• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its crazy though

The Browns traded for a Texans first round pick that we thought would be late teens

because Watson got hurt it became the 4th overall pick and gave us a stud corner in Denzel Ward.

never know how those first round picks will come out.

and seirously- if it means you get Lawrence you will be EXTREMELY happy. He is honestly maybe the best QB prospect since john elway.

I agree on Lawrence. I'm not too sold on Tua. He's got the best WR corp and OL in the nation. Trevor Lawrence decimated Bama last year and made their defense look like shit. He's the guy I want. If I have to sit for two seasons of winless football to get him, I would in a heart beat. But the Dolphins are going to somehow manage fucking this up. And it'd be a situation like the Colts who were lucky to have ended up transitioning from Manning to Luck, only to fuck it up as they don't know how to build around him.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its crazy though

The Browns traded for a Texans first round pick that we thought would be late teens

because Watson got hurt it became the 4th overall pick and gave us a stud corner in Denzel Ward.

and seirously- if it means you get Lawrence you will be EXTREMELY happy. He is honestly maybe the best QB prospect since john elway.

Also, Cleveland overhauled their front office and put competent people in charge. I'm waiting for the day that happens with the Dolphins. Problem with the Phins is that Stephen Ross doesn't know how to hire the right people. I mean, he hired Mike Tannenbaum after he sunk the Jets into mediocrity.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Filipino University Basketball Team Suffers Epic Design Fail

thumbnail

69813007_3536495013034707_1975921041922326528_n.jpg
I needed a good laugh... that's fantastic.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tanking process that they're going towards (they won't admit it, but it's tanking) is the right decision at this point. The problem is, they're giving up on young pieces that they could build the team around (Tunsil, Taylor, etc...). The trade for Rosen is now nullified as it makes no sense to put him behind this OL, and the idea at the beginning of the year was to try him out for a year and see what you have. Since you have the worst OL on paper in history, you now don't know what you have with him and should never had traded for him in the first place.

But the tanking strategy isn't going to work out though. The Phins have been known for bad decision after bad decision. If it takes you tanking for a #1 draft pick to get yourself a quality QB, how are you going to round out the rest of your roster? You should be able to evaluate and find yourself a good QB that doesn't revolve around tanking like Dallas with Dak (he's okay), Big Ben with the Steelers, RW with the Seahawks, etc..

Stephen Ross needs to sell the team. He doesn't know what he's doing, and the people he's hired are just as inept.
Ideally, sure, but let's be honest. Dallas lucked into Dak. In fact, they tried to first trade up to take Lynch and were "beaten out" by Denver. Also took a lot of luck with RW. If they knew what he was do they wait until round 3 to take him?

a few anomalies don't change the fact the best way to find your QB is high in the draft.

I agree with much of the rest of your comments. Not sure why they'd deal Tunsel as I cannot imagine they could not still clear a ton of cap room to time it to have available when it's time to win. and, yes, you need to hit on the extra picks and sign the right players.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we gave up Tunsil who's 24 years old and already at top 5 LT in the league. Those don't grow on trees and evaluating OL at the next level is the most difficult job sans evaluating QBs.
I don't get that one either.

In fact, the one mistake I cannot wrap my head around in the Browns tank was letting Schwartz sign elsewhere. Possible it was all talk and he didn't want to stay but those were not the reports.

And he was already a FA...Tunsel was not.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its crazy though

Have to say, and not to pat myself on the back, because while I was right, it was based on wrong assumptions. when we made that deal I figured it could be a top 10 pick (never imagined 4). Figured they had either a rookie QB or Tom savage. Never imagined Watson would play as well as he did before getting hurt.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Cleveland overhauled their front office and put competent people in charge. I'm waiting for the day that happens with the Dolphins. Problem with the Phins is that Stephen Ross doesn't know how to hire the right people. I mean, he hired Mike Tannenbaum after he sunk the Jets into mediocrity.
Just to be clear, the people who came up with the Browns plan were plenty competent. I would defy you to find a GM in the history of the NFL who walked into a better situation than their current GM......top pick in a QB heavy draft, picks 4, 33, 35, another late 2nd AND $100 mil+ in cap space.

They were able to also set him up with cap carryover that lasted another 2-3 seasons. The Browns ended FA this year with among the highest payroll AND the most cap space remaining. let that sink in.

Brown and Paul Dipodesta were brilliant....and credit to Haslam for buying in as he was told things would get worse before they got better (and that was coming off a 3-13 season).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Lawrence. I'm not too sold on Tua. He's got the best WR corp and OL in the nation. Trevor Lawrence decimated Bama last year and made their defense look like shit. He's the guy I want. If I have to sit for two seasons of winless football to get him, I would in a heart beat. But the Dolphins are going to somehow manage fucking this up. And it'd be a situation like the Colts who were lucky to have ended up transitioning from Manning to Luck, only to fuck it up as they don't know how to build around him.
This is why a complete tank is necessary. Don't half ass it like so-called football guys did here where they kept vets and won 4-5 games instead of bottoming out which was needed.

Granted, it maybe saved him because of the recent announcement, but a couple meaningless wins stopped the Browns from having Luck throwing passes to AJ Green.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear, the people who came up with the Browns plan were plenty competent. I would defy you to find a GM in the history of the NFL who walked into a better situation than their current GM......top pick in a QB heavy draft, picks 4, 33, 35, another late 2nd AND $100 mil+ in cap space.

They were able to also set him up with cap carryover that lasted another 2-3 seasons. The Browns ended FA this year with among the highest payroll AND the most cap space remaining. let that sink in.

Brown and Paul Dipodesta were brilliant....and credit to Haslam for buying in as he was told things would get worse before they got better (and that was coming off a 3-13 season).
they were competent from a strategy perspective, but from a football perspective i just dont think so. I mean, Sashi was one of the guys who recommended and had a big part in hiring Jackson, in signing Kenny Britt, in drafting Corey coleman.

their strategy was sound but the football side was still very much lacking until Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith all came in.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why a complete tank is necessary. Don't half ass it like so-called football guys did here where they kept vets and won 4-5 games instead of bottoming out which was needed.

Granted, it maybe saved him because of the recent announcement, but a couple meaningless wins stopped the Browns from having Luck throwing passes to AJ Green.
i totally agree-- but man its hard to tank in football. Its just different. Its a game where you lay your body on the line. There is nothing sadder than a tanking football team- and nothing more demoralizing. Asking guys to lay their bodies on the line when you are actively not trying to win is a big ask.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they were competent from a strategy perspective, but from a football perspective i just dont think so. I mean, Sashi was one of the guys who recommended and had a big part in hiring Jackson, in signing Kenny Britt, in drafting Corey coleman.

their strategy was sound but the football side was still very much lacking until Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith all came in.
Actually, this is not true. Jackson was Haslem. He was not the FO choice.

Take a look at Sashi's first draft vs. Dorsey's in 2013. Or if you want, compare their 2016 drafts (which was Dorsey's 4th and Sashi's first). KC has only 2 left from that one. Same with the Browns, but they also landed the pick that turned into Ward.

coleman a huge mistake, but plenty of WR misses in that draft made by football guys - Doctson, Treadwell off the top of my head. Ross the next year (top 10). corey Davis (top 5)

All that said, Sashi always said he was not a football guy and a credible GM would be hired. My guess is most of the football moves were made by Berry. All Sashi did was break ties.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i totally agree-- but man its hard to tank in football. Its just different. Its a game where you lay your body on the line. There is nothing sadder than a tanking football team- and nothing more demoralizing. Asking guys to lay their bodies on the line when you are actively not trying to win is a big ask.
Like any tank, the players were trying to win....but have an awful QB and losing cannot really be helped.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does he fit into the “Spurs Model” Golden State is aiming for post dynasty?

*Queer Eye Goes To A Sound Of Music Sing-along*

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
k, this Bears defense is SICK...
I don't care much about the NFL but the teams I like to see do well are the Bears (born in Chicago) and the Raiders (my wife's team)

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care much about the NFL but the teams I like to see do well are the Bears (born in Chicago) and the Raiders (my wife's team)

How does she become a fan of the most thuggish team in the league? Was that a trait that attracted her to you? LOL