he didn't play that well (as many are saying) because he's a 2nd year qb who defensive coordinators have a book on now and he needs to make some adjustments.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, maybe he didn't play that well (as many are saying) because he's a 2nd year qb who defensive coordinators have a book on now and he needs to make some adjustments.
I never said he played all that well. He was OK. Missed some throws - probably more than he'd like - but also made some nice throws.

which assessment do you think is more accurate

"he was OK - had some good and bad throws"
"he was terrible"

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's harder because calls matter more. It's more difficult because of nature of the sport. In baseball, at most there might be 2 people around the play for the most part that a guy might need to watch. In the NFL there could be half a dozen or more all moving at full speed.

As I think I mentioned, just take a pass to the sideline....one guy has to see if the WR caught the ball...retained control....had both feet in bounds AND the defender did not interfere.

Baseball? Did he catch it or not? Did the guy beat the throw to 1st or not (and you can hear ball hitting glove AND foot hitting base).

I have a couple friends that officiate both basketball and football at the high school level. One of them also does college basketball games.

They both say that basketball is harder to officiate. The main reason is that in football, each official has a specific job looking for specific types of calls. Basketball officials are certainly positioned to monitor certain areas, but their positions change throughout the game and they have to make every call.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that's the thing, really. think defensive coordinators aren't gonna look at film and cook up ways to at least TRY to stop you...?

it IS what they're paid for, after all...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said he played all that well. He was OK. Missed some throws - probably more than he'd like - but also made some nice throws.

So then it wasn't a matter of "one of many that doesn't like him and will go out of their way to take shots".

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the Meier call determine the outcome?

1982 WS yes the guy was safe at first. Only example in history? I'm not budging off my take

1986 was Red Sox Mets. Game 6 was the Buckner game.
Yes, Meier call helped determine outcome.

My example was correct. It was in the 1985 series between KC/St. Louis. Not sure why you bring up the Buckner game in 1986.